Notices

Finally made my first post :)

Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally made my first post :)

My first post here guys, although I've lurked and read for a couple of years.
Am on day 6.
Day 1 came about this time because I couldn't cope with the pain in my right side anymore. I know it was the (in the end) daily 500ml of gin that was doing it. I'm glad I had those pains because otherwise I'd still be drinking 500ml of gin.
Early days...
I've booked a doc appointment fairly soon because I don't necessarily want to be given a clean bill of health. I want to be scared and a have a final reason to stop for the sake of my 6 year old son.
Over in the UK we have obviously just had the royal wedding (which was my day 4). The AV kicked off around 9am that morning - everyone will be getting the prosecco and Pimms out to celebrate. Then of course the football FA Cup Final - everyone will be in the pubs and beer Gardens or at BBQs. I'll be left out! Maybe I'll start tomorrow...
Guess what? I didn't give in because I kept reminding myself of my recent blackouts on gin, even tucking my son into bed sucking on cough sweets to mask the whiff.
Had a house clear out at the weekend too and found hidden bottles in coat pockets, back of cupboard... - all empty of course! Ugh.
I've had many Day 1s. I just hope I can do this because I can't take another panic attack thinking my son won't have a mother due to gin.
When I read this back, it sickens me.
I'm glad I posted today
Old 05-21-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family CC! Congrats on six days sober! You'll find lots of support here to help you on your sober journey.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time carpetcleaner -glad to have you join us

D
Old 05-21-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I'm proud of ya CC! Keep being strong and focus on the good feelings and clear head from sobriety. You got this!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome
Glad you found SR!
Read all that you can. There is so much to learn here
Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you with us, carpetcleaner. We are here to help. You never have to feel alone at any stage of recovery. Welcome!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi carpetcleaner. Six days is commendable! There's never a perfect time to quit; you did well to avoid the boozier parts of the nation's festivities.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, and keep posting.

Getting sober for our kids is something many people don't have the leverage to be able to use. I know that sounds backwards - in fact much of the pain, guilt and shame I have over my drinking has to do with what I put my son through, or the father I haven't been able to be for him. However for many they struggle without that singular, essential and profound reason to get and stay sober. We can do it for our children. Can't think of much a better reason - and then we get to reap the benefits of not poisoning ourselves for the rest of our lives.

Stay sober and keep posting. Congrats.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m also in the UK, you are doing great on day six. Unfortunately the royal wedding, cup final and BBQ didn’t end as well for me. I’m day 3 after coming here begging for help after a mega binge at said events on Saturday. I did 44 days last year and I’m sure you can do the same plus loads more. I’ve got young kids but a bit older than you. There is nothing worse than them saying, too much wine last night Dad or lying on the couch or bed all day too I’ll to move. It’s these social occasions I will struggle with most but that’s the challenge. Stay Strong.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome CC! I'm so glad you made that first post, I know how hard it is. I've had so many Day 1's as well. Today I'm on day 17, but everything feels completely different this time than in the past. Posting on this site daily, committing to 24 hours of sobriety each day on the 24 hours thread, journaling daily and having an action plan in place for the cravings. These things have made ALL the difference in the world, I hope it can help you too. I'm a mom of 2 sons and the guilt over what my drinking was doing to them is what finally put me over the edge. I couldn't live in my own skin anymore, my actions when I drank so starkly contradicted my values.

Stay active on this forum and you're halfway there CC!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations CC! Proud of your sober days for your sake. However I caution you NOT to ignore right-side pain as it could be (and I am speaking from my own experience, not giving medical advice but my own history) appendicitis. Right side also houses the gall bladder and most of the liver. Get in to see your Dr right away to rule out any of those issues. Often times we don't want to know the damage alcohol wreaks within our bodies but we need to face our truth and you have little people dependent upon you making good decisions for their lives. Making good decisions for your own life is crucial for your whole family. I hope you find the strength within yourself to get on the sober path right away. You and your children deserve it. Best of life to you and your family, peace be with you.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Big Hug to you CC, glad you are here & posting
Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome CC - Glad you're joining us. Stay strong. You're doing really well.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow I am actually very overwhelmed with all your lovely words of encouragement, really touched. Thank you!!!
I feel more able now to post, share and support everyone too.
Day 7. Yay 😊
Old 05-22-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 7 is great, keep it movin' CC.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

7 days - that is wonderful! Be proud.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

A week! YAY!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi there! I read this post and felt compelled to respond. I made it almost a week and then fell off at a dinner event. I am so proud of you for staying strong. I feel just awful about caving in and I have the same reasons for wanting to quit as you do... If you need a friend, reach out to me. I am definately going to need one on this journey. I am back to day 1. And, I wish so much that I wouldn't have given into temptation. Good for you!!!