Notices

Sober from alcohol. But other substances...

Old 05-28-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober from alcohol. But other substances...

Hey everyone
I know the answer to this intuitively
But want to hear how others can verbalize it so I can cement it in my mind

My AV has a new idea
“Alcohol is your problem, you can still party with adderall or mdma, as long as you don’t drink...you’ve never done anything stupid on those substances...you can have your cake and eat it too. Just don’t drink”

I know this doesn’t make sense but I can’t verbalize why

Any thoughts?
SF
Old 05-28-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think your AV has really been pushing this line lately.

I think its fear based. I was terrified of having no safety net.

As for other things being no problem or not as bad as alcohol, I never met something I liked that I couldn't get hooked on.

I never drank until I did I never smoked weed, until I did, I never did both at once, until I did...

The problem wasn't alcohol, or drugs or whatever else for me, the problem was me trying various futile and dangerous ways to change my reality and escape.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 05-29-2018 at 01:29 AM. Reason: error
Old 05-28-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't even imagine trying to do mdma without alcohol. Sounds awful. For myself i want to experience life raw, without a chemically altered state of mind. I've had enough partying days for my life, I'm ready to have fun and experience things in a new way, without alcohol and drugs. I know my body and brain will thank me.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe because it's just pushing your addiction onto other things. Cross-addicting and continuing to act out. Transferring the problem rather than working on the solution (recovery).
Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

My AV has also put drugs on the table a few times. I used to go to a lot of festivals and soundclashes, smoked weed, did speed/mushrooms/acid. I didn't really do much mdma as it was too strong for me. I also never abused drugs, only took small quantities, always knew my limits, could take it or leave it and never drunk alcohol at the time either. So my AV does profer this as a possible way of future relief without alcohol. The way my alcohol addiction got sneakily worse over the years, came back 10 times angrier after each attempt at sobriey...well, I just don't want to risk it. It's all poisen at the end of the day and you never know what's in the drugs or what they are cut with, some mdma that was floated round my area about 7 years ago had more heroin in it than mdma. You just don't know what your getting anymore. That is why I can quosh th AV talk in that respect.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

soberFitness, this is something you have to have a conversation with yourself about. I actually just did that myself and, for once, I was completely honest with myself. I've tried to quit drinking several times and thought "Hey, I'll just smoke weed from now on. That will do the trick." NOPE! One thing will always lead back to the others. Like Dee said, booze, weed, whatever, it's really all the same since you're just altering your mind in some way or another. But I'll tell you, since I decided that I was going to be clean and sober 100% and just removed the possibility of ever drinking or doing any drugs again, I've been on the best high I've ever felt. It's incredibly liberating. I never, ever thought I would say something like that but it's true.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still smoke cannabis, but not as a replacement for alcohol. I have a plan to stop smoking that too. I just can't handle quitting alcohol and weed at the same time. I've never used any other drugs but given the choice I think complete sobriety is the ideal equilibrium for most.

I'd be a bit surprised the same way too if someone said that to me.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by soberFitness View Post
Hey everyone
I know the answer to this intuitively
But want to hear how others can verbalize it so I can cement it in my mind

My AV has a new idea
“Alcohol is your problem, you can still party with adderall or mdma, as long as you don’t drink...you’ve never done anything stupid on those substances...you can have your cake and eat it too. Just don’t drink”

I know this doesn’t make sense but I can’t verbalize why

Any thoughts?
SF
Your an addict - the substance is not the problem. Does that help "cement" it in your mind?

You can play these games with your AV over and over, but the one thing that will kick it to the curb is to just accept that you are indeed a person with addictive tendencies. And accept that complete sobriety from all mind altering drugs is the only possible solution.