Notices

Back again, trying to back on track

Old 05-23-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again, trying to back on track

Well here I am, back again. I stopped drinking for 3 months from mid January to mid April. The last 2 months I've gone on a couple weekend benders. No serious jackpots occured during those 2 months, but I certainly lost control more than once.

I generally just feel like crap mentally. It's amazing how good I felt during those 3 months booze free. My confidence was sky high, no anxiety, and I felt good about life. I was a better father, husband, employee, and friend. I need ti get back on track. It is so easy to slip back into old ways.

I went on a weekend trip with my wife over the weekend. Of course I drank the whole time... nothing awful happened, but she was certainly annoyed with me. Haven't had a drink since Sunday night. I am just starting to feel normal again, as my hangovers after a bender are unbearable. Extreme anxiety, guilt, self hatred. The night sweats are awful.

I need to make some changes. I think all roads for me lead to giving AA a try. I've quit many times over the past 8 years. Unusually for 1-6 months, but nothing seems to stick permanent.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

... Work the 12 Steps of AA like your LIFE depends on it...

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
Old 05-23-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Stopping is one thing, staying stopped is the real challenge. I learn an incredible amount about how to live life sober in AA. How to cope. Give it a try, keep an open mind.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same exact pattern here. I was sober from January to April. Had a couple binges over the last month. Felt horrible, ashamed, guilty, angry, and generally like crap. Today is day 8 and I am finally starting to perk up. This pattern had repeated too many times over the past 15 years. I am done. I am spending lots of time fine tuning my recovery plan.

You will find incredible support in AA. Get to a meeting and find a sponsor. You can do this.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you quit are you keeping in the back of your mind that you will be able to drink again in the future? If so, leaving the door open will eventually lead back to that first drink that ultimately leads right back to the same old miserable place.

I had to take the option off the table.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by RDBplus3 View Post
... Work the 12 Steps of AA like your LIFE depends on it...

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
If you are like me, it literally does. It was do or die in my case. No third alternative.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
When you quit are you keeping in the back of your mind that you will be able to drink again in the future? If so, leaving the door open will eventually lead back to that first drink that ultimately leads right back to the same old miserable place.

I had to take the option off the table.
For the first month I'm never drinking again. Second month I feel better and start thinking I can give drinking another chance. 3rd month I tell myself, just make it an even 3 months, and I'll start drinking again after that. Same pattern everytime
Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back, GoodLife.

You got a great taste of the good life. AA sounds like a great way to get it back and keep it.

The combination of AA and SR sound like solid parts of a very good pla.

You may want to take a look at the thread linked below.p to see if there are any other things you may want to add:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Goodlife, maybe you can come up with some ideas to help support your recovery so that after two or three months, you are no longer thinking you could give drinking a go. I'm glad you are back and that you want to make this work.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back GoodLife

D