Notices

I知 so confused

Old 05-21-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I知 so confused

I知 an addict named faith. And I知 new to recovery. I知 also seeing a mental health professional whom would like to put me on something for my adhd. Do people in recovery take things like that? Is it a bad idea? I知 scared...
Old 05-21-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

A lot of people in recovery take medications for other things, there is nothing wrong with that as long as you actually need the medication and you don’t abuse it. A lot of people argue over this and some people dont think sober people should take any medications at all (which i think is ridiculous myself). It all depends really on what you are comfortable with and how you view it.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Faith

I'm on a lot of medications. My doctor knows about my addictive past and we discuss every med in the light of that.

I still feel I'm in recovery

I used to self medicate. The drugs I used to take subtracted from my life.

The drugs I take now are prescribed, don't get me high, and they add to my life.

D
Old 05-21-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. If your doctor prescribed them and they help, that's a good thing. I am on meds for mental health and it makes a big difference.

Lots of support here.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by Nohopeindopee View Post
I知 an addict named faith. And I知 new to recovery. I知 also seeing a mental health professional whom would like to put me on something for my adhd. Do people in recovery take things like that? Is it a bad idea? I知 scared...
Welcome Faith. You can do yourself a HUGE favor by addressing your ADHD with medicine. In fact, your ADHD is likely a very big factor in why you became an addict in the first place.

I myself have ADHD on top of having bipolar disorder (and a few anxiety disorders like icing on my mental cake). I'd have ZERO chance of ever getting sober without my medications. Actually, my ADHD is not being addressed fully and I'm going to find a good med for it.

You may not find the right meds immediately but keep trying. It's like we all have different keys on a keyboard that need pressed to make us right. Everyone is different. You have to find the meds that hit the right keys. It will make such a difference in your life.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

And please don't be afraid of labels and if you find out you have additional issues. Personally, I'm very open about mine at least with friends and family - work is very different you have to be careful. I don't give a f__k what anyone thinks about my mental issues. I wear them like a badge of honor. This is me, imperfect, mental issues and all. I'm actually part of a club that includes some very cool and famous people now.