Notices

A bit of reality hit!

Old 05-27-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A bit of reality hit!

Last night my husband & I went over to a friends house for dinner. He had been drinking wine while preparing the food. I don't know how much he had to drink before we got there.
He is an exceptional good cook. However, he over salted the steaks and other side dishes. The steak was a little tough and a bit over cooked as well.
The big "Ah Ha" moment for me is I was looking in a mirror of myself when I chose to drink and cook. I use to get mentioned to me that I over salted this or that when I thought I was in total control. I could see what my husband and grown children saw in me in our friend. Bam! It totally hit me.
Hope everyone is having a safe & sober weekend.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly have a different perspective now on how 'functional' I was.
Have a good weekend LivingInLV

D
Old 05-28-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've experienced the same feeling recently seeing a few old photos of meals I've made. I love cooking and always loved finishing a bottle of wine to myself while preparing the food. Here's to proper sober salting.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I can relate to this.
Most of my cooking over the past 20 years in the afternoons/evenings was done whilst drinking. I don't think I even considered cooking for friends without having at least most of a bottle of wine in me before they even arrived. Then to have a drink when they did arrive, pretending it was only my second drink so far (!). Looking back, I must have seemed wasted but no one said anything. Either I hid it very well (doubtful) or they just didn't say anything (most likely). All very embarrassing to me now.
I have yet to cook for friends as I'm early into sobriety but in two weeks' time I will be. However I reckon I'll be just fine if I continue with my daily plan.
CC