Notices

Anxiety & Alcohol

Old 05-25-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety & Alcohol

Good morning to everyone, now first of all I extremely apologise if I am posting this in the wrong section, here is my story.

I was once addicted to cannabis for 5 years, I managed to stop using and have been off cannabis for about 4 years now. The problem is I replaced cannabis with Alcohol. All seemed ok at first, but now I think it is just messing my whole
Body and mind up.

So for about 4 years I had been drinking 12 units of 40% Brandy every single day, not one day off. I put on an extreme amount of weight, so fast, so I have now decided to cut down and I now drink up to 4 500ML cans, which is 8 units of Fosters Lager every single day, I have been on this amount for 2 months now.

I am getting extreme anxiety, my legs just do not stop shaking, the weird thing is you cannot see them shake but it feels like they are constantly vibrating internally? This all started about a year ago now and I thought where I have cut down why am I getting this weird shaking, and the other thing I cannot work out is some days I will feel absoloutely fine, no shaking at all?!

I have also started to do 30 minutes on my treadmill every day now since switching to Lager as I desperately want to lose weight.

Now here is what I would please like to ask you, can alcohol make you sweat extremely? I totally understand I am not skinny but I promise I am not hugely overweight, it just seems that I get out of breath and sweat extremely and my heart races so much it is unbelievable and so frightening.

I have been to the doctors about this and they have said there is nothing wrong with me at all, I have had heart tests and all blood tests done. I just can't work out how my friend who drinks even more than me, and honestly he does drink more than me and does never seem to get any anxiety at all, no sweating, nothing, how the hell can this be possible? Also no shaking (again I can't see my legs shake but it feels like they are inside, and some days it completely disappears even tho I am consuming the exact same amount of alcohol!

One thing I will say is I am going to try my best and with all my willpower to reduce my alcohol intake from 8 units down to 4 units soon. I can honestly say I hate the disgusting, poisonous crap but I still drink it, and why? Well I am pathetic that is why.

So basically I just can't work out why I have so many symptoms, and my friend who drinks more does not get any hangovers, nothing, of course I am very happy for him but it just terrifies me something is wrong with my body other than alcohol, or is it just a fact that alcohol affects everyone's body in different ways?

The doctors have told me I am fine, no problems, obviously to just think about my alcohol intake, I just can't stop worrying about my health.

I promise you, any reply I get here I will be so greatful and appreciative that I will never be able to thank you enough and I am sorry for such a huge post, I just honestly do not know who to talk to about what I am experiencing.

Thank You
Old 05-25-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

W
Old 05-25-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawal can definitely make you sweat a lot.

I moved from pot to booze too. I spent 30 years addicted to something.

My advice is to not settle for second best John - go for the gold - cut booze out entirely - you can learn to live addiction free

If you're worried about withdrawal, the safest thing to do is see your doctor.

I could barely make 3 days sober once - I've been clean and sober in 2007.

If I can do it...

This community will help a lot.

D
Old 05-25-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i think you need to go back to the doctor be honest about how much you have been drinking. Then with the doctor set out a plan to detox and then stay sober for a good period of time and if the shaking stops then you know that you were suffering from alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I would commit to stopping now. Don't worry about how much other people drink just focus on yourself and what it is doing to you.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

John,

Imo...booze is a toxin. Hence intoxicated.

It is a neuro toxin. Nervous system toxin.

It is also highly addictive like crack and meth. But, it is legal like sugar and cigarettes.

I agree about feeling pathetic for I know if I relapsed, which I am fully capable of, I would feel like a pathetic loser.

That will not happen. I don't drink any more. That was a had pill to swallow.,

When I was in the depths of my escalating binge drinking, I had a laundry list of physical and mental issues.

When I quit drinking everything....I mean everything got better.

I know if I start again.....everything will get worse.

This is part of how I defeat the crave...which has gotten better, but is a chronic condition now that my addict mind has flipped the switch.

I believe if I stay clean and keep exercising I will continue to improve physically and mentally for many more years. At some point, old age is going to get me, but that is jot going to be for about 30 years or so.

You are a younger man so you have the chance for an even longer stretch of personal self improvement....if you stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have worked out most of my life and I can assure what you are experiencing is normal, and very hard on your heart. When I drank daily and tried to workout it was brutal. I would sweat profusely, my heart would pound out of my chest. Thought I was combating the alcohol, I was wrong.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm not a doctor John, but since you've had some medical tests, all the other signs are pointing to alcohol withdrawal. Even though most days after drinking, it seemed I had no real hangover, I had the same symptoms you have, which went away after I started drinking for the day. Once I quit drinking, the morning anxiety and inside trembling went away. I agree with the others - remain alcohol free. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For sure sounds like withdrawal. That's a lot of boozing and you're seeing how it does nothing but make your life fall apart.
I would get yourself a solid recovery plan in place with attending AA daily, start seeing an addiction therapist, or perhaps contact an addiction center to get a plan setup with them, and of course put the bottle down now as it gets nothing but worse.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was sweating profusely and shaking also while I was drinking. Withdrawals were worse. All the sweating, shakes plus violent hallucinations and DTs. Complete loss of where I was. Seek out for a safe way to detox. Not every doctor is an expert on substance abuse but they can help. Hope all goes well for you. Tapering never worked for me.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to wake up in the middle of the night sleeping in soaked covers and clothes. It was horrible. I did not know what it was either. Now I know I was starting to withdrawal in the middle of the night.

Talk to your doc.

Make sure you work out a plan for what you are going to do instead of drink. Without a plan quitting drinking is VERY difficult.

Good Luck
Old 05-25-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Everybody is different- and they react differently to alcohol. Your friend might not have these symptoms... yet.

and it does sound as though you have some withdrawal, especially with the amount and daily drinking you were doing. Im not a doctor, but I know drinking is hard on the heart, so mixing that and exercise could be making your heart work alot harder than it should.

I too couldnt imagine life without alcohol, but I challenge you to string together some sober days, being sober is really alot better!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you stop drinking completely, the anxiety will get better. Alcohol causes anxiety after it wears off.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Definitely quit drinking completely. These symptoms are very progressive and dangerous.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

great help