Alakid / Alateen

Old 05-29-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Alakid / Alateen

Has your life been affected by someone else's drinking?

Alateen is for young people whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking. Sometimes the active drinking has stopped, or the active drinker may not live with us anymore. Even though the alcohol may be gone, and the alcoholic gone or recovering in AA, we are still affected. Many of us have received help from Alateen or Al-Anon.

Art is a big part of some of the Alakid and Alateen meetings kid has been at.

The following 19 questions are to help you decide whether or not Alateen is for you.

Do you believe no one could possibly understand how you feel?

Do you feel neglected, uncared for, or unloved?

Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else's drinking or what's happening in your home?

Do you stay out of the house as much as possible because you hate it there?

Are you afraid or embarrassed to bring your friends home?

Has someone's drinking upset you?

Are mealtimes, birthdays, and holidays spoiled because of drinking or others' reactions to the drinking?

Are you afraid to speak up for fear the drinking or fighting will start again?

Do you think the drinker's behavior is caused by you, other members of your family, friends, or rotten breaks in life?

Do you make threats such as, "If you don't stop drinking and fighting, I'll run away?"

Do you make promises about behavior, such as I'll "get better grades," or "keep my room clean," or "do anything you want," in exchange for a promise that the drinking and fighting will stop?

Do you feel that if the drinker loved you, she or he would stop drinking?

Do you or your family have money problems because of someone else's drinking?

Are you scared to ride in a car with the drinker?

Do you avoid dating or having close friends because they may find out about the drinking or fighting?

Do you ever treat teachers, friends, team-mates, etc. unfairly because you are angry about someone else's drinking?

My youngest kid started his recovery from this Family Disease of Alcoholism in an Alakid/Alateen program when he was 7 years old.

He arrived mad at me, frustrated and not wanting to go. In the first welcoming reading they read, a genuine smile came out.

Finding support in many places. Alakid, Alateen, Alanon, therapy, and counseling are really good parts of our ever-growing support network.

We were introduced to art therapy through a domestic abuse help center. Art done with a connection to pains we've lived through. Art done with a connection to the healing we're experiencing.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Local Alateen group went out for ice cream last night.

DS & I chatted with another dog owner for a while, about training, fun benefits of having pets, how God brought dogs into our lives.

Waking up today realizing I needed these connections much more than I thought.

#thankyougod
Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

A new Alateen group just started up in another city in our state. Woot! Woot!
Old 07-06-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I want to send my dd to alateen

I told my DD about Alateen and she was like "No way."

But I showed her the website and some of the testimonials and she seems slightly more open.

She is really depressed and has developed a LOT of anxiety due to the chaotic environment she has grown up in.

There is an alateen meeting tonight that she is considering attending. But I have 2 questions.

1) She is almost 13, but still 12. She's pretty mature for her age, looks slightly older and seems like she could fit in with the "teen group." Or should she wait until she is a little older to go?

2) Do you just show up? Is it like an alanon meeting where anyone can just attend? Or, because they are kids, do you have to enroll them somehow?

I should probably just call the phone number.

She is also scared she will run into someone she knows-- to which I replied, "well, then I guess you've seen them too."
Old 07-06-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

There's no wrong way to show up.

Pray. Be honest about her age. See where it goes. No enrollment needed.

If they are a group that holds to a teen age limit, it still can be a good experience to meet the people there and ask about literature.

They likely will have this book available to buy:

Courage to Be Me—Living with Alcoholism
Alateen’s most comprehensive book, filled with shared recovery written by Alateen members.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

I like this quote.