Notices

Low libido after quitting drinking.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Low libido after quitting drinking.

I couldn't pick where I should post this so please move if I got it wrong.

I used to drink 3-4 litres of vodka a week. I never had a high sex drive, while I was drinking I think I had a normal one. I've always had ED, I dunno if it was because of the drinking or not, but it's still there.

Since I quit, and that's been for over a year, my sex drive is gone. No desire. I love her but I don't know why I don't feel like the pull isnt there anymore. I went to the doctor, hormones etc are all normal.

If anyone has gone through something similar, please, tell me what happened.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR. Did you speak to the doctor about your libido? We're not medical professionals here and can't give advice, but from personal experience it took me quite awhile for my drive and desire to return. I was patient and didn't have any expectations, and it was worth the wait.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Welcome to SR. Did you speak to the doctor about your libido? We're not medical professionals here and can't give advice, but from personal experience it took me quite awhile for my drive and desire to return. I was patient and didn't have any expectations, and it was worth the wait.
I have been to the doctor, and an endocrinologist and a urologist.
They haven't found anything physically wrong unfortunately. If they did, at least I'd know. I've started going to a therapist as they all said it's in my head.

Just curious if anyone had similar experiences.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well my bf quit methadone and everything a month ago and him.. his feelings and sex drive are gone

Since he quit Methadone heroin and everything, and that's been for over a month ago his sex drive and feelings are gone....sorry this is more a question... where u confused about loving your gf??.. he is sweet during the day but super rude and cold at night....
Old 05-30-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

You all might want to ask your doctors about Bupropion (Wellbutrin). This would probably be a first-line med for this problem anyway, from what I've read. It's a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor meaning it causes more norepinephrine (adrenaline) and dopamine to be available than usual. It's main uses are smoking cessation and as an antidepressant but it's well known to increase sex drive while reducing addiction cravings, not just nicotine.

I take it now and have for years in the past. It's well tolerated and my doctor says it's very safe to take long-term. It definitely gives me more energy and motivation (big time) and I suspect that it's helping my withdrawal from alcohol. It definitely boosts dopamine which is usually suppressed in us addicts by the years of drug and alcohol abuse. Theoretically, the increase in available dopamine should decrease the chances for relapse for addicts in general, whatever your DOC is. It might be worth looking into.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion
Old 05-30-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you on anti-d's?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Wellbutrin has turned me into a sex crazed beast.

In a good way.