Notices

Hope has gone

Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope has gone

I finally plucked up courage to see my Gp about my drinking and hoped he could prescribe naltrexone but he has instead referred me to an NHS drugs and alcohol facility. I phoned the facility and they said it starts with an hour long phonecall then you have to come in for meetings. Thing is, the facility is 40 mins drive away and their opening hours are 9:30 to 5pm - im at work during these hours and I’ve no time off left. I can’t even make the phone call from Work as people will overhear. I’ve tried buying the naltrexone online but the places all want bitcoin payments which I don’t understand how to do. I’d set my heart on this medication, I felt so hopeful and thats all gone. The only other option is AA and im too scared to go. I wish I could just go to sleep and never wake up
Old 05-29-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sweetpea - welcome

I dont too much about naltrexone but if your Dr didn't prescribe it, there must be a reason for that?

As for AA, what about calling your local AA office and arranging for someone to meet you outside a meeting?

D
Old 05-29-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please don’t be scared to go to AA. It’s worth a try!
And we are here, 24/7.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I’d be less scared of calling at an AA than buying drugs off the dark web with bitcoin. You have no idea if they are real and what is in these pills. It’s not worth the risk at all. I understand how frustrating the NHS can be but as Dee says the Dr must have a reason for wanting you to have face to face human support.

Give the AA a call, you can just chat and get comfortable first and meet someone outside of the meeting like Dee advised.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The GP said it’s not their policy to give out the naltrexone to anyone, they have to refer people to the facility. I’ve just called them and the first appointment they have is 13th june so I’ve booked it. Thanks everyone x
Old 05-29-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I’d be less scared of calling at an AA than buying drugs off the dark web with bitcoin. You have no idea if they are real and what is in these pills. It’s not worth the risk at all. I understand how frustrating the NHS can be but as Dee says the Dr must have a reason for wanting you to have face to face human support.

Give the AA a call, you can just chat and get comfortable first and meet someone outside of the meeting like Dee advised.
Thank you, I think I will call them. I’ve been planning to go to a local meeting for weeks but just too scared. I think calling them first would probably help me
Old 05-29-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweetpea74 View Post
The GP said it’s not their policy to give out the naltrexone to anyone, they have to refer people to the facility. I’ve just called them and the first appointment they have is 13th june so I’ve booked it. Thanks everyone x
Welcome. And I am glad you made a couple of decisions.

I took Naltrexone once - at least here in the US it is VERY expensive ($1000 or so a month) and often insurance does not cover it, period. It's meant as a drug to decrease desire to drink, among other things, and it's interesting that this drug is one you wanted to take. By that I mean, a drug like Antabuse can be a tool in early sobriety that might have the edge on an anti-craving alone, if you are committed to abstinence, bc it can make you very ill if you drink on it. Results for drugs like naltrexone or campral vary more because they don't have the possible side effect of death, AND because results are more self-reporting than tangible (Ie, you relay how much you didn't want to drink, say, and that's tougher to measure than if you weren't taking the drug than are the extreme red-face, high BP, seizures etc that can happen when drinking on ANtabuse vs not happen if you don't drink on it). That said, and for whatever reasons your particular dr doesn't want to (just?) prescribe you a drug, there is no cure for alcoholism, and referring you to treatment first (particularly if this is from a GP, who are not typically versed enough in addiction and referring us to folks trained in it is a wise thing) IMO and IME.

I didn't "want" to do AA for a long time- because, essentially, I wanted to keep drinking. I'd venture it's worth your time during this period of waiting.

Bottom line though- I had to get rid of all reasons I couldn't get help, bc they were all dismiss-able if I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. Finally, no expensive rehab or other treatment was an option and AA it was- and it saved my life.

Hope to see you here and best for your choice of sobriety.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would give them a call back or your insurance company for a referral to an addiction therapist. They can help with your addiction issues and prescribe medication if needed.
Also don't think just taking a pill will magically cure your alcoholism. It can be a strong ally on your side, but following a solid recovery plan and the will to stay sober no matter what is where the real magic happens.
AA also is always there from early in the morning until late at night, and likely right by you.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I really wanted Antabuse at first then i read that you have to be careful with perfumes, handwash etc so I started reading up on naltrexone instead. Im definitely still interested in AA but Im daunted by the thought of talking about it in front of people
Old 05-29-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I really wanted Antabuse at first then i read that you have to be careful with perfumes, handwash etc so I started reading up on naltrexone instead. Im definitely still interested in AA but Im daunted by the thought of talking about it in front of people
You don't have to say a word at meetings. All you have to do is walk in and sit down.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post

I'm with MantaLady and Dee on this one. Give AA a call and meet someone outside. I've read this suggestion several times here and EVERYONE is glad they did. As Forward says, you don't have to talk. Please try. ((HUGS))
Old 05-29-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

An important point made above is that you don't have to talk in a meeting. Ever, if you want. (Those who "make" or pressure everyone to speak do exist, but I dislike them and they aren't truly following AA as the only desire for membership is a desire to quit drinking- not speaking in a meeting).

