Notices

I'm nearly forty! How old were you when you stopped?

Old 05-27-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I'm nearly forty! How old were you when you stopped?

It's DAY 1 again for me. I find it really difficult to stay on the wagon for any length of time.

I'm scared I have done irreparable damage to my body, so much so that I almost try to convince myself it's too late for me and I might as well go on drinking. I have smoked for approximately twenty-five years and drank irresponsibly for the same amount of time, can I really have got away with that?! I had my liver tested a few years ago and was told that I had raised liver enzymes. I stopped for 9 months, and then drank once a month for a about a year...and gradually it has crept up until I have been back drinking every day again.

So...I was wondering how old you were when you stopped and whether you 'got away with it'?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My problem drinking started around 40 years old and I quit when I was 48. Its never too late to save your own life.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

35 and have only been stopped for 9 days!! I’m scared too, but know by quitttthat I’m doing the best thing I can do for my body and liver!! It’s NEVER too late! Stop drinking and know that things can only go up! The fact that you stopped a few times probably gave your body a much needed break, now it is time for a permanent break for the toxins of booze!��. Just remember that the liver is very forgiving and resilient! Heal your body, give it good foods and rest, and In betting you will heal up brilliantly, but you have to give it TIME!! Welcome aboard the sober bus! It’s a good place here!
Old 05-27-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

33 ... 7 days in
Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
My problem drinking started around 40 years old and I quit when I was 48. Its never too late to save your own life.
Eight years damage! I know you mean well, but I think sometimes it is too late. My granddad died of an alcohol related disease at thirty-eight. It frightens me that I might have left it too late.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmbyMarie View Post
35 and have only been stopped for 9 days!! I’m scared too, but know by quitttthat I’m doing the best thing I can do for my body and liver!! It’s NEVER too late! Stop drinking and know that things can only go up! The fact that you stopped a few times probably gave your body a much needed break, now it is time for a permanent break for the toxins of booze!��. Just remember that the liver is very forgiving and resilient! Heal your body, give it good foods and rest, and In betting you will heal up brilliantly, but you have to give it TIME!! Welcome aboard the sober bus! It’s a good place here!

Thanks, Amby! Good luck to you, and yes it's true I probably did give my body some time to repair.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Couple things-
my mom started her alcoholic drinking at 42. I was 11 then; for most of my teens and through college she was on and off a recovery plan. She had a relapse when I was 29. So technically, she has been sober almost 13 yrs this time (I think). She's 72 now so she's faced certain problems with aging and over these years, some of her struggles have been possibly a result of her years of drinking. Or not.

More specifically to you- I quit at 39 and a half after probably a 7-8 year VER2Y hard drinking life. I am now 27+ mo sober and will turn 42 this summer. My live was direly close to cirrhosis but normalized around 90-100 days. There are certain things like meds I can't take bc of the history of liver damage; I am sure I lost brain cells that haven't reformed. I am very active but also get very tired. I am sure there are other things that alcohol- or entering my 40s- contributed to as far as my physical and mental health now.

The bottom line is nothing will get better if you don't quit.

Your experience is going to be your own, as far as your health, so we can only offer our experiences.

A team of great drs- GP, psych, liver and now ortho for a recent back injury- is central to maintaining the good, healthy life (my habits and such are strong plusses too).

Being sober means you've got a chance to live the best life possible NOW. I hope you go for it. IMO if you're still alive, it can only get better.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I'm scared I have done irreparable damage to my body, so much so that I almost try to convince myself it's too late for me and I might as well go on drinking. I have smoked for approximately twenty-five years and drank irresponsibly for the same amount of time, can I really have got away with that?! I had my liver tested a few years ago and was told that I had raised liver enzymes. I stopped for 9 months, and then drank once a month for a about a year...and gradually it has crept up until I have been back drinking every day again.
Eight years damage! I know you mean well, but I think sometimes it is too late. My granddad died of an alcohol related disease at thirty-eight. It frightens me that I might have left it too late.
Well, why don't you visit your doctor? No reason to assume the worst.

My dad (and other people I've known) DID wait too long and died young - but if you're still fairly healthy there is always a good chance that your body will repair itself.

Many of us drank too much for many years and we are physically fine in recovery. The liver is amazingly regenerative when given the chance to recover.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Couple things-
my mom started her alcoholic drinking at 42. I was 11 then; for most of my teens and through college she was on and off a recovery plan. She had a relapse when I was 29. So technically, she has been sober almost 13 yrs this time (I think). She's 72 now so she's faced certain problems with aging and over these years, some of her struggles have been possibly a result of her years of drinking. Or not.

