Notices

Day 24, and alcohol dreams

Old 05-22-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 24, and alcohol dreams

Day 24! Feeling good about that number. Going to lots of AA meetings and back to work.

For the past week I've been having alcohol related dreams every night and they're usually very vivid. Anyone experience this? The dreams range from me getting drunk and feeling guilty about it, to extreme detail of a glass of wine and being able to taste it. Did these ever stop for you?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Perfectly normal! Our subconscious is sorting out this new lifestyle, our feelings about it, the change physically and psychologically.

I don't get them very often, I think the last one was around the three month mark. Now smoking dreams, those arses still plague me and probably always will because when I quit smoking, it wasn't like quitting drinking, I'm not sure I completely accept I will never smoke again.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I had a dream once that I drank and I felt guilty, so I decided to confess to my mother. As I was confessing she kept kicking the bottom of my soft-seated chair with a pointy shoe. It was hurting. I was like, "Mom! Stop Kicking Me!"

Then I woke up and my dog was in the bed and pushing on my backside with her feet trying to move me to make more room.

Brains are weird.

Congrats on 24 days!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ah the poison dreams! I just had one recently as well - the details of it now have faded but I woke up very stressed and upset that I had drank.

Amazing what the unconscious is working on while we sleep.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So I have always had very vivid, often realistic dreams. I still have alcohol-related dreams pretty frequently, and I always wake up thinking "OMG was that a flashback or just a dream??" It's a huge relief when I realize that it was indeed just a dream.

Lately I've had very bizarre ones recalling my habit of hiding booze in random places. The other night I had a dream that I was hiding vodka in glasses so it looked like water. Another strange one was hiding it in a hair product can (what?!). I do usually wake up feeling slightly guilty, because even if the dream doesn't exactly reflect what I was doing, it brings back some bad memories of lying and deceit. It's funny, I can get used to strange dreams on just about any topic but alcohol.

Funny how the brain works!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I had one this week where I had a bottle of beer (I didn't drink beer just vino lol) and was slowly tilting it so a trickle came out and went down my throat. The smell and the fizzyness of the bubbles were so vivid. I recall in the dream knowing it was wrong and thinking if I don't swallow it doesn't count and I am not really drinking it, then woke up with a start when the feeling of not swallowing became too uncomfortable and an instant feeling of "can't believe I did that"....oh no...I didn't it was just a dream, phew!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yes.. I think most of us have! I've experienced dreams so vivid that I actually woke up feeling hungover. I think it was a combination of too much sugar and dehydration.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a dream yesterday that my best friend flew in to visit me and we got drunk and i remember the crushing feeling the next day that I had to tell my sponsor, I had to pick up a white chip. Since she IS coming to visit, it kinda freaked me out, with my illogical idea it might be a foreshadowing or something. I know it is not but it was strange and uncomfortable nonetheless. I hope these go away soon. This was the first dream that included my sobriety journey in the dream, instead of me just getting messed up for the sake of it.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For the first several years I had drinking dreams sometimes. I remember feeling relieved when I woke up that it was just a dream. Now I rarely have them anymore.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don’t worry about it. I always wake up after them grateful to be sober!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Used to have them a LOT the first few months. Now, 1.5 year sober, I only get one once in a while. I actually find them helpful as reminders that I can't drink - normal people don't dream like that.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have 21 blessed years of sobriety, and on occasion, have a drinking dream. I don't think that people who are NOT alcoholics have drinking dreams.
The miracle is this:
Yesterday I went through a day of tediousness, stress, some joy, some momentary anger, etc., just a normal day. I didn't think about drinking. I didn't think about not drinking. I try to live in the spirit of the steps.