Notices

I have a question

Old 05-09-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a question

Hi everyone,

I'm not new to alcohol, I've been drinking since 18, now 24. I have a question about withdrawal symptoms however. I usually get withdrawal when I try to quit and I have even been to the hospital. But after this recent bender of about 2 weeks of at least 10-15 beers a day, I felt fine after the first day (just shakes and chest pain.) Is this something that could be happening or is something wrong here?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawals from alcohol are unpredictable. It's always best to talk to your dr if you have any concerns. We can't offer any kind of medical advice here.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Withdrawal symptoms can vary widely. If you are having chest pain, you should get medical help as that can be serious. Usually the physical withdrawal lasts about 3 to 5 days.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

qkr,

The pc answer is...see a dr. We can't offer med advice here.

The rest of the story is this...

imo...the good news is that if you can manage to quit drinking, you will have made it off of a path that will hamper your growth as a human. Relate it to trying to run up a hill carrying a 50 lb. sack of potatoes.

The bad news is quitting at such a young age is tough because you don't feel the physical damage until around 40 years old. By that time, there is major irreversible brain damage. The hell you will feel will help you to quit then.

More bad news...you are addicted for the rest of you life. The addiction is forever. It is a chronic condition.

I was clean for 8 months when I was 27. I gave into the crave and it nearly killed me.

I had a ton of fun being a drunk, but it nearly cost me my life. I was lucky to find SR.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
The bad news is quitting at such a young age is tough because you don't feel the physical damage until around 40 years old. By that time, there is major irreversible brain damage. The hell you will feel will help you to quit then.
And liver and kidneys. The whole "my liver enzyme levels returned to normal" doesn't mean what many people hope it means.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MrBrad

It's not something I can explain. Sometimes the withdrawal symptoms can be intense and other times they can be nearly non existent, something I've called a 'soft landing'. The soft landing made me feel empowered to quit drinking, but filled my mind with thoughts of drinking again, consequence free.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

"... The hell you will feel will help you to quit then."

Agreed.. It gets nastier and nastier as you get older. You have a wonderful opportunity to direct your life in the right direction at 24. I was too naive even stupid maybe kept partying until addiction took over and then I felt the "hell"

In recovery since joining SR in March 2016 at 40 years old.

Take care of yourself.
Your on a slippery path.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is progressive and gets nothing but worse over time. I could drink like a madman in my 20's and would have little more than an annoying hangover in the morning, which evolved into all day hangovers, then into horrible anxiety and feeling like garbage for days, to debilitating panic attacks and truly feeling what hell on earth is. Not to mention the numerous ER/doc/urgent care visits because of alcohol.
Quit while you are ahead so to speak, it gets nothing but worse, a LOT worse,...
Old 05-10-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in the same situation. I drank just as much or more than that. I thought I would be in worse shape than this.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
"... The hell you will feel will help you to quit then."

Agreed.. It gets nastier and nastier as you get older. You have a wonderful opportunity to direct your life in the right direction at 24. I was too naive even stupid maybe kept partying until addiction took over and then I felt the "hell"

In recovery since joining SR in March 2016 at 40 years old.

Take care of yourself.
Your on a slippery path.
Agreed. I’m 43 and, while I didn’t have trouble stopping, I’ve felt worse physically on and off since I stopped drinking this January past than I probably have done at any time before. Physically I’ve checked out fine, but the fact I’ve felt so lousy suggests that there has been damage done nevertheless — unavoidable if you drink on and off for 20+ years, as I have. Equally, I’m likely not recovering quickly because, again, I’m no spring chicken and have had a long and complicated history with alcohol. And, finally, I’ve wasted years in thrall to a bottle and that’s sad and rather pathetic all at the same time. Do yourself a favour and stop now: like Vman says, it’s a slippery slope and there’s no crash barrier at the bottom.

Stick close. Best to you: I’m sending you all my support.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm 37 and drank on and off all my life. If you look at statistics not everyone gets withdrawal and they don't know why