Notices

Day 4 Mommas hurting....

Old 05-18-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 Mommas hurting....

So this is my first post on this site. I never really thought I would be doing this ever in my life. Posting on a recovery site. But I have come to terms with my addiction with alcohol. And, being a single mom of two little ones, I know that I have to put myself in them first. Today is day 4 and I've been reading a number of posts here. I feel like I am going to rip my hair out. My skin is tingly my knees seem to be restless. I can't focus on conversations at work. And, I just want something to drink to calm it all. I keep thinking in my head, do I really have a problem? It's Friday and why are you doing this to yourself? A couple glasses of wine is not going to hurt anything.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, VitaMia; very glad you joined us.

Early days can be tough but the rewards of recovery are great.

Try to stay well hydrated with water, get as much rest and fresh air as possible, eat healthfully and be very gentle with yourself.

I hope that you find what so many have - that living in sobriety and recovery is an exponentially better way to live.

Stay close. SR is 24/7/365.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi VitaMia. You wouldn't be here if you didn't need to be. I bet you know that a drink or two will not end there. You are the only one who can decide if you are truly ready to quit to give you and your children the life you all deserve.

You have taken the first step by coming here. That is a big deal. This site is full of amazing information and tons of support.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you tremendously for your response so quickly! I I really do need the support! I have made a determination in my heart and in my mind that I'm going to stick this out. I just don't know how long it's going to take before I don't feel like I want to scream and tear my hair out. I feel like I'm going a little crazy
Old 05-18-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I suspect that those feelings will begin to dissipate soon.

Maybe try a long, very warm and aromatic bath.

Maybe Google “deep breathing techniques for anxiety” and practice it several times a day.

We are here for you.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Vita! This forum is incredible and you will get so much support here. But you need to have a plan in place for dealing with the cravings that will come and for how you will keep long term sobriety.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a new beginning. AA is what worked for me, but is not the only solution, and I have been sober for a long time. However, AA is the most convenient, so you might go online, find a meeting and give it a try. You don't have to join or anything, just see if you identify with what you hear. Good luck to you.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome VitaMia. 4 days is awesome and you will start to feel better soon. Don't give up. You need to be fully present for your little ones and you will never regret sobriety. This is an awesome place for advice, information and support and I hope you lean on us. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know how you feel, VitaMia - but you're doing a great thing for yourself. The anxiety will pass. You're going to make your whole life so much better for you & the children.

I stayed close to SR in the first weeks - it really helped to talk things over here. Everyone understands, & there's always someone around at all hours. I stopped in here over 10 yrs. ago & never left - it meant the world to have people who could relate to what I was going through. No one else in my life got it. Congrats on your Day 4!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR VitaMIa. You will start to feel better soon. I also stayed very close to SR. It really helps. Everyone here has been through what you are going through. You aren't alone. We're here for you.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fell off.... Back on

Well.. I made it 5 nights and 6 days and then had a dinner with friends and fell off my wagon. I feel awful. I hate that I have to start back at day 1.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm so sorry VitaMia. Good that you came back though! Seems as if you have to make a more solid plan for when the cravings and temptations surface - and they will!!! Day 1s are horrible! You never have to have another......
Old 05-22-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi VitaMia

Yeah many of us faltered a time or two - its really hard to change our lives. Support helps tho - maybe consider posting here daily - getting involved in threads?

sounds like you have some really goods reasons to get and stay sober

the more work you do on your recovery the easier it is to make good decisions and say no to that next drink.

D
Old 05-22-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Don't feel awful - you learned something - keep going, VitaMia.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow! The encouragement....

Wow!! The encouragement and responses to cheer me on, you all.... not looking down on me,..... It is just incredible! Thank you. My face is flooding with tears of raw emotion right now. For, letting myself down and then receiving such a boost of support. Thank you for caring!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Most of us have fallen off the wagon at some point. I have a drawer full of AA white chips. But what is important is to get back on!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
Most of us have fallen off the wagon at some point. I have a drawer full of AA white chips. But what is important is to get back on!
Thank you. I am going to try and not beat myself up for it anymore. The day is over. I have been laying on the couch the entire day. Ugh. I am going to Get some good sleep tonight and cross off day 1.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
J50

Hang in there, it gets better.

I'm at 6+ months, and had all kinds of weird things occur in the beginning.

It's all the result of your body reacting to the lack of alcohol. Once you get through the initial stages it gets much better.

If you consume alcohol, you create a never ending cycle.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks

[QUOTE=J50;6905062]Hang in there, it gets better.

It's all the result of your body reacting to the lack of alcohol. Once you get through the initial stages it gets much better.

Congrats on 6 months!!! That is amazing. I am on day 2 now. I took some advice from an online site about nutritional supplements. At first I thought taking vitamins would not do anything but I have absolutely no cravings. At all! I am taking lots of supplements. A B-max complete, multivitamin, magnesium, d3, omega 3, and milk thistle. I am convinced that this is helping enormously with my withdrawal symptoms. Last round of trying to quit, I was so filled with anxiety and like I had bugs crawling on me. I couldn't stop thinking about a drink. Now, close to day 3 and I haven't wanted a drink at all.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
J50

[QUOTE=VitaMia;6905389]
Originally Posted by J50 View Post
Hang in there, it gets better.

Congrats on 6 months!!! That is amazing. I am on day 2 now. I took some advice from an online site about nutritional supplements. At first I thought taking vitamins would not do anything but I have absolutely no cravings. At all! I am taking lots of supplements. A B-max complete, multivitamin, magnesium, d3, omega 3, and milk thistle. I am convinced that this is helping enormously with my withdrawal symptoms. Last round of trying to quit, I was so filled with anxiety and like I had bugs crawling on me. I couldn't stop thinking about a drink. Now, close to day 3 and I haven't wanted a drink at all.
Nutritional supplements aren't a bad idea. Light exercise is also very good, and try to get some good sleep. It took me a good 6 weeks before the anxiousness and insomnia went away and I was convinced I had really messed myself up. It's all normal and everyone's timeline is different, but it will get better the longer you stay away from the booze. Just fight the early cravings and you'll be on your way!