Notices

Two Years Sober - Today

Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Years Sober - Today

Hello All

I just wanted to pop by and let you know that today marks two years since I stopped drinking.
SR and the wonderful people here were so important to me when I first stopped and as I finally began the process of stopping drinking.

I'm posting this not for plaudits for my own success but as maybe a little beacon of hope to others who are starting their sober journey or are beginning to think about stopping drinking.

I can honestly say, if I can do it then anyone can. I fought bitterly against stopping and spent many many years in denial before I finally accepted that I was an alcoholic and I had to stop.

I was very much like a cat going into the bath as I tried to stop over and over again, I made so many excuses about myself and reasons why I shouldn't / couldn't stop.

Its not been easy to get to this point and I'm well aware i'm still in the early stages of life long sobriety but I do take strength from knowing I have got to this point.

I can't really offer advice about how to stop as I firmly believe each of our experiences are completely unique. But the one thing I will say is that in the early stages you just have to get through each day anyway that you can, it doesn't matter how early you go to bed, how many people you offend, how many social events you decline, the important thing is just getting the time under your belt.

It makes me very frustrated when I see people post on here that they've got xx days sober and they are going to test themselves by going to a bar, seeing friends drinking etc etc.... you are setting yourself up to fail with those types of behaviours. Just focus on yourself, love yourself and get through each day. Nothing builds your strength more than time.

Thanks for reading lovely SR people, you've helped me more than words can ever express.

Lots of love

Wibble

x
Old 05-28-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats Wibble and thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two years sober!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on two years and thanks for sharing your story wibble🙂
Old 05-28-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Very well done
Old 05-28-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on your two year milestone Wibble! I agree with your advice for people starting out. It’s what I did and it’s worked so far. Take it day by day in the beginning. Avoid all situations where alcohol is present. I would even turn the channel on the tv if I saw drinking, lol. To me It is similar to learning to drive. Doesn’t much matter what you do. You just have to accumulate enough hours doing it until you don’t even think about doing it. Anyways, congrats!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, wibble!

Congratulations on 2 years!!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Wibble! It's good for people who are struggling to read these success stories and know that they can do it too. Wishing you all the best in continued sobriety.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I love the cat in the bath metaphor.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Well done and thanks for sharing!
Old 05-28-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great congratulations, Wibble!
Old 05-28-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on two years Wibble!!!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations! So inspiring!!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

2 years - how wonderful, wibble! I'm very happy for your new life.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job Wibble. Thank you for your wise words. Very good advice in my opinion.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wibble, thank you so much for stopping by and offering words of support and encouragement for us newbies. It is so motivating. And congratulations on two years! I hope to be where you are one day.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words.

SR has and always will be a source of great strength, love and kindness.

One day after another, one foot in front of the other, just keep moving forward. It doesn't matter how slowly. The biggest asset you have in all of this is time.

Much Love

X
Old 05-29-2018, 01:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good man Wibble - congrats

D
Old 05-29-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wibble;6909497

[B
I can honestly say, if I can do it then anyone can. I fought bitterly against stopping and spent many many years in denial before I finally accepted that I was an alcoholic and I had to stop.[/B]

I was very much like a cat going into the bath as I tried to stop over and over again, I made so many excuses about myself and reasons why I shouldn't / couldn't stop.

Its not been easy to get to this point and I'm well aware i'm still in the early stages of life long sobriety but I do take strength from knowing I have got to this point.

I can't really offer advice about how to stop as I firmly believe each of our experiences are completely unique. But the one thing I will say is that in the early stages you just have to get through each day anyway that you can, it doesn't matter how early you go to bed, how many people you offend, how many social events you decline, the important thing is just getting the time under your belt.

It makes me very frustrated when I see people post on here that they've got xx days sober and they are going to test themselves by going to a bar, seeing friends drinking etc etc.... you are setting yourself up to fail with those types of behaviours. Just focus on yourself, love yourself and get through each day. Nothing builds your strength more than time.

x
Congratulations! Getting into our third year is super, isn't it?

Just highlighted a few of your thoughts that are mine too.

Especially one that also worries me when people say it....choices. I took exceeding caution with myself and my choices of "people, places, and things" for a long time - by that I mean, first out of town trip was three days with my parents; first "real" out of town trip was at 9 months, to DC with my now husband, and including a reach-out with my estranged brother; my first party? 14 mo; wedding? 17 mo....and it wasn't fear of drinking, it was self-protection and gradually figuring out what I liked doing best. Testing myself still has zero place in my life in recovery. I still say NO to absolutely anything that might ruffle the feathers of my emotional sobriety.

Thanks for sharing- keep going!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rar

Congratulations on your sober time Wibble. Your post really inspired and motivated me. I loved it!. ........"getting time under your belt". Thank you!