Notices

"I don't need it anymore."

Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"I don't need it anymore."

That's what I told myself this morning, as I poured the remainder of my $10 bottle of strawberry lemonade flavored vodka down the bathroom sink. My first time doing so? Hell no! In fact, I couldn't *count* all of the times I've done this before. The thing is, there's something different about this time. Nothing happened last night. I didn't have a push from anyone this time. I'm just tired of it.

I'm a college student in my mid 20's and two months ago I lost the person I loved more than anything. He left me. I held onto something from my past for a little too long, and it came up every time I drank. For over a year. Awful, isn't it? Why do we do that?

I graduate from college this month. I'm looking to continue my education elsewhere and I don't want to drag this pain along with me any further. Like many of you, my journey has been long and difficult and I've had so many reasons to give up but somehow I haven't. Maybe it's because I have so many more reasons *not* to give up.

I also just stumbled across one of the best quotes I've seen in a long time; "You can give up one thing to keep everything, or you can give up everything to keep one thing." Really struck a chord with me.

Well, here I am, and I'm going to try this again. No drinks today. Thanks for reading!!! Wish you all the best.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are here!
Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to SR. great job tossing that out.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I can not say that I will never drink again. I will not drink today, that is for sure. I want to give sobriety another shot and see how it goes. One thing that I do know, is that I have to take things day by day. Hour by hour. I'm going through a lot of mental turmoil as well at the moment, and I'm trying to learn from all of this craziness.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Start noticing the things about your life that are better without alcohol. That helps as much or more than remembering the bad things about your life WITH alcohol.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Start noticing the things about your life that are better without alcohol. That helps as much or more than remembering the bad things about your life WITH alcohol.
I really have never thought about recovery this way.
I was always stuck in a pattern of "shaming" myself mentally for all of the BS I've caused over the years, and I feel as though it just breeds more negativity. Clearly it has not worked for me. I will absolutely try this instead.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome foggy! We're so glad you are here.

What I wouldn't give to go back to my 20's and make the decision that you are. You're realizing that alcohol is negatively impacting your life & changing your personality when it's in your system. I knew that too - but I chose to try & manage the amounts I drank. Many years of trying to moderate failed. My life was all but destroyed by my decision to hold on to alcohol at all costs. You'll never suffer the miserable outcome that so many of us have. Being here will be helpful - there's plenty of encouragement. You're not alone - and you can stay free.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

The quote you referenced at the end truly puts everything in a nutshell:
"You can give up one thing to keep everything, or you can give up everything to keep one thing."

Even if not quite that extreme, continuing to drink as I did robs me of much of the wonders of living. You can indeed move on from this. I have no doubt. The biggest factor to keep in mind is that what alcohol does now will not ever change, except to become worse. That is at least my personal experience and long time observation of those that do not normally process alcohol. Best to you.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by foggyflamingo View Post
That's what I told myself this morning, as I poured the remainder of my $10 bottle of strawberry lemonade flavored vodka down the bathroom sink. My first time doing so? Hell no! In fact, I couldn't *count* all of the times I've done this before. The thing is, there's something different about this time. Nothing happened last night. I didn't have a push from anyone this time. I'm just tired of it.

I'm a college student in my mid 20's and two months ago I lost the person I loved more than anything. He left me. I held onto something from my past for a little too long, and it came up every time I drank. For over a year. Awful, isn't it? Why do we do that?

I graduate from college this month. I'm looking to continue my education elsewhere and I don't want to drag this pain along with me any further. Like many of you, my journey has been long and difficult and I've had so many reasons to give up but somehow I haven't. Maybe it's because I have so many more reasons *not* to give up.

I also just stumbled across one of the best quotes I've seen in a long time; "You can give up one thing to keep everything, or you can give up everything to keep one thing." Really struck a chord with me.

Well, here I am, and I'm going to try this again. No drinks today. Thanks for reading!!! Wish you all the best.

Very best wishes your way, you are so smart to attack this while still quite young!! Thank you for that quote. It certainly makes a world of sense and Ill add that to the aresonal
Old 05-10-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D