Notices

Therapy Question

Old 05-22-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Therapy Question

Day 2 of no drinking and I feel better already. I feel like finding this group I'm not alone!
Question, Ive seen a therapist since about November, we have talked about my drinking, I quit for about 30 days and then fell off, but haven't told him how bad it has been, He knows I've had a couple slip ups but not the whole truth. Is it important for me to tell him this, to get on the right path?
Old 05-22-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely. Not being 100% honest doesn't do anything but hurt yourself. Your therapist is there to help.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Day 2 is great Lori. It's going to be a tough day, but you sound strong and committed, so you can absolutely do this. Stay close to SR. We're here for you. Yes, do tell your therapist about the extent of your drinking. He needs the all the information to give appropriate help. Hang in there.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agreed. Assuming you trust your therapist and are satisfied with the work you should be completely transparent.

It'll likely help you in - if nothing else - in having a 3d person to confide in. I've found letting go and being honest about my situation has brought a tremendous sense of relief.

-B
Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiding or making excuses to a therapist is counterproductive, let's think about this, why are you in therapy if you don't open up? I have been that person, going to therapy and putting up pretences. It went nowhere. The essence of therapy is that you can tell the therapist things that you want to tell to a person that can look at you from professional experience. That being said, it is crucial that the therapist understands you. They, too, are human and while I think that all of them sincerely want to help it needs to click. I went to a psychiatrist once that was quite charming but could barely remember my name. Then to one that thought everything in the world was my fault as I am a drunk. That was not helpful. I got more out of Catholic priests than out of him. The Catholic priests are free--- ha! The next one was a chief of a psychiatriatic university hospital and he was awesome. He did tell me that I was crazy for doing X Y and Z but he offered fantastic one to one therapy and even called me with names of other therapists when he started having health problems and retired. My present one is young and very sincere. Be honest, that brings results.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on 2 Days!

Is it important for me to be honest with my therapist?

Pretty amazing that our addicted brains can make that seem like an even partially reasonable question.

You can do this.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I believe honesty is the most important part of getting sober - especially being honest with yourself. Regarding your therapist, how do you think he'll be able to help you help yourself if he doesn't even know what the problem is? I know it's an awkward subject and somewhat embarrassing to admit, at least it was for me, but you need to be honest if you really want help.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lorij13099 View Post
Is it important for me to tell him this, to get on the right path?
i took my car to the shop because the brakes were bad. i didnt tell them what the problem was,though- just expected them to figger it out and fix it.
my brakes are still bad.