Notices

Here we go again

Old 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SWB

Here we go again

Please don’t laugh, but here’s day one again. I haven’t been able to really string anything substantial together in the year I’ve been drinking. What am I going to do differently? I’m actually going to try this time, and talk to god a bit more. It’s easy right? Just don’t go to the liquor store.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SWB - Yes, actually trying is good. I had many half-hearted attempts. We know what needs to be done, but sometimes it takes a while to really take it seriously. Congratulations on your Day 1 - and for not giving up on a better life.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi SWB. Nobody here is laughing at you. Most of us have had enough day ones for multiple lifetimes. I'm personally on day 3 for about the millionth time. It is very unfortunate because I had a solid stretch going and I was working at it. Then I started to get lazy. I stopped posting and reading here. I stopped working on my recovery plan. It still took a couple more weeks before I made a conscious decision to drink. What a huge mistake. Two days worth of binging and I am as sick as I have ever been. The worst part is that I got zero enjoyment from drinking. I started feeling sick within the first two drinks.

This time I have committed to read and post here every day for 90 days. I will also work on my recovery plan every day for 90 days. These are attainable goals at the conclusion of which I will have new goals. Keep at it. It is not easy, but most things worth having take work.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SWB

Chase01 I’m just curious, what’s your recovery plan if you don’t mind me asking?
Old 05-18-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Please don’t laugh, but here’s day one again. I haven’t been able to really string anything substantial together in the year I’ve been drinking. What am I going to do differently? I’m actually going to try this time, and talk to god a bit more. It’s easy right? Just don’t go to the liquor store.
Good for you... many false starts will happen, but your commitment to getting sober is what is important... you will build time... always strive to be sober longer than the "last" time.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chase01 View Post
Hi SWB. Nobody here is laughing at you. Most of us have had enough day ones for multiple lifetimes. I'm personally on day 3 for about the millionth time. It is very unfortunate because I had a solid stretch going and I was working at it. Then I started to get lazy. I stopped posting and reading here. I stopped working on my recovery plan. It still took a couple more weeks before I made a conscious decision to drink. What a huge mistake. Two days worth of binging and I am as sick as I have ever been. The worst part is that I got zero enjoyment from drinking. I started feeling sick within the first two drinks.

This time I have committed to read and post here every day for 90 days. I will also work on my recovery plan every day for 90 days. These are attainable goals at the conclusion of which I will have new goals. Keep at it. It is not easy, but most things worth having take work.
Today is my 4th day and I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm thinking about liquor all day
Old 05-18-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ha! I wish I had a nickle for all the times I quit and started! AA worked for me, and you will find other like-minded people. Where I live there are around 50 meetings a day to choose from. I've been at it a long time, and have made some great relationships. It's hard to do it alone, so consider checking out AA and other resources.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, SWB. I doubt that anyone is laughing. I have been through many, many, many day ones and know there is nothing amusing about it--it is deadly serious.
I hope you make a strong plan of recovery and stick around here with the good people of SR. This place has been a god-send for me in getting and staying sober.
Wishing you all the best.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I doubt there's any laughing. Prolly just a lot of nodding as in "yep, been there". Part of recovery is relapsing. It's a daily battle. Sometimes we're too weak to fight. It only takes a single weak moment. The AV is always waiting. It never starves to death - no matter how long we go without feeding it. It's hard wired.

The only way to fail is to stop trying. Stop fighting. Put the AV back into it's place and move forward. It likes it when we feel bad about ourselves. We're pushovers. Easily manipulated by it's sweet promises to make us feel so much better so quickly. Punch the f***er right in the throat for taking advantage of you in your weakened state and go right on with your bad-ass self. A little older, a little wiser and a little stronger. You got this
Old 05-18-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I certainly won't laugh at you, its not a laughing matter. You mentioned "its easy right". IMO, wrong, true sobriety and recovery is a life changing event. Your friends will change, your relationships will change, your health will change, your weight may change. Its a pretty big frickin deal. Congrats on day 1.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey SWB, I used this as a guide to start my plan

store.samhsa.gov/shin/content/SMA-3720/SMA-3720.pdf

It lays out many ideas and some framework. The thing about recovery plans is they are different for everyone. For me it is heavy in focusing on my family and exercise. I try to put many things in there for all eventualities though. If I am at work and can't get up for a jog or even a walk I will practice mindfulness or short meditation. The important thing for me is to remember that my plan changes and is refined and reworked almost every day. I have a notebook where i write all of this stuff down. The plan only stops working when you stop working it, which is exactly what I did last week.

Hope this helps. I am really happy you are here.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SWB

Thank you.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're here and starting again. I had many day ones as well. I agree that not drinking is a simple concert, but it's not easy, especially in early sobriety. I found when I shifted my focus to recovery it really helped.

This is a great link to get you started on a recovery plan and what might work with you.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back SWB. Trying harder is a great idea in theory but if what you've been doing hasn't kept you sober, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense practically.

what about trying harder with different things this time?