Notices

NA meetings on drugs

Old 05-10-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA meetings on drugs

Hi, this is most likely a very stupid question, so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone. I am currently looking to get clean and really want to attend an NA meeting for support. If I have used that day or am using (But respectful and to myself), Can I still attend a meeting?

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome Alii. there are no stupid questions and quite understandable why youre asking.
to answer, you are more than welcome to attend even if you have used or are using. NA members would prefer to see people at meetings whatever condition rather than out on the streets.

heres something read at some meetings:

What is the Narcotics Anonymous program?
NA is a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a
major problem. We are recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean.
This is a program of complete abstinence from all drugs. There is only one requirement for
membership, the desire to stop using.
We suggest that you keep an open mind and give
yourself a break. Our program is a set of principles written so simply that we can follow them
in our daily lives. The most important thing about them is that they work.
There are no strings attached to NA. We are not affiliated with any other organizations. We
have no initiation fees or dues, no pledges to sign, no promises to make to anyone. We are not
connected with any political, religious, or law enforcement groups, and are under no
surveillance at any time. Anyone may join us, regardless of age, race, sexual identity, creed,
religion, or lack of religion.
We are not interested in what or how much you used or who your connections were, what
you have done in the past, how much or how little you have, but only in what you want to do
about your problem and how we can help. The newcomer is the most important person at any
meeting, because we can only keep what we have by giving it away. We have learned from our
group experience that those who keep coming to our meetings regularly stay clean.
Why are we here?
Before coming to the Fellowship of NA, we could not manage our own lives. We could not
live and enjoy life as other people do. We had to have something different and we thought we
had found it in drugs. We placed their use ahead of the welfare of our families, our wives,
husbands, and our children. We had to have drugs at all costs. We did many people great harm,
but most of all we harmed ourselves. Through our inability to accept personal responsibilities
we were actually creating our own problems. We seemed to be incapable of facing life on its
own terms.
Most of us realized that in our addiction we were slowly committing suicide, but addiction is
such a cunning enemy of life that we had lost the power to do anything about it. Many of us
ended up in jail, or sought help through medicine, religion, and psychiatry. None of these
methods was sufficient for us. Our disease always resurfaced or continued to progress until, in
desperation, we sought help from each other in Narcotics Anonymous.
After coming to NA we realized we were sick people. We suffered from a disease from which
there is no known cure. It can, however, be arrested at some point, and recovery is then possible.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
welcome Alii. there are no stupid questions and quite understandable why youre asking.
to answer, you are more than welcome to attend even if you have used or are using. NA members would prefer to see people at meetings whatever condition rather than out on the streets.

heres something read at some meetings:

What is the Narcotics Anonymous program?
NA is a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a
major problem. We are recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean.
This is a program of complete abstinence from all drugs. There is only one requirement for
membership, the desire to stop using.
We suggest that you keep an open mind and give
yourself a break. Our program is a set of principles written so simply that we can follow them
in our daily lives. The most important thing about them is that they work.
There are no strings attached to NA. We are not affiliated with any other organizations. We
have no initiation fees or dues, no pledges to sign, no promises to make to anyone. We are not
connected with any political, religious, or law enforcement groups, and are under no
surveillance at any time. Anyone may join us, regardless of age, race, sexual identity, creed,
religion, or lack of religion.
We are not interested in what or how much you used or who your connections were, what
you have done in the past, how much or how little you have, but only in what you want to do
about your problem and how we can help. The newcomer is the most important person at any
meeting, because we can only keep what we have by giving it away. We have learned from our
group experience that those who keep coming to our meetings regularly stay clean.
Why are we here?
Before coming to the Fellowship of NA, we could not manage our own lives. We could not
live and enjoy life as other people do. We had to have something different and we thought we
had found it in drugs. We placed their use ahead of the welfare of our families, our wives,
husbands, and our children. We had to have drugs at all costs. We did many people great harm,
but most of all we harmed ourselves. Through our inability to accept personal responsibilities
we were actually creating our own problems. We seemed to be incapable of facing life on its
own terms.
Most of us realized that in our addiction we were slowly committing suicide, but addiction is
such a cunning enemy of life that we had lost the power to do anything about it. Many of us
ended up in jail, or sought help through medicine, religion, and psychiatry. None of these
methods was sufficient for us. Our disease always resurfaced or continued to progress until, in
desperation, we sought help from each other in Narcotics Anonymous.
After coming to NA we realized we were sick people. We suffered from a disease from which
there is no known cure. It can, however, be arrested at some point, and recovery is then possible.
Thank you so much for your reply. It means alot. That was a great read as Well. I needed that. I have been so nervous and embarrassed to ask this question for quite some time, so I really appreciate your kindness and honestly.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi Alii,

I am not a member of NA (my issues were alcohol and codependency) but I wanted to welcome you to SR.
I hope you will stick around, this is a great supportive community and I hope that you will like it as much as I do.

I am glad that you decided to quit using and that you are here with us
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Alli! Carlotta's post said it all but you certainly can attend NA if you're using. My issue is alcohol but I have gone to AA meetings def under the influence. Just being there and listening with an open mind are all you need to do.
Wishing you all the best.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Alii!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

We're here to lend support.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

There is a practice in many 12 Step groups that you can attend, but not share, if you've used in the past 24 hours.

It's actually nowhere in the Big Book or AA literature. One of my groups didn't do that after a vote.

But ANY group would encourage attendance, even if under the influence of your DOC (or something else).

We all start somewhere.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alii View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. It means alot. That was a great read as Well. I needed that. I have been so nervous and embarrassed to ask this question for quite some time, so I really appreciate your kindness and honestly.
yer welcome. nothin to be embarrassed about. there was a crapton i didnt know crap about with both NA and AA and wouldnt have learned without asking.
this is a pretty good forum here,too. LOTS of good people with a LOT of experience,strength, and hope.

let us know how your first meeting goes,eh?
Old 05-10-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience of NA to share here, but welcome to SR Alii

D
Old 05-10-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just want to welcome you to SR, Alii. There's lots of good people here and good support.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.