Notices

I think Im getting the hang of this

Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think Im getting the hang of this

After many many start and stops I think I am finally getting the hang of it.
I have had a lot of practice doing things sober, 5 months, 2 months, 3 weeks etc., I have also gone to my bachelorette and bridal shower sober, and had a great time.
Until we went to my wedding and we had business class free booze... luckily nothing bad happened at wedding and it was all good.. but I still just dont want to drink anymore I hate the anxiety and depression and I know its not long until I black out and hate myself again.

I recently realized my biggest issue is I am a big people pleaser, and I have a really hard time at not doing what every one else is doing, or wanting to fit in. I realize this is a big facet to me caving in social situations. I also realize I need to put my sobriety above anything else, before I had one foot in, one foot out so to speak, still putting other people above my sobriety.

This time I am not doing that. I have started to see a therapist to work on some issues I have and I am starting to get to the roots of why i drink.

This past weekend, I was invited to a birthday party that before, I would have gone to even though I was dreading it because my friend would make me feel rude for not going. This time instead of working myself up and just going to please other people. I simply said no thanks we are lazy.

And NO ONE DIED, or hated me! LOL

Baby steps!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Excellent!

I was a people-pleaser too and it caused problems for me. Oprah calls it 'the disease to please' and it was for me. Like you, I found so much empowerment in being able to say 'No' and realizing the world kept turning.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great to read you’re getting the hang of living sober! I cared way too much about what others thought of me too. So glad I don’t live that way anymore.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

Very good! You're doing it!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you icandothis

D
Old 05-15-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ican,

Great post!

Ime...wanting to quit drinking and understanding what booze does/has done to me are the battle parameters.

I don't usually have to fight, but when the crave is strong I know what the moves are.

Sounds like u do as well.

I wish I was more of a people pleaser sometimes. I can totally be the opposite and it has hurt me here and there over the years.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm really happy to read your upbeat & positive post!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Excellent!

I was a people-pleaser too and it caused problems for me. Oprah calls it 'the disease to please' and it was for me. Like you, I found so much empowerment in being able to say 'No' and realizing the world kept turning.
Never heard the "disease to please" before. I googled it, then bought the book!! Thank you!!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Ican,

Great post!

Ime...wanting to quit drinking and understanding what booze does/has done to me are the battle parameters.

I don't usually have to fight, but when the crave is strong I know what the moves are.

Sounds like u do as well.

I wish I was more of a people pleaser sometimes. I can totally be the opposite and it has hurt me here and there over the years.

Thanks.
Thanks Isnt is weird how different we can all be, but at the same time so similar?!
Old 05-16-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

icandothis you are doing EXACTLY the right thing putting your sobriety before everything else. It is absolutely essential to achieving long term sobriety.
Sobriety brings with it an absolute freedom. Freedom to say yes and also freedom to say no!
One thing I try to stop myself doing is use the word "should" and replace it with "choose to". Puts a positive spin on the decisions we make.
Great job and I love your positivity!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
icandothis you are doing EXACTLY the right thing putting your sobriety before everything else. It is absolutely essential to achieving long term sobriety.
Sobriety brings with it an absolute freedom. Freedom to say yes and also freedom to say no!
One thing I try to stop myself doing is use the word "should" and replace it with "choose to". Puts a positive spin on the decisions we make.
Great job and I love your positivity!
It is absolutely essential youre right! Its quite empowering to "choose" as you say how we use our free time. I am bad for the "shoulding" as well. No is a complete sentence im learning