Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I have anxiety about telling my doctor im an alcoholic, and generally feel awful today.

Notices

I have anxiety about telling my doctor im an alcoholic, and generally feel awful today.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had a doctors appointment due to anxiety and general appointment.

While i was there, the intake who takes your blood pressure and and asks questions asked me about how much i drink in a day.

And my answer was Im an alcoholic.

I dont know why but its giving me massive anxiety that i disclosed this to her. Im always upfront about the amount i drink in the past but never said im an alcoholic to my general practitioner, or to anyone outside of aa.

I say it to openly that I'm drinking too much or that I'm abusing alcohol psychiatrists, or my doctor in the past. And I see an addiction counselor that I openly talk about being an alcoholic, and thats why I go.

And i know i am, and say it and go to AA.
But its really bothering me to have said it boundary wise to people outside of aa or here, or personal.

I thought being honest was what i should do, and that I mise well just do it. But it feels like I feel exposed, or like I opened up boundaries and it doesn't feel good.

I was also worried after I said alcoholic as opposed to just saying I abuse alcohol if that had any negative consequences applied to me in the way of reporting it to someone.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You did the right thing. I had my doc look at my BP completely shocked at 28, checked it again and couldn't believe how high it was. I later got put on BP meds at 30 because of my excessive drinking.
Alcoholism usually is just trying to throw a blanket over our heads to hide from life, as to the 1st step of AA to admit we have a problem.
There is some shame at first, but a feeling of freedom afterwards, which sounds like you experienced.
I hope you are staying clean and have a solid plan in place!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that. I'm on day 4 today.

I'm really tired and overwhelmed and anxious today.

Physically mentally and spiritually.

I can't sleep well but have a hard time doing or concentrating on anything this afternoon.

I have surrounded myself with aa contacts. I spent the morning at a meeting and with someone.
And read materials my sponsor told me to read and read posts here.

I'm going to have a bath and when my sister comes over I'm going to get her to take my bank card after I buy what I need for the next while even though I don't want to drink I'm going to get rid of my debit card so I have no way of doing it.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It was a relief for me to tell my doctor - no shame in doing that at all. After all, they can't help you if they don't know the problem, right? And also remember that anything you tell a doctor is strictly confidential.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It can in fact be dangerous not to tell you doctor or anyone capable of prescribing medication. For example I make sure my dentist knows. I don’t want them to prescribe medication that can be dangerous to a sober alcoholic. Certain types of medication can trigger a craving for alcohol, and many are also addictive which could add another problem. Being an alcoholic is enough for me, I have no desire to get messed up on something else.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Hopeful528 View Post
Thanks for that. I'm on day 4 today.

I'm really tired and overwhelmed and anxious today.

Physically mentally and spiritually.

I can't sleep well but have a hard time doing or concentrating on anything this afternoon.

I have surrounded myself with aa contacts. I spent the morning at a meeting and with someone.
And read materials my sponsor told me to read and read posts here.

I'm going to have a bath and when my sister comes over I'm going to get her to take my bank card after I buy what I need for the next while even though I don't want to drink I'm going to get rid of my debit card so I have no way of doing it.
Hopeful, just wanted to say the way you spent your day and the things you are doing are all things I have seen work for others. I added Antabuse to the mix. Didn’t have any money so that wasn’t such an issue for me.
All the best.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopeful, I'm glad you're taking action and moving forward in your recovery.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are doing everything right, hopeful. It took me about 10 years longer than it should have to admit that i am am alcoholic. Once i did there was a certain amount of freedom and relief. A weight was lifted off my shoulders. You always worry about others judging you. The truth is that it is their problem not yours. Your problem is staying sober. If you do that, any judgement anyone else passes doesn't mean a thing.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know people worry about this, but I think it's really important to be totally honest with your Dr so I fully support your decision, Hopeful

D
Old 05-23-2018, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone.
Your replies helped a lot to relieve some of my anxiety today.
Tired but calm now and in bed.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Telling my GP the truth of how much I drank was a huge relief. It set me on the road to recovery because I finally admitted it out loud to somebody. There was no going back after that. It marked the end of years and years of denial about my alcoholism. Thank God.

I feel like that's the same as you admitting to your GP you're an alcoholic.

You did the right thing.

Good on you!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

It's just semantics. Anything you say to a doctor that hints to a problem with alcohol, they're going to label you an alcoholic anyway. You're just being honest with yourself.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think doctors have a pretty good idea which patients are alcoholics and those who aren't. I thought I was fooling everyone, but everyone knew. I was only fooling myself.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A slight extension of the "first admission" thing with my primary doctor. 100% of the other doctors I see are either referrals from her (my liver dr, my ortho, my GYN) or the one she would have wanted me to see had I not been blessed that the doctor randomly got assigned to her psych rotation one time I was in the hospital.

EVERY one of them know I am in recovery. A big reason for this is medicine and potential interactions, or ones I should not take at all. Some have nothing to do with a health condition, but birth control for example: when I met my now husband I just assumed I could go back on the pill - no dice because it is hard on the liver. I probably don't have to say much about any kind of pain meds- I am one of those in recovery who has to be careful (even one time self-reporting to my husband how I took two short term painkiller/muscle relaxant for my current back injury) about following the prescribed directions.

I am really fortunate that I have a strong network of doctors- and much like in the rest of my life, it is natural for me to share that I am in recovery. Strictly focusing on medical care though, I am a huge believer that there is a lot out there to help us (people, programs, drugs etc) and part of getting the best care possible, and what's our responsibility, is indeed to lay it all out for those we are looking to for this care.