Notices

Rough Saturday night

Old 05-26-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough Saturday night

Having a rough Saturday night. My friends who drink are out drinking, and my new sober friends in AA are out right now but I'm just feeling so down. I feel like I don't fit in anywhere. I obviously can't go to a bar because I'll get so triggered I won't be able to handle myself, but I don't know how to interact with sober people yet either. Everyone seems so happy and comfortable in their sobriety and I'm just not there yet. I'm feeling stuck. I know things will get better it's just a rough Saturday night
Old 05-26-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Maybe just relax and home and watch a movie?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having a rough Saturday night. Posting to SR while you’re in limbo between the two worlds seems like a pretty good thing to do! Can you get a fantastic night of sleep or do something you’ve been putting off doing or look into volunteering somewhere or check out a new show or just keep posting here until you feel better? It’s okay to feel down. But from where I’m sitting you are doing wonderfully just being on here and not doing either thing if it doesn’t work for you right now. Take good care.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice job popping in here and posting. Shows that you want this more than you might even know, I think I ended up here a lot over the years because I was dying to finally get straight.

Nothing wrong with a crummy Saturday night. Staying sober is the win you gave yourself. Nice work. You'll not regret not drinking in the morning.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hanging out on this website is a good way to pass the time on a Saturday night.

Times when you feel like this will decrease as you get more sober time.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Hanging out on this website is a good way to pass the time on a Saturday night.

Times when you feel like this will decrease as you get more sober time.

There it is.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Go to a movie, ball game, or some other pastime you can do where alcohol is not the focus. You don't have to be a socialite to enjoy time with yourself. Find a hobby or something similar where you can have fun being creative. At this time of the night I would be curling up and snoring like a chainsaw in a log cutting competition.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just have a nice at home night and get comfy with it. do jammies, silly/sappy/stoopid movies, comfort food, that 20 minute seaweed mask that you've never had time for.......pick one or more of those decluttering, downsizing, minimalisting methods and adapt it. get in touch with your immediate surroundings and make them represent the "new" you.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, bringmeback. It's very good that you posted here. You will become more comfortable as you get more familiar with sobriety. I'm making some microwave popcorn and watching Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Wishing you peace tonight.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Bringmeback - wishing you the best of luck. I'm with the others - do something easy - watch a movie or binge watch a tv series.

Here is my Saturday night - I just did a 7PM AA meeting - it is now 9PM. Your post has inspired me to do something - though it is dark - I'm going to grab my dogs and do a 3 mile walk with flash light- then come back and watch some tv - post a few posts on this site perhaps - and then have a great nights sleep.

C.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In one city I was in the local young people's group met on a Saturday night and then went for a meal. It made a great night out. It was a really good vibe, boys and girls together, all looking out for each other, nothing seedy going on, just recovery.

I am usually home with my wife. But I still get times where I think I could be doing something better with my time than sitting around home. This was more often in early sobriety. There was nothing worse than finishing a day feeling like I had wasted some of it.

Things that I did on a good night were calling other alcoholics and having a yarn, trying to help someone less fortunate, reading the literature or maybe coming to grips with some steps work. This was all time invested in my recovery and I never regretted doing it.

I must admit it was harder pre step five. I was happier to be alone after that, in fact it made a big difference.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Oh, you are not alone with having rough nights! I have them, too. Posting is a very smart thing to do! We are all ready to get you through the rough pathches so that you come out stronger! Then you can pay it forward to help someone who needs it! Hope today is a great day for you!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

You can always come ride with us on the Sober Bus thread! We have lots of fun and are very friendly!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I remember rough nights when I felt I was missing out.

Nowadays I really enjoy those 'rough nights' when there's no need to be 'out' and just staying at home or going for a walk are fine by me.

Honestly, though I can remember that feeling of missing out, being lonesome, pining away a bit at the 'poor me' of it all - it's a faded and insignificant memory alongside all the positive sober memories of a cherished life.