Notices

Move to California

Old 05-13-2018, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Move to California

I am wanting to move from Minneapolis Minnesota to California by November 1st of this year. I am open to any area in California where the cost of living is on the cheaper side and warm and sunny most of the time. However, I want there to be a good recovery community there. Any suggestions? I currently am in the Narcotics Anonymous Fellowship
Old 05-13-2018, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cheap and Cali do not exist.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

There are plenty of places in CA where the cost of living is low.

You can google it. I lived by San Francisco for a while, the prices there were more expensive.

You can get an older home for less than $200k within an hour of SF.

I am familiar with NorCal.

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there....

I am in Phoenix Az and can honestly tell you that Cali is extremely expensive to live. I have been visiting the state a few times a year for the past 10 years, in hopes of relocating there.......

If you are going with a high paying job and relocation expenses, enjoy!
If not, please consider the cost of renting an apt in Ca, or the overinflated housing market.

Not trying to be negative....just my observations
Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bfab

can't help you with any experience but welcome to SR
D
Old 05-13-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Bfab and welcome to SR.

I used to live in NoCal (SF-Bay area/Marin county) as well as San Jose. I can say that those areas are quite expensive. When I left I think the average home price in San Rafael was ~ $900,000.

There are less expensive areas in California but they may or may not appeal to you. For example, Barstow, CA is inexpensive but I would never want to live there.

Santa Cruz is a nice place (warm & near the ocean) and relatively inexpensive (comparatively). I'm betting that it has a good recovery community, however that is most likely due to the huge amount of drugs and addiction that exists in that community.

There are some more rural and remote areas up along the northern part of CA which are probably inexpensive and beautiful but not necessarily close to a city. And then there is also Sacramento which is a bit inland and reasonable.

Don't know as much about LA/San Diego area.
Best of luck.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also..Change of location does not equal change in one's self. The whole "Wherever you go..there YOU are." thing.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've lived in CA my whole life and won't ever leave. Kind of like the song...

If you drive down I-5 down the middle of California's long, slow stretch, you get a feel for the fact that it's not all LA and San Francisco. There are many, many smaller towns that are more affordable. You still won't get the square footage per dollar that you might get in Texas or Arkansas or...tons of other states, but we are almost always gorgeous outside, so who needs square footage? We are outside all the time, baby!

Good luck finding something. I'm a born and bred Central Valley girl and haven't gone much farther than that most of my life.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Folks pay for the warm and sunny part (and anything coastal) so that is where the prices will be highest. But there are also a ton of jobs in those areas. I love Eureka, but toss the warm and sunny. There's central cali but it gets quite hot and there isn't the bustling job market. What about Florida?

I would move where you have support, economic opportunities. I moved out of Cali and it did work out. But I was still there and had to deal with me, no matter where I am!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in Southern California and can tell you that unless you don't mind living in crime and drug filled areas, a small house with no land will easily fetch over $500K. 1 bedroom apartments are going for $1500 per month, if you can find one available.

If it wasn't for my career, I'd sell my house for an absurd amount of money and head over into Oregon, Idaho, Arizona, Texas... Anywhere but here.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

not sure about year round climate but the many many times i've made the drive to LA from Seattle (and back!), the Mt Shasta area always calls to my heart.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I lived north of San Diego for five years, La Jolla, Oceanside and other places. California is absolutely gorgeous, but you pay for it. Most people I knew that lived there either had a high paying job or had several roommates to pay for the high cost of living. Also met some young people that inherited tons of money from rich family members. They had it made. I didn't have a high paying job and wasn't interested in having roommates so I eventually moved to Florida. Just keep in mind California taxes are very high. My motto while living in Cali was once the feds take your money, Cali will take the rest. For some reason, the only cheap thing in Cali was the electricity. I think it's because they have nuclear plants there.
Might want to consider Florida. Much cheaper and the beaches are great (and the water much warmer!!).
BTW, also moved from Minneapolis to Cali. I'll never shovel snow again!!!! John
Old 05-14-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention that many people get by by having two, sometimes three jobs. Some families will buy a big house and everybody moves in; parents, grandparents, uncles, etc., and they all chip in to pay for it. The problem I felt with this was you might live in a beautiful state, but don't have much time to enjoy it. Not trying to burst your bubble, but that's the reality of living in Cali. Be creative and you just might make it work. Good luck. John
Old 05-14-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by REM700 View Post
I'm in Southern California and can tell you that unless you don't mind living in crime and drug filled areas, a small house with no land will easily fetch over $500K. 1 bedroom apartments are going for $1500 per month, if you can find one available.

If it wasn't for my career, I'd sell my house for an absurd amount of money and head over into Oregon, Idaho, Arizona, Texas... Anywhere but here.
I’m a So Cal native and this hit the nail right on the head!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Central valley is affordable, has plenty of jobs, is 70-80 degrees from September to November and 70-80 from February to june. We have two months that get over 100 sometimes, but are usually 90. and then two months where it's around 50.

It is gorgeous and I love the super hot months because we live in the pool and it feels like vacation.

SoCal or bay area are fun places to visit, not to live.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've got a couple investment properties in Laguna Niguel that have doubled in value the past 5yrs. When I went up to San Fran two years ago and crashed on a buddy's couch in his 1bd appartment(about 600sqft),30min from town..his rent was 'locked in' at $1900/mo,no parking for visitors,so I was walking a mile to get my car and new residents were paying $2200/mo for the same appt..Crazy! I use Cali for vacations only these days. It is a beautiful state minus the desert. I have enough of that where I live.