Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Just signed up,This is so hard to do. Im in Denial. i gotta fix this.

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. My name is Chris. Im 28 years old. Im at a stand point in life that is now hindering my life,family and my job. Hard as it is to say im here asking for help. Ive given up.

This is gonna be a lil long but i feel like i should share it. Yes, Right now im a little half a 5th in on vodka typing this so keep that in mind. Im trying.

Back when i was about 21 i knew nothing about cars. (funny thing is im a mechanic now)and my mom needed some work done on her jeep. She pulled into a small shop and talked to a nice guy in his 50s and they made plans for him to fix it. Well me and him talked a little bit and i told him i always wanted to know how cars worked. He invited me to come by everyday and he would teach me how to fix things. After a few days i noticed he drank alot of beer. Ended up being a case of beer a day. I didnt think much of it. I didnt drink at the time. After a little time passed by he offered me he would teach me hands on if i would just buy him a case everyday. Which i thought was fair at the time since i didnt have to pay a ton to tech schools etc and i can learn from a "True mechanic" so to say. Well alot of time passed and i started drinking vodka. Turned into a pint a day which i didnt think much about it,ya know im young,dumb,strong and i can handle it.. Years later turned into much more.

Its been now id say 4 years or so,maybe a little less but its been a 5th mon-fri and a 1.75l bottle on the weekends if i dont add a 5th or a few tallboys beers. I go into work (hungover but at one time i learned to deal with it and overcome it). Now its really getting to me,dizzy spells,severe hydration,and just not being able to function.

Now i have the typical shakes/tremers,cant sleep on the weekends,i wake up monday mornings at 4am with cold chills and cold sweats drinking tons of water bottles. I also forget alot of things at work.

So here i am. Not too sure what to do. Told my parents tonight about alot of it and they are concerned. I cant just stop cold turkey. I cant go into rehab and afford to loose work and afford to live since i live by myself.

I typed way too much. I just wanted to say what im dealing with and maybe i can get some others insights. I dont do drugs,etc. I just drink. Thank you guys from looking at this site i see there is amazing people on it.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Chris.

Iam from a similar experience. In my early twenties I sorrounded myself with "mentors" . These were ex drug addicts, alcoholics, small time drug dealers, construction workers.

They also worked very hard and we're in the same feild of industry as I was, so I guess I didn't have much of a choice. To my 19yr old naive brain these guys were at the top. I thought I would learn all the tricks to my job because these guys were "successful" and cool to me at the time because they revolved around the drug and alcohol scene - plus they could hold a job.

Between all them it was mandatory to know how to be a successful booze hound and be at work at 7am switched on, then brag about it.

Like yourself I associatied myself with alcoholics early on and came out 10 years later as an alcoholic.

Unfortunately, my grandfather is a heavy 83yr old alcoholic, and in me he sees a drinking buddy. I used to drink with him every 2nd day, but I had to stop that before i made the decision to be sober.

My uncle also is a ended alcoholic, he is currently in forced rehab because he keeps taking out loans in his mum's name. He too was my drinking role model in my youth and it was with him I had my first vodka at 14.

So my role models to drink were abundant in my work and in my family. But being 27 now I gotta start being a role model if I want to have a normal family and life of my own.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Chris. Welcome to SR. Can you discuss this with a doctor? You will likely receive meds to help you safely detox at home, or maybe even at your parents' house?
Old 05-16-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Chris, and welcome to SR! Hang around, post a lot, and explore. You'll find sooo much help. We'll all been in a similar spot as you.

Congratulations on identifying some of the people, places, and things that are associated in your life with drinking, and starting to step away from them. You're on the right path!

Have you tried to quit?
Old 05-16-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Chris - at 28 I was not willing to admit that I was addicted to it - so I commend you for owning up to what's happening.

I continued drinking long after I knew it was a problem. I ended up drinking every day, with a ruined life. I'm so glad you see that action needs to be taken. You're not alone - we all understand.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris and welcome - this is a great place for support
don't worry about posting too much - post as much as you need to.

do you think you need to see a Doc before you quit?

D
Old 05-16-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Acknowledging you have a problem is a huge step forward so congrats. Not sure how your finances are however if you're not able to see a doctor, I would suggest going to your first AA meeting ASAP. You need a support system so get started right away! Keep us posted and stay involved here. You're not alone.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Im still thinking on how i should go on about this problem. I kinda came up with a plan,me sticking to it? I hope so. Right now with some stress at work and others problems it'll be hard.
Have anyone of you that drinks like i do try winging yourself off say from a 5th to half of one for 2 weeks,then down to a pint for a few weeks onto half pint and so on? Maybe taking supplements/vitamins while doing so?

As far as a doctor. I have not had a family doctor in at least 10 years. I have no insurance and i make just enough to make ends meet. If i stop drinking then yea i could afford it but hey lol this is the reason i cant afford it.

What kind of meds would they give me? I dont really care about anything like Xanax,Valium etc. I just see that as another possible addiction that could start to keep me away from drinking. I wonder if those free minute clinics can do this or if id have to go see a actual doctor.Ive got a few items i could possibly pawn to get the money,if need be.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Doctors often give short prescriptions for a benzo to lessen the withdrawal anxiety. Such a short term use won't lead to addiction. Just to get you over the physical withdrawal from alcohol.

Weaning yourself off is hard to do and is best done quickly. Dragging it out is just another way to continue drinking.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My story is very similar. My recovery was well underway by my 23rd birthday. I was also in much the same position as you re doctors, but I had lost my job.

My suggestion is to find someone who understands your situation and is willing to help you through the next few days as you go through withdrawal, if any. Most of us don't need medical detox, but it is wise to have a plan just in case.

The only place I know where you might find someone who understands and whom you don't have to pay though the nose for, would be AA. Call the AA number and ask to see a recovered alcoholic one on one, so you can find out what is involved.

That is what I did, and it has resulted in me staying sober more than 38 years.
As you said, you need to fix this. I reckon if you could fix it, you would have done so by now. Maybe its time to reach out.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck to you in dealing with this, hope you check everything out with a Dr. first. Impressive you are asking for help. Please keep checking back and let us know how you're doing. Take good care Chris.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome..I'm a car,motorcycle,boat,anything fast guy and do some wrenching. I also just opened up a spot and have some mechanic guy's with their 12pks for the day over.. I'd suggest trying to quit cold,as when I've tried to taper I'd do 'ok' for a couple weeks and end up drinking the same way again. Also, court ordered AA really got my head on straight about the mental side of it.

Edit: I've drank(got hammered) one night in 16months. I don't touch the stuff anymore.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Chris and please feel free to post as much or as often as you like. We're here to offer support.

Cutting back and weaning off alcohol is almost impossible for us alcoholics. Going cold turkey is easier, but you should talk to a dr first.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'd also suggest you go cold turkey but I'd see a Dr first. It would be handy to have some valium on hand if you need it. I was given 5 tablets and only needed two, one on day 1 and one on day 2 of my withdrawal. I don't really get the fuss with valium. It makes me feel weird and down but it certainly helped me get through day 1. Without it I think I would have ended up drinking again on day 1. It just made it so much easier to get through that horrible day 1 morning which is absolutely horrendous. Tapering off is frankly incredibly difficult. Alcoholics by nature can't stop drinking once we've started. Having just one drink increases the chances of you getting drunk again and the cycle starts all over again when you wake up hungover. Well done for admitting you have a problem. Keep us updated.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Benzoes are sometimes described short term - but everyone should talk with their Dr about what is the right med for them.

Some members here have become addicted to benzoes - while thats unlikely in a short term regimen, thats basically why a lot of people are leery of benzoes.

D