Notices

Insomnia - Ugh!

Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia - Ugh!

Insomnia
Hey guys,
The last few months I’ve been battling with on and off again insomnia. I fall asleep pretty easily around 9 but I’m waking up between 3 and 4. Today I couldn’t get back to sleep and ended up coming into work drained. I know for a fact that I have to cut down on the caffeine late in the day. It’s difficult because it has become some what of a vice for me. Do I have the disease of more or what? I also made a move from the mountains to the city in February which is a huge change in environment. I just don’t sleep as well. I have started to drink “Calm” which is a magnesium supplement. I a little over 15 months sober and wondered if anyone experienced insomnia in the 1-2 year range. Thanks!
Garrison
Old 05-22-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, I still experience it quite badly (like last night when I tossed and turned at finally got up at 230) here at 27 mo. It ebbs and flows for me. All I can suggest is something that can work for me, sleeping with less covers/a cooler temp; making sure I don't go to bed dehydrated is also helpful. I do take prescribed sleep aids.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find getting some exercise helps a LOT.

The only time I have that sleep pattern you describe is if I am really stressed about something. Then I know I have to do something about whatever it is.

I don't take any meds and I drink one cup of coffee per day, in the morning. Caffeine in the afternoons used to mess with my sleep, too.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Get up early as you can and workout. Works wonders for me.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

9-4 is 7 hours. Maybe stay up a little later?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

I have an app on my iPhone called 'Calm'. I use it every night when I'm in bed. I have it set up where the first part is about 10 minutes of meditation and a mini lesson on something (like stress, work relationships, etc. - a variety). The second is a bedtime story. It's free, but I ended up paying for a year's subscription because I liked it so well. I end up falling asleep most times during the meditation. Sometimes I wake up during the night and start a bedtime story or another meditation. It is very helpful for me. I suffer terribly from insomnia.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ETW

As a previous member said, exercise helps a lot. Melatonin, nighty-night tea by traditional medicinals or taking a magnesium supplement an hour or so prior to bedtime really helped me. Liquid bliss by heart warming can also be really helpful. All can be found at a health food store.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I woukdnt be complaining about 7 hours, thats heaps!!! I have occasions with no or 2-3 A night.

Be careful with Melatonin if you choose that.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Comptnman- You and I have the same amount of time of sobriety (15 months) and I too still have sleep problems. I workout 1.5hrs daily, don't find myself stressed a lot, drink 1-2 cups of coffee or tea in the am, stopped taking naps during the day (I work from home)...but I still find it difficult to fall asleep at night. Once I'm asleep, I'm fine. I've been taking a natural sleep supplement which helps (sometimes) but generally I struggle.

In your case, it could have something to do with your move to an urban area. Moving to a new environment (especially to the city) can be stressful. Were you sleeping OK before the move?

CT
Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, insomnia was bad for the first year or two.
It got better once I really worked was letting go of a lot of anxiety and control issues (did this through AA 12 Step program)
Also:
stopped caffeine
drank more water
treated other co-occuring addictions
Started working out in healthy ways
taking Magnesium also- I think that's a good one!
stuck to a routine with sleep no matter what
and STOPED working so many hours, that relates to the control issues I mentioned above but it was amazingly helpful to my overall health