More specifically to you- I quit at 39 and a half after probably a 7-8 year VER2Y hard drinking life. I am now 27+ mo sober and will turn 42 this summer. My live was direly close to cirrhosis but normalized around 90-100 days. There are certain things like meds I can't take bc of the history of liver damage; I am sure I lost brain cells that haven't reformed. I am very active but also get very tired. I am sure there are other things that alcohol- or entering my 40s- contributed to as far as my physical and mental health now.

Your experience is going to be your own, as far as your health, so we can only offer our experiences.

A team of great drs- GP, psych, liver and now ortho for a recent back injury- is central to maintaining the good, healthy life (my habits and such are strong plusses too).

Being sober means you've got a chance to live the best life possible NOW. I hope you go for it. IMO if you're still alive, it can only get better.

That's very interesting and helpful. I really appreciate your reply. Thank you.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, why don't you visit your doctor? No reason to assume the worst.

My dad (and other people I've known) DID wait too long and died young - but if you're still fairly healthy there is always a good chance that your body will repair itself.

Many of us drank too much for many years and we are physically fine in recovery. The liver is amazingly regenerative when given the chance to recover.
I'm frightened of seeing my GP in case it's bad news. I know that will sound silly. What I'm planning to do is stay sober for a few months before seeing my GP.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
J50

That's very interesting and helpful. I really appreciate your reply. Thank you.

I'm frightened of seeing my GP in case it's bad news. I know that will sound silly. What I'm planning to do is stay sober for a few months before seeing my GP.
If you see your GP now and get blood work, you will be able to see the difference a few months later. Why wait? Bad news now can be worse news later.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Couple things-

Thank you for sharing your story!! Well done on your sobriety! Curious when you say heavy drinking for 7-8 years... was it a daily drink problem, binging? I love to hear stories of recovery and living a healthy lifestyle!
Old 05-27-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I quit nearly five years ago at age 54 after 34 years of daily drinking.
I ran my first half-marathon about 1.5 years ago, practice meditation daily, and eat a vegetarian diet.
Regardless of age or years spent drinking, it’s never too late to make a positive change in your life.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started drinking 'acoholicly' around 35 and started quitting when I was 40. off/on/off/on and went full stop around 41. I was a bit concerned about what damage I had done,but the main reason behind my quitting was my happiness. I was wrapped up in a miserable existense. I wasn't broke or living on the streets,but I was truely unhappy with my life. Now I'm a bit over 16mo and am starting to be happy again. Even sitting at home alone watching tv..I'm at peace and content.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by Ornithology View Post
I ran my first half-marathon about 1.5 years ago, practice meditation daily, and eat a vegetarian diet.
Regardless of age or years spent drinking, it’s never too late to make a positive change in your life.
Great inspiration day 1 for me
Old 05-27-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ornithology View Post
Impressive! Apparently a whole food, plant based diet is very beneficial to one's health. Something I'm looking into.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I chose sobriety almost 5 years ago.... it’s been wonderful. I also smoked and drank for 25 years or more....

In my experience - SOBRIETY will serve you a bajillion times more deeply than drinking.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I developed a dependency on alcohol in my late 50’s, having been a “normal” (whatever that means) drinker for my adult life.
I chose sobriety (thank you, FreeOwl) at 62.
Like you, I felt that my drinking was my destiny, having had a ton of alcohol addiction on both sides of my family.
Wrong. I just told myself that so I could keep drinking.
My way became clear when I finally accepted in my heart and mind that drinking was not the way to go for me.
Good luck.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was 44 when I last drank, I was trying to quit for over a year prior to that. I was in the early stages of liver disease. High liver enzymes, dull ache, black tar stools, bitter bile taste in my mouth. It took over 2 years after being told my liver was in danger to actually stop drinking. Haven't drank in almost 16 months now and starting to feel a lot better.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm 42 , drank every day since i was 19/20 which slowly got more and more over the the years , smoked everyday since i was 15 .. packed up smoking 3 years ago , i have been sober for 19 days ..Its never too late to stop :-)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

At the age of 30, with the help of family,
AA recovery program and my HP -
Higher Power, my first full sober
day is August 11, 1990 . Some 27
yrs of continuous sobriety incorporating
an effective recovery program to
achieve the Promises and gifts in life
to enjoy, to be grateful for and never take
for granted.

This is how it has and still works for me.