Notices

Help

Old 05-15-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

So my 23 year old brother is addicted to cocaine. I thought since his, now ex, girlfriend had his child in February that he would’ve stopped but now he’s not only ruining his life and my life he’s ruining his chance of creating one with his son. I’ve tried to keep him and his mindset just positive but his ex really messed him up big time: she also takes drugs. I’m completely oblivious to drugs etc except what I’ve witnessed through them. I do have a drinking problem and I’m only 18 and it’s because of the stuff my brother and I have went through cus of our family; we only have each other. I do try to put myself in his shoes with regards to him being asked to stop abusing drugs, if someone asked me to stop drinking forever like I know its out of the question impossible. I’ve been researching rehabs online I’ve found one near me but there’s no reviews online which is how I came across this site cus I finally found a review and it was not positive whatsoever. I have always asked myself how do you help someone that not only doesn’t want it but tells me to wiseup when I ask? Just looking some advice on how to approach this situation thanks.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm sorry for the situation with your brother. I think he will have to be the one to decide to seek help for himself when he is ready. Unfortunately, as you probably know you can't push him into it.

I'm concerned that you have a drinking problem and you're 18. It would be a really good idea for you to consider stopping drinking. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse unless you stop. I understand that it seems impossible to think about never drinking again. Most of us here have felt the same thing, but it can done and you can be happy. I hope that you stick around and become inspired to be sober.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome justsum

I know it must be hard for you to watch, and I it sounds like you'd do anything to help.

The fact is tho, until your brother wants to stop, and takes action to stop, I'm not sure that anything you organise will help,

as for yourself,

If someone asked me to stop drinking forever like I know its out of the question impossible.
I was there once too

I have over a decade of recovery now - nothing is impossible.

My advice is, for now, think about starting your own recovery journey - who knows? you may even inspire your brother to change his ways and start his own journey?

D