Notices

Hope

Old 05-29-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope

I have had a difficult day after another relapse. I believe getting to day 10 is a very important milestone for me. Alcohollism is a difficult nut to crack. I understand why AA says an alcoholic needs a higher power to keep them away from alcohol. It seems no matter how strong my resolve suddenly a switch flips in my head and I go out and drink. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
I understand why AA says an alcoholic needs a higher power to keep them away from alcohol.
Are you part of the fellowship of AA? If not, go. Perhaps they can help you get to the sobriety milestone you seek.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No I am not a member of AA but certainly am considering it.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
No I am not a member of AA but certainly am considering it.
Don't consider, do it.
AA is everywhere, and all you have to do is walk in the door and sit down.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have looked up meetings in my area and will attend this week
Old 05-29-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To answer your question...Most/all of us have indeed felt a strong urge to drink after resolving not to. It gets a ton easier, but after 3 years I still occassionally romanticize about drinking. The truth is that you can get and stay sober by yourself - with an organization's support, with online encouragement, with a bag of tricks to distract you during the craving times, or none of those - whatever it takes. Your health and safety depend on you taking control, and you are a strong person who can do it!!! So, today is day 1? What are you planning for that troublesome day 10 to stay sober? Something busy and fun would be nice...and then day 11, 12, and so on. We'll cheer for you! (Have you joined the monthly support group? I'm sorry I didn't)
Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, I am 2 months sober and am going to AA. I was at a meeting today and there was lots of talk of Higher Power. Everyone who shared credits their Higher Power, the 12 Steps and the Fellowship of AA keeping them sober. Not just keeping them sober but living decent, worthwhile lives whilst sober.

My last drink nearly killed me. I really didn't know if I was going to survive and in that dark, desolate, despairing void I was in I prayed. I prayed so hard to God. I wanted to live not die and I prayed to remove the obsession of alcohol from me. I believe my prayers were heard. I survived the night and the next day I went to a meeting. I haven't had a drop since and don't desire one.

The people I have met in AA are so supportive. They just want you to get better and they know exactly what you are going through as they have been there themselves. It really is amazing. The meeting I went to today isn't one I normally go to. I picked up a 2 month chip and these men and women, strangers, were so pleased for me!! It was very emotional and I felt truly happy. Why would I then want to go and numb that real feeling of joy with alcohol?!

Please go. You have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain. Good luck!!!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies and encouragement. I will definitely give AA a try. I can honestly say my life with alcohol in it is not worth living. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.👍🏻
Old 05-29-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

High,

If I could not stay clean on my own, I would go to AA.

Something I always remember is this...I have brain damage from drinking and drugs. I needed booze to feel normal.

If I don't feel normal I suffer. I know that if I drink I will feel better for a short time, then I will begin to suffer again. It is a cycle of doom.

Thanks.