Notices

ScaredVeryScared

Old 05-19-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ScaredVeryScared

I have known I was an alcoholic for years and could never quit or even cut back really. I never drank and drove, always careful. I live at a shopping center and 2 days ago I stopped at happy hour on my way home from work. I usually go home and walk, but I had worked later. I literally was just moving my car in the parking lot to my apartment, no roads and I hit a guy from behind and got a dui. They said he was overnight in the hospital with head/back injury. I was in jail for 14 hours and it was horrific. I cant even tell you how awful. I am beyond mad at myself. I hate myself. I haven't eaten or slept in days, can barely drink water. I have to tell my boss on Monday. I am as teacher and I am petrified. What if his medical Bill's bankrupt me? I am beyond scared. Also, I wish I had signed the plea agreement before I left court. It said misdemeanor. I cant fo back to jail, I will have a nervous breakdown. I have sworn to my family I will ever drink again. I wish wish wish I could take this back.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm sorry for your situation and how scary it must be. I'm glad that the accident was not worse.

My suggestion would be to get a lawyer as soon as possible to help yourself get through this. Maybe if you talk to a lawyer, it will begin to make things seem a little bit more manageable.

I'm glad to hear that you never want to drink again. That is the most important thing here, and hopefully you will begin your sober life now.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree that you should get an attorney. Perhaps it is still possible for you to take the plea agreement? Your attorney can find out for you.

I know it feels like the end of the world, but I promise you, it isn't. It will take time and cost quite a bit of money to get through it, but you will get through it. (((HUGS)))
Old 05-19-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Winter, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I had nearly the exact same thing happen to me except I was on my way home from a charity event, was approaching a stop sign and "tapped" the car in front of me. The woman claimed she had whiplash, etc and couldn't work.

I strongly suggest you get an attorney to guide you through the process. It will be well worth the money. Sometimes they can have things adjusted a bit. I know a woman who got her DUI reduced to "reckless driving". I ended up pleading guilty for reasons I won't go into here, but I did talk over several options with my attorney.

Also, do you have car insurance? If so, your insurance will take care of his medical bills if you have that particular coverage. The woman I "hit" drug it out for years, didn't work, etc. and the insurance company finally settled with her.

You will get through it. It may not seem like it right now, but you will. Please hire an attorney!

You can always come here to vent, it helps and good luck on your journey to sobriety.

LHW
Old 05-20-2018, 02:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what brings you here winter but this is a place of great support - you're not alone

D
Old 05-20-2018, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definitely get a lawyer. It's not uncommon for people to watch bars and cause a minor accident on purpose to go after insurance money. You'll get through this and hopefully the worst part is over.

You wont regret never drinking again.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry for what brings you here. Even the brightest of us lose our judgement and often our integrity when we hit the booze.

I agree with the other posters re getting good legal representation. I'd also suggest getting some support in your recovery / getting sober. AA would be a good place to start this, as you could go to a meeting daily from today. Why not look up the meeting times and places and pencil some into your schedule for the week right away? There will be people there who understand exactly what you're going through and will be able to support you, and who are committed to doing this anonymously.

None of this will be able to be sorted out overnight, so you're likely to have a need of that support in the coming months, and ongoing as you learn to live comfortably in sobriety (that itself takes time).

It may be tough, but you CAN do this. To be honest, your other options don't look so good. Stay sober and show whoever will be judging you that you really DO want To change and aren't going to risk this ever happening again. These actions will speak volumes compared with just world's in court.

Some AA meetings will also sign an attendance register if you ask (some people are given them by courts, but you could draw one up for yourself).

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

This webpage might be useful... https://www.verywellmind.com/how-cou...us-works-67047

BB
Old 05-20-2018, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

You might try showing a little concern for the welfare of your victim. Self centred bleating and self serving attendance at a few aa meetings probably won’t impress a judge. They’ve seen it all before.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The best thing you can do is be as proactive as possible. Get yourself an intake assessment at an outpatient facility ASAP. They will probably require it anyway, but it is good to show that you’re taking accountability and you want to change your ways and are willing to actively pursue sobriety. I know many people who have faced similar challenges , some multiple times; all of their outcomes had one thing in common: treatment for the next few months. It won’t do any harm and you will feel productive taking action. I suspect your school would also support this decision. It’s a scary thing, but not the end of the world. You will get through it and be sober in the end.

I went to rehab and heard horror stories about people serving life sentences for killing people while driving drunk, many of whom have no memory of the event because they were blacked out. You don’t want to let it get to that level! Everyone always says “not me, I would never”... but you never know.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going winter?

D
Old 05-21-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with the others. Get an attorney, btdt and it seems like the end of the world, but you’ll get to the other side. I also agree in being proactive with your recovery. Rehab, A.A. and document all of it to have with you for the courts. I am glad that nobody was seriously injured. Could have been a lot worse. Good luck today with your job. I hope it goes well. LASTLY - DO NOT DRINK. Drinking may numb all of this out, but it’s only temporary.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Winter,

I have unfortunately been through 2 DUI's, (15 years ago) however there weren't any accidents involved. My BAC was over the top on both...2.35 and I was far from being falling down drunk. My tolerance was extremely high...

I can tell you that the other suggestions to get into a program are right on, the judge will consider what actions you are taking NOW. The courts care very little about our words, best intentions, and apologies.

I would find an approved "court ordered" facility to begin taking alcohol treatment classes, they can also test your BAC daily to document sobriety. Your probably gonna get this as part of your sentence--starting NOW will look good.

You can get through this, it's going to take time, money, and alot of action on your part. Get an attorney and take action now! I wish you the best of luck, and hope you come here for support. Please learn from this so you can avoid a repeat.........like me