Re the Antabuse- Ingesting the alcoholic substance is the thing, not typically things like applying perfume or lotion or mouthwash....if you find you get a reaction, like say a rash, from a perfume or lotion just stop using it. I should also add that I took Antabuse the first 90 days and my psych had me sign, get witnessed, and date/time taking it every day, on a sheaf of papers she gave me. I also took Campral for the first year or more (I forget) and can honestly say if that's why I had no physical cravings or whether God just smiled on me or whatever, it was a great part of my tool box. I also started taking Ativan as we unearthed my long standing anxiety; I am very careful to take it as prescribed (up to three a day, as needed) since it's a benzo.

AA can be daunting and scary at first, for sure. A lot of the time, in my early days, I would go a little late and leave a little early. I was SO sick when I quit that just going and absorbing was all I could do, and TBH plenty of times I got too restless- or challenged, say- to keep still and stay. That gradually shifted to an enjoyment and regular acceptance of meetings, and only occasional restless legs, so to speak ( I even balked at the Serenity Prayer, I was that sick!)

Perhaps a close friend can accompany you? Someone who cares about you regardless of their own drinking pattern (though I'd say preferrably a sober person whether alcoholic or not, or someone advanced in recovery).
Old 05-29-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That’s a really good idea, I’d definitely feel a lot better going in with someone.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
An important point made above is that you don't have to talk in a meeting. Ever, if you want. (Those who "make" or pressure everyone to speak do exist, but I dislike them and they aren't truly following AA as the only desire for membership is a desire to quit drinking- not speaking in a meeting).

Re the Antabuse- Ingesting the alcoholic substance is the thing, not typically things like applying perfume or lotion or mouthwash....if you find you get a reaction, like say a rash, from a perfume or lotion just stop using it. I should also add that I took Antabuse the first 90 days and my psych had me sign, get witnessed, and date/time taking it every day, on a sheaf of papers she gave me. I also took Campral for the first year or more (I forget) and can honestly say if that's why I had no physical cravings or whether God just smiled on me or whatever, it was a great part of my tool box. I also started taking Ativan as we unearthed my long standing anxiety; I am very careful to take it as prescribed (up to three a day, as needed) since it's a benzo.

AA can be daunting and scary at first, for sure. A lot of the time, in my early days, I would go a little late and leave a little early. I was SO sick when I quit that just going and absorbing was all I could do, and TBH plenty of times I got too restless- or challenged, say- to keep still and stay. That gradually shifted to an enjoyment and regular acceptance of meetings, and only occasional restless legs, so to speak ( I even balked at the Serenity Prayer, I was that sick!)

Perhaps a close friend can accompany you? Someone who cares about you regardless of their own drinking pattern (though I'd say preferrably a sober person whether alcoholic or not, or someone advanced in recovery).
thanks, i suppose I find it difficult to understand how talking could help me which is why id set my heart on the medication. Maybe i need to try everything!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Talking - but more important listening- and finding those who "have what you want" ie the kind of sober life that is happy, joyous and free, clear and full....

In my humble opinion, using as many tools as possible - from my visits to my awesome psych who does therapy not just meds- to AA to sober network of folks to making the next right choice about what I do .... meds....sleep...yoga...the list goes on - best way I can support a healthy life sober.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you, I think I will call them. I’ve been planning to go to a local meeting for weeks but just too scared.
can you explain what youre afraid of? AA is something that can help, so what would the fear be of?
Old 05-29-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thanks, i suppose I find it difficult to understand how talking could help me which is why id set my heart on the medication. Maybe i need to try everything!
how can you find solutions to the underlying problems without talking about them?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sweetpea, I have no experience with either medication, but I know from being around here for many years, there is no magic bullet. Perhaps naltrexone could have been a tool for you, but there would still be much more involved to stopping drinking and staying sober.

But, don't give up hope. Stay focused and find something that works for you.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Please do not be scared of AA; especially as it seems to be your only option right now. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised, or at least relieved once you go.

I had asked my doctor about Naltrexone, too, and he told me it wasn't used for that and so wouldn't prescribe it. I tried other things like meditation and AA was the only one that seemed to work. It was such a relief. It doesn't matter if you can't understand how it could work. If you give it a try, you'll find out. Best wishes to you!
Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
how can you find solutions to the underlying problems without talking about them?
Because I’ve talked about it before online and felt really positive but still not been able to quit.