Notices

Long weekend confusion

Old 05-25-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long weekend confusion

Folks, AV is nagging , whispering non stop with stuff like "Hey its friday and long weekend. Whats up with you? Dont you want to have any fun at all, idiot?".
I do not think I can stop myself this weekend. I feel so like - let me grab a beer. Shall I? Will a couple of pints today, Sat or Sun (just one out of three days) hurt me?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

when was the last time you had TWO of anything and then STOPPED?

think of how great it will feel to get thru this weekend sober. you can totally have fun not drinking........in fact, drinking ruins any fun.

time to get out of your head and get you hands busy doing something....
Old 05-25-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't speak for you, but it would hurt me if I drank. Do you want to be sober?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sure have a drink, then the drink will have a drink and then the drink will have you.

That's how it goes, and you know this, as all of us really do deep down.

Is it worth it?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

How did you get on at the Paint and Cider event last Friday calmself?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Dont you want to have any fun at all, idiot?".
Is your AV telling you how awful you might feel the next day? The people you've potentially hurt? The things you've possibly done? The guilt, shame, anxiety, feeling of failure, the next day? Is it telling you to just stop at one drink, two drinks, one DAY?

Your AV is only going to tell you what it wants, it's biased, one-sided, the least supportive idea in your head. It wants you to fail, because every day sober is the less power it has over you.

You are already recognizing this weekend will be hard for you. Stay close to SR, post often, and remember why you started your sobriety to begin with.

You CAN do this.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I have realized

1. No amount of alcohol will satisfy me.
2. The pleasantness of alcohol is only in the first drink but that is the bait/trap
3. The first drink brings additional anxiety than before after it wears off and hence the other drinks have to follow
4. Life is too good without alcohol. I do not need alcohol to relax, have a good time, socialize.
5. The bad in me comes out during drinking - this can never be good for me or for anyone around me.
6. It spoils my mood, my appearance, my bank balance, my reputation and most of all my integrity and self image
7. Alcohol saps me of my energy and time. I feel tired all the time when I drink, except during the first 1 hour or so. This is not worth it.
8. I realized all the movies I saw with alcohol were boring and unintelligent. Even good ones..Why? Because, I was dull and stupid not to appreciate good things in life when drinking
9. My body and mind heat up rapidly few hours after drinking leading to confusion, severe anxiety, self loathing, guilt and loss of confidence
10. I had to take sleeping pills to sleep after heavy drinking. Deadly combo
11. It put me into dangerous situations - driving on two lines, fearing a cop will come behind me with lights and arrest me
12. Alcohol will take me to that dangerous place slowly and get rid of me. AV is behind me all the time - he sneaks on me, slides under me, pretends he is supporting me, but I now know his real nature.
13. Do not get cheated - life is extremely happy without alcohol. You are much stronger, you can emerge free, happy, hopeful, successful, peaceful, loving, intelligent, creative without alcohol.

Thank you for reading!
Maybe read back the post you made a few days ago might help?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mantalady, Thank you so much for asking. I had two pints of light beer, I could not resist . Today back to day 7. Now you know why i am so silent in the May thread. This time I push it to more than 9 days.

Thank you all for reminding me. I am feeling so confused and edgy.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

that confused and edgy feeling comes in when we have not made a full commitment.....when we leave that back door open.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
sure have a drink, then the drink will have a drink and then the drink will have you.

That's how it goes, and you know this, as all of us really do deep down.

Is it worth it?
this.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Early sobriety isn’t all that fun. The only way
To get past early sobriety and on to the fun stuff is to tough it out and not drink.

It sucks for a while. Then it gets better. It’s really that simple.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Your silence and lack of updating us on how it went spoke a thousand words. I knew exactly why you had gone on radio silence, was hoping you would be honest at some point and glad to see you have No good can come from hiding drinking if you want to beat this, it just makes you feel worse and unable to reach out as you feel like you've let people down and then a drink just seems like a good idea and so on. If you want to have a sober life you can, we all can! You just need to commit 100, put in the hard yards and be honest with yourself xx
Old 05-25-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I could not resist.
Really?
Old 05-25-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do not think I can stop myself this weekend.
with that attitude- defeated already, no you cant stop yourself.change that attitude and you can stay sober this weekend.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What helps me is to remember how I felt on day 1. I never want to be back to day 1 again.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Will a couple of pints today, Sat or Sun (just one out of three days) hurt me?
Yes, those 20 or 30 drinks will hurt you substantually.
Why not use the holiday by supporting it? I'm sure countless outlets are looking for volunteers to help with the memorial day ceremonies
Old 05-25-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As many people in this forum have mentioned before, drinking is a choice. You make the choice to take that first drink, so choose not to. The problem is when you decide on that first drink you are sober, so you think you can just have one or two then stop. Once that one drink enters your system, your ability to stop after one or two is massively compromised as you are no longer thinking clearly and alcohol is in the driving seat.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

@lessgravity, Really. I thought, let me have a couple of pints and stopped exactly at that. No desire after that. Unfortunately, even that was too much for me.

@Forward12, Not sure what you mean by 20, 30. I was talking about 2 or 3. Having said that, just to beat the boredom I planned a trip to deception pass tomorrow to enjoy nature and go for a trek.

@Mantalady, My god. you found out??? I thought no one noticed.

@tomsteve, you are spot on. it's all how resolute I am. If i think, what the heck anyways I dont drink much, then I will find myself sitting at the pub one of these 3 days. I will try my best not to think that way.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

@Forward12, Not sure what you mean by 20, 30. I was talking about 2 or 3.
Forward's point was that there's every chance 2 or 3 will lead to substantially more.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

@lessgravity, Really. I thought, let me have a couple of pints and stopped exactly at that. No desire after that. Unfortunately, even that was too much for me.

@Forward12, Not sure what you mean by 20, 30. I was talking about 2 or 3. Having said that, just to beat the boredom I planned a trip to deception pass tomorrow to enjoy nature and go for a trek.

@Mantalady, My god. you found out??? I thought no one noticed.

@tomsteve, you are spot on. it's all how resolute I am. If i think, what the heck anyways I dont drink much, then I will find myself sitting at the pub one of these 3 days. I will try my best not to think that way.
Think you missed my point. How couldn't you resist? That's bs. You drank bc you wanted to drink more than you wanted to stay sober. Until you leverage that in the balance of sobriety, drink you will.