Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Problem with drinking . Then becomes anger . And then life crashes

Notices

Old 05-31-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Allo . Drinks been a problem on and off for years with me . But the amount of lies I say when drunk is unreal and very dangerous. I have a nice life o work hard . I'm a del driver around the UK. Ex railway worker .I have always worked . But alot of hard times in my past though drink and alot of people hurt. But along way from that I met and new lady who is my savoir and believes in me . .. I haven't had a real drink for a while and while family circumstances have not been great 2 weeks ago I got mashed so drunk I ruined the neighbours bbq and showed my wife up . Lies and paranoia come as a defence and think my past is going to haunt me . And we have been away for a week this week I thought I would have a drink and I have been so nasty to my wife's friend and had to come home. What's is worse it been the same week my wife's grandma died in our house as we brought her here to get better. I was also not nice in front of my son . Step daughter and to the lady I was horrible too her children there aswell . And another freind I feel real bad and know it's no excuse but it's alchol . And I want to just stop . Same with smoking and my high addiction to sex . And treating my Mrs so bad .
Old 05-31-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Darren
I moved your post to this forum so you'd get some response

sounds like some pretty good reasons for quitting drinking there - any ideas on how you might do that?

D
Old 05-31-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like drinking isn't doing you any good. Might be a good idea to stop drinking.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounding like you are trying to blow up your life? Maybe get some help to understand what lies beneath all the pain you are dealing with. There are many good methods of therapy that can cut through surface issues. Keep reading the various threads and recovery stories, get sober, sounds like you have a lot of good in your life worth working for! Best wishes for you Darren.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I do believe I can just stop but more like when others around me on nights in a nights out will be hard to do. As I like social events and drink will be around . So that's where I need to think about this more and can't just stop going out
Old 05-31-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I hope you decide to stop drinking. It sounds like alcohol is causing a lot of problems in your life. Are you ready to live a sober life?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes
Old 05-31-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Darren3737 View Post
Well I do believe I can just stop but more like when others around me on nights in a nights out will be hard to do. As I like social events and drink will be around . So that's where I need to think about this more and can't just stop going out
I had a lot of attempts at quitting, but failed to make the changes in my life that would support the decision to quit. By that I mean I kept the same habits, did the same things, hung out with the same people, just tried not to drink.

I failed.

To succeed at sobriety, I had to change a lot of things in my life. If alcohol wasn't going to be in my life, I had no business doing things that had alcohol at the center of things. That meant saying no to a lot of invites. But I don't regret it, and now that I've been sober a while, don't even miss it.

You will have to decide how important being sober is, and how important nights out and social events are to you. I'm not saying you have to be a hermit for the rest of your life, but the damage that alcohol is doing to your life and family, it seems like a no brainer. Quit and avoid temptation until you've acquired some sober time.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darren3737 View Post
And I want to just stop .
Great reason. The habits you describe - the patterns - you'll find plenty around here who can relate. You'll also find plenty of us that don't miss it at ALL.

You can stop. I'd say just sober up - detox for a bit - and see what other stuff starts to auto-fix. Kinda hard to deal with everything at once. Many find that many issues clear up to some degree after they've finally just broken the vicious cycle of alcoholism they are mired in.

Good luck, stick around. You aren't alone.

B