Notices

Today has got to be the day

Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today has got to be the day

I drink every day. Yesterday i drank 3 bottles of wine, that’s not uncommon for me but it’s a problem and affecting my life. I am frightened i am going to die from the drink and leave my 4 kids without a mother.
I have had one glass of lager to help me get through today. It is 6.30pm and i am in bed as i cannot trust myself to not open the wine.
I don’t know how to do this!
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're doing it.

Tomorrow throw out any alcohol in your house, don't buy any more and don't pick up a drink.

One day at a time, keep coming here and keep reading and you'll learn how to do it.

How to make a plan:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 05-15-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR emily. You already took the first step by coming her to get help. Perhaps getting rid of the wine might be a good next step?

You'll find a lot of support and understanding here, i'd not rule out seeking help locally to either via a support group, doctor or even clergy.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Emily! As biminiblue suggested, throw the deadly poison out without any further delay. Keep telling yourself this will turn out to be very good for you and your family.
Vow to not touch any alcohol however the day goes, however irritated you feel. For me, the killer was the thought I can somehow moderate - that is the sneakiest thought AV will send you. Moderation is a joke and a death trap - do not fall for it.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You do know how, and you are doing it! You are worthy, and deserve to feel better. Your children deserve an engaged parent. The first few days off alcohol are not fun, but stay strong, you never have to feel this way again! Going to bed early is a good strategy. Take a big bowl of ice cream with you to make it even better :-) Try distracting yourself with your job, hobbies, caring for/playing with the kids, spring cleaning, gardening or exercise. Keep busy, you can do this! Welcome to SR!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As others have said, you came here which is a great first step. The next is making a plan, as Bimini suggested. Right now it feels like a huge, impossible task but it's not, you just have to approach this one step at at time. We all understand what you're going through and there IS a way out of this hell! Keep reading and posting on this forum and you will see what I mean.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmilyBrooke View Post
I drink every day. Yesterday i drank 3 bottles of wine, that’s not uncommon for me but it’s a problem and affecting my life. I am frightened i am going to die from the drink and leave my 4 kids without a mother.
I have had one glass of lager to help me get through today. It is 6.30pm and i am in bed as i cannot trust myself to not open the wine.
I don’t know how to do this!
I was a 1 - 2 a day bottle of wine person. When I was in early sobriety I would sometimes just go to bed so I wouldn't drink. Sometimes took a snack and watched some tv. If I can do this so can you! I have 4 kids too!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
I was a 1 - 2 a day bottle of wine person. When I was in early sobriety I would sometimes just go to bed so I wouldn't drink. Sometimes took a snack and watched some tv. If I can do this so can you! I have 4 kids too!
Me too! It works!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Emily

you do this day by day, with support and then over time you'll find the task gets easier and easier.

Use this place as much as you need to. Look around to see what others are doing to stay sober, and pick a way that makes sense to you

D
Old 05-15-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, Emily. I was in sad shape too when I found SR. Being here, with people who care, made all the difference to me. It sounds like drinking is nothing but misery for you. It'll feel good to be free of it.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making such a positive decision for you and your family.

It is normal to feel overwhelmed when you are first trying to get sober. I used to think it would just be impossible to cope without alcohol. With some sober time and a bit of perspective, I find it impossible to believe that I coped so long whilst actively addicted to alcohol.

It is very hard to see a way out when you are actively addicted, but things really do get easier. (This is even true for me, and my life fell to bits when I quit.) I wouldn't exactly recommend the early stages of recover to anyone as it can be difficult and painful, but for me simply living without constant hangovers made it worthwhile from the start.

Read around the site as much as you can in the early days. There are lots of approaches to quitting, and I think a lot of people mix and match things to help them.

For me, the big one early on was learning something about Addictive Voice Recognition Therapy. You'll see the term AV used here a lot, which stands for Addictive Voice. The idea is that you recognize any thoughts of drinking as a product of your addiction not your rational self. This makes it easier to separate from these thoughts and dismiss them as "just the AV speaking." (Apologies if you know this already!)

Anyway, welcome!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Welcome Emily! I too was a wine drinker - I didn't drink 3 bottles though...i drank entire BOXES! At one point I was so terrified of running out of wine that I lined the walls of an entire closet with wine boxes. Apparently I was in survival mode for some sort of Winepocalypse. But today I am celebrating an entire year of abstinence and sobriety. You can do it too - 24 hours at a time 😉😎