Notices

Day 3 started off good until...

Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 started off good until...

I went on meet up.com to see what type of activities were available for sober people to do for fun in the Philadelphia area. I was very disappointed that the 6 they had are inactive and had very few members when they were active. Also the groups that involed drinking were active with the most members. I started feeling defeated that i will ever have a social life with a variety of activities. I got up this morning prayed, came on here and shared at some online meetings, cleaned my kitchen. My kitchen was horrendous after this last binge. I was proud of my day...until I curious about what would i do on a Friday, Saturday night once i get some time. Because doing recovery support groups is more than likely not going to keep me sober. I also no that there is no way i can go around people drinking and not want to drink even if i don't pick up right after i leave or a couple of days later. So I had a flash picture of me going ti store about 15 minutes ago. I started talking to myself are u crazy, you know what that will turn into...dam it u just got out of detox and relasped, binge drank from may 10th to may 15th...and it was horrible. I decided to come on here and putt around then I said I need to say something about how Im feeling.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hi mystory5, great effort on getting to Day 3. You have done the right thing posting and facing it, the first week is really tough but you sound determined to continue on this journey and you can do this!!

One thing you could do is join the weekenders thread, we all find weekends hard to get through sometimes and this has really helped me out over the last 3 weekends.

Keep strong xx
Old 05-18-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome for coming here mistory. You made the right choice and possibly saved your life. Please stay on here. It will get easier with time but if take a drink you’re back to square one. There are so many people here who can give better advice than I can, but just wanted to say it’s awesome that you came here before going to the store. You got this!
Old 05-18-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the two primary 12 step groups, AA and NA, have lots of different activities and functions that are NOT meeting based......dances, conventions, conferences, picnics, retreats, camp outs. do a little googling to find the region or area that you are in..............
Old 05-18-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Hi mystory5, great effort on getting to Day 3. You have done the right thing posting and facing it, the first week is really tough but you sound determined to continue on this journey and you can do this!!

One thing you could do is join the weekenders thread, we all find weekends hard to get through sometimes and this has really helped me out over the last 3 weekends.

Keep strong xx
Ty. Do i have to do something special to join or just find that forum/thread and open it up?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post

Keep strong xx
How do i join or do i just find the thread and open up. Ty for the advice.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewDay11 View Post
Awesome for coming here mistory. You made the right choice and possibly saved your life. Please stay on here. It will get easier with time but if take a drink you’re back to square one. There are so many people here who can give better advice than I can, but just wanted to say it’s awesome that you came here before going to the store. You got this!
Ty so much for the encouragement and your advice is on point as far as im concerned.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
the two primary 12 step groups, AA and NA, have lots of different activities and functions that are NOT meeting based......dances, conventions, conferences, picnics, retreats, camp outs. do a little googling to find the region or area that you are in..............
Ty, ill give it a try
Old 05-18-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

To join the weekender thread, just post in it.

One thing I'll suggest to strengthen your sobriety: practice gratitude every day.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
To join the weekender thread, just post in it.

One thing I'll suggest to strengthen your sobriety: practice gratitude every day.
TY...i do have some things to be grateful for quite honestly, however my drinking brain likes to focus on the things drinking has taken away from me and all the problems that come with it. I sure dont want anymore of it...but I thought that everytime I try to get sober, but then fail.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There are a lot of things to do in Philly that don’t require drinking! The weather might even clear up to allow some outdoor activities. Or you can stay home and watch a movie and chat with us.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the current weekenders thread:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-2018-a-8.html (Weekenders Thread, 17-21 May, 2018)

This is the 'Class Of May' support thread. Its for everyone quitting this month.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-one-18.html

All you need to do to join either thread is post in it

D
Old 05-18-2018, 09:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
There are a lot of things to do in Philly that don’t require drinking! The weather might even clear up to allow some outdoor activities. Or you can stay home and watch a movie and chat with us.
Yes, I know, but I don't want to do it alone. I want to hopefully do it with people who understand recovery. I been to plenty of non alcoholic events in philly but I always found a way to drink why I was doing it. I was so bad off I once drank airplane nips and small 4 pak of wine i stuck in a big purse in the church bathroom...while service was going on. I still can't believe I did that and twice at that.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
Yes, I know, but I don't want to do it alone. I want to hopefully do it with people who understand recovery. I been to plenty of non alcoholic events in philly but I always found a way to drink why I was doing it. I was so bad off I once drank airplane nips and small 4 pak of wine i stuck in a big purse in the church bathroom...while service was going on. I still can't believe I did that and twice at that.
I used to do a lot of similar things with the hiding alcohol. I guess an AA meeting might get you with people who can steer you right? I have learned to do a lot of things alone or do things that people aren’t likely to drink at. Part of my plan is not to have alcohol at home so I can’t put little bottles in my purse. Or I leave my purse at home.
You CAN make it work.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mistory-what are some of your hobbies-things you enjoy (or USED to enjoy) ?
Old 05-19-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey there mistory -

I am also in the Philly area, a bit south of the Airport. I like to go to the Headhouse Farmers Market on Sundays, weather permitting of course. There's a great pizza place right across the street, can't remember the name of it, but I try to time it so I am finished at the market around 11:30am so I can have their delicious pizza.

Have you checked out philly.com? That always has all kinds of stuff going on in the area, much more so than meetup.com.

As you know, the weather is just awful today. I am just staying in the house today and watching TV and posting on here when I need to. Don't like the chill in the air.

LHW
Old 05-19-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
I used to do a lot of similar things with the hiding alcohol. I guess an AA meeting might get you with people who can steer you right? I have learned to do a lot of things alone or do things that people aren’t likely to drink at. Part of my plan is not to have alcohol at home so I can’t put little bottles in my purse. Or I leave my purse at home.
You CAN make it work.
TY...for sharing your experience and words of encouragement. I need SR peeps more than ever.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WritingFromLife View Post
Mistory-what are some of your hobbies-things you enjoy (or USED to enjoy) ?
Concerts, partying, Movies, restaurants, museums, having friends over for dinner, taking classes, reading, good tv, shopping, fishing, crabbing, beach. Always wanted to travel extensively, but the alcohol legal, job losses and financial issues stopped that dream in its track. I was making more than enough to travel all over the world, however ever drinking ruled my world.