Notices

269 Days and counting

Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

269 Days and counting

Feel like it's been a while since I last posted a update on how things are going, so here I am; still sober and wow. I write this as a encouraging post more than anything. I'm still amazed that I've made it this far and as I look back to my day one, I never thought I'd be where I am at today. I had no hope, no self esteem, full of fear, guilt, shame and remorse and today; well today I'm in pain (Mountain biking accident) lol but I have hope and I can smile, I can laugh and enjoy most days. The peaks and valleys have slowly leveled out into hills for the most part. The best and most amazing part is, I have no desire to drink. Not even a though..
I say amazing, because through these 9+ months I've been through some challenges that, in the past, would have gave me a excuse to drink; and I didn't even come close to doing it. Sure I had a few thoughts at times but I took action and stopped the thought dead in it's tracks.
What has helped me get this far..
I have faith.
I log on here every single day and make my 24hr commitment.
I go to as many meetings I feel I need (Usually 3-4 a week).
I share with my sponsor regularly.
I give back by chairing meetings, helping others in my area that are struggling.
And, I fully accept the fact that I can never safely consume alcohol again...
The result is I'm happier than I have been in a long time.
I feel like I'm evolving to the point where I dont want to stop, I need to keep moving forward.

My life is far from perfect
I'm stuck in a Job, that I feel is holding me back and I find myself not enjoying it, it gives me anxiety and the work is stressful. My future here is well... I'm not sure yet but one day at a time I have faith the answer will come.

To anyone struggling. If I can come up from the depths of hell, so can you.

Mike
Old 05-23-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Mike, that is so inspiring.
Day 8 for me and I know the support of you all are helping me.
Take care. Your sober time is awesome.
CC
Old 05-23-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome post Mike. Huge congratulations on all of your success. Thank you for being a wonderful example. The best part is you are a little unsure about what the future holds. I bet 9 months ago you were probably unsure that there was any future. Your higher power has an amazing future planned for you.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted on all of your accomplishments.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Mike - 269 days is awesome

D
Old 05-23-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober days! And thank you for the encouraging post.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats! I love your post. One day I will save up enough for a mountain bike. And a whitewater kayak. And... well, the list goes on...

I've been asked to chair next month's meeting and to be a discussion leader next meeting. I turned it down. I want to give back but my anxiety is so awful when I have to speak in public, i can barely read "how it works" without a panic attack. Also in early sobriety I feel I don't have much wisdom to share. I promised to keep making cookies and coffee cake instead. I envy those who can share and chair and make it looks easy breezy.

Thank you for the inspiring post. I never thought I'd be at 70 days and it will be so nice to be at 269 one day. Congrats again!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow great job Mike! Enjoying the outdoors is a big part of my recovery too.