Notices

Thought these cravings were behind me!

Old 05-19-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought these cravings were behind me!

The crave is starting to get to me. I'll be quit 10 weeks tomorrow. The past week has been the worst!! I feel like I'm obsessing about drinking a beer. I never really drank beer either, mostly vodka or scotch, and a lot of it... Almost like the AV is whispering that a beer is nowhere near as bad as a glass of spirit.

The app on my phone says I've saved over $900 and passed on nearly 1,100 drinks.

Just quit smoking cigarettes 3 days ago and that's driving me nuts too!

I'm determined not to drink or smoke. Playing the tape... Checking in here... Feeling every bit of HALT at the moment. I think I'm going to take the dog for a walk.

Took my blood pressure and checked in at 111 over 72. I always go there for inspiration since drink caused extremely high BP. I was never under 145 over 95 while drinking.

Sorry for rambling. Feel a bit better getting all that off my chest.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 10 weeks sober! The cravings will get less with more sober time. I also suggest you practice gratitude if you want to strengthen your sobriety. Gratitude makes you happier.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Those type of obsessive thoughts of alcohol greatly diminished right around the 90 day mark for me. This is what they are talking about when they say early sobriety is tough. Just keep pushing yourself forward and don't drink no matter what. Don't do what I did and keep doing the first three months over and over again. You end up doing the hardest part repeatedly.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to say that I have found removing something else makes my AV kick in again. So for xample I hit the dieting harder than I had been on Wednesday and my addictive voice kicked in with whats the point, lifes dismal, you need XY or Z. Led to me having a carb binge last. I wonder if the AV is kicking in because you have packed in the cigarettes too. Its dopamine receptors at the end of the day and if they dont get what they want they scream like babies! Nightmare. Back on the dieting horse for me today but I am certainly not drinking so that is a fantastic result. Dont drink but maybe get a nicotine spray. I used that to give up smoking 5 years ago and it worked a treat. DOnt even think about cigarettes now...or for that matter alcohol...just damn carb!!
Old 05-20-2018, 01:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know, when HALT triggers are rattling us, its often prudent to make addressing these our top priority.

Hungry? Eat and rehydrate

Angry? Talk to someone about it - here or somewhere else so you can get a more level head about what's bothering you.

Lonely? Call someone who loves, cares about or understands you. If there isn't anyone in your life like that it might be worth addressing this. If you just wouldn't know what to say, you could try "hello, I was just thinking about you and thought I'd give you a call to say hello and ask how you are..."

Tied? Rest or relax (This might be where that dog walk comes in actually, as sometimes walking can be more relaxing than just sitting there of you're feeling rattley.

Anyhow. Hope you're feeling better now.

BB
Old 05-20-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all! Took the dog for a walk, got an invite to a neighbor's poker game and won $250. Everyone was drinking. Several were just plain sloshed and firing up smokes one after another. Made it home sober and finally in bed. I think the biggest trigger today was being somewhat lonely and very bored. Wife is having girls weekend at the beach and my two little ones are at Grandma's house. Home alone has always been "get hammered" time!

All the neighbors know I quit, so not drinking was easy. I have accountability and my pride wouldn't let me fail in front of them. They even reminded me about their wedding that I don't remember.

Two people were very curious about how I've been dealing with not drinking. One of them said he wants to stop too, and it wasn't his first time suggesting he quit.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definitely give it more time- I think it took me 4-6 months to be craving free and I'm sure it's different for everyone.
Sounds like you are really making progress though- and nice on winning some money Being alone at home would be a huge trigger for me as well! You made it through though. Do they all come back today?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ah, but alone in the house is divine. Watch what I want on Netflix. Take a walk. Buy my favorite food and eat pizza for breakfast if I feel like it.

Lots of great thoughts here.

Well done for posting here and talking it out, REM700. That always helped me in early days.