Notices

Kombucha tea

Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kombucha tea

So I've done some damage to my liver and I'm always looking for ideas for healing. I recently read that kombucha tea is great for liver healing. I bought a small bottle of BlackBerry kombucha tea tonight and took a gulp and I thought it tasted awful!! It was like taking a gulp of vinegar. Anyway, I decided to read the bottle to see what the heck is in this stuff and in tiny letters I see "may contain a trace amount of alcohol ". Just great! I took one gulp. Am I now back to day one???
Old 05-23-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course not...

;-)
Old 05-23-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Nope! Not at all. It is all about intent. You did not intend to drink alcohol, so there is no reason to feel like you need to start all over. Just don't drink any more of that crap and go on your way.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have a look at milk thistle.

Seems to be mentioned quite regularly.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think so.

Its worth being cautious tho IMO. I always try and remember to read the small print on new things I'm trying

D
Old 05-23-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a note on recommending things -please try and stick to personal experience.

Any supplements mentioned you like the sound of, please think about discussing with your Dr first - none of us know what other meds or health issues someone reading this thread might have.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mmm blackberry kombucha... yum. It's got less alcohol than certain "NA" beers out there. Like others said, it's about intent.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
J50

I've read conflicting information about milk thistle and other liver supplements.

There's a lot of information about the effect of food on the liver, which may be more beneficial to take a look at than the supplements.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drink kombucha like it's going out of style, and I won't be changing my view that I have been sober for over 2 years. So far as kombucha setting you back to Day 1 goes, my vote is for a big NO it does not.

However, if you are concerned about the impact on your liver, I agree with Dee, check with your doctor.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My personal experience is that I like and enjoy kombucha.

At times I’ll get a particularly ‘boozy’ one and I dislike the mild effect of just the edge of an alcohol haze that reminds me this stuff does have ALCOHOL in it.

That said, for me it hasn’t presented a problem, is a nice beverage alternative on hot summer days, and has some gut health benefits.

I’ve known others who avoid it like it was whiskey because for them it has led to relapse.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My soy sauce has alcohol in it.

Found that out 2 nights ago, and I stopped using it.

Consider that your sobriety will last a lifetime, do you honestly think you won't ingest any alcohol over that time by accident?

What if your at dinner party with lots of home made food, I garuntee something will have alcohol as an ingredient and you won't know it (although the % would be cooked out)

I believe be cautious, but if your life is on track and your not downing bottles willingly, then don't stress to much.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

No, you are NOT back to Day 1. My neighbor bought over a bottle the other day. I took one taste and it was horrible. It tasted like alcohol to me. I looked over the ingredients and there is none. However, I think it is fermented. My neighbor obtained a couple of bottles as she works in giving out samples in the grocery store. She was even serving to children, so that speaks for the alcohol content. You are fine!
Old 05-24-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you are looking to help your liver recover eat a whole foods diet. Drink lots of water and stay away from all drugs (including prescription, unless of course you have to take them). The liver basically filters our blood and removes or oxidizes fats, toxins and sugars. The less fats, toxins and sugars you pump into your system, the less your liver is contaminated. Its the garbage filter so to speak. Sugar and bad fats abound in processed food so stay away from that stuff. That'll probably help you more than Kombucha. Although I do love Kombucha!!

Green tea or Macha are super good for you and don't taste like vinegar...maybe a bit sea weedy....
Old 05-24-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I am making a seafood Alfredo tonight. I am putting white wine in it, which will be reduced....even less alcohol, if any.

I don’t consider this a relapse, not even remotely.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I am making a seafood Alfredo tonight. I am putting white wine in it, which will be reduced....even less alcohol, if any.

D
Old 05-24-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

^
Wow! Wouldn't of guessed that