Notices

On to Day 9! Last night was weird.....

Old 05-06-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On to Day 9! Last night was weird.....

So things are going well sobriety wise. Not any real strong cravings — at least none that make me want to screw up what I have got going. I am on Campral too, and it is helping I think, particularly with anxiety (Campral is a drug that in addition to help stifle cravings, it helps repair damage to neurotransmitters and receptors from prolonged alcohol use).

Physically, I would probably be great if fhotbfor babysitting my drunk wife last night. She got hungry late so we went to a nearby Italian restaurant. But she decided she didn’t want to eat but to have a glass of wine or two. Well that turned into 2 glasses of wine, 3 Jaegaer bombs, and a beer. She was toasted. But what was weird was observing her really drunk while I was sober.

It was wondering if I acted like that drunk. She kept repeating herself, talking to people she didn’t know (not flirting), and just generally being silly. And no, I did not have the slightest to drink. In fact, it reinforced my will not to drink. I was like, man, I do not want to be like that ever again.

So the wife is still in bed nursing a hangover. She only drinks like this about once a month, so I do not think this will pose a problem. But I am thinking she may want to go sober for a while.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Crummy night far as I can tell.

My wife is pregnant so although we have been at numerous social events with friends and family who drink I haven't had to deal with her drinking. She's not a big drinker - would never get all that booze your lady got down by herself - but I'm still not looking forward to her wanting wine in a few months.

How involved is she in you getting sober? My wife, after some time, finally understands that I can't ever drink again.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

She’s been very, very supportive, except this time. She does not drink often, but when she does, look out. She’s Russian and has a gear to her drinking I just do not have. Thank God. Honestly, it was not bad at all. In fact, it was enlightening. She had the wine at the restaurant, but then we hit a bar that we used to go to when I was full on drinking like a fish.

Whole different vibe sober. It was repulsive.

But hey, your wife is pregnant!!!! That is awesome!!!!! My wife and I are trying to get pregnant! That is one of the main drivers for me to get sober. I am so happy for you! Wish my wife and I luck!!!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
She’s been very, very supportive, except this time. She does not drink often, but when she does, look out. She’s Russian and has a gear to her drinking I just do not have. Thank God. Honestly, it was not bad at all. In fact, it was enlightening. She had the wine at the restaurant, but then we hit a bar that we used to go to when I was full on drinking like a fish.

Whole different vibe sober. It was repulsive.

But hey, your wife is pregnant!!!! That is awesome!!!!! My wife and I are trying to get pregnant! That is one of the main drivers for me to get sober. I am so happy for you! Wish my wife and I luck!!!
Got it man. It can be an eye-opener that's for sure. And once the stupid pangs of envy pass, it's a relief not to be that drunk.

Thank you! Very exciting. My sobriety is driven by my coming baby and the fact I need to be the father I should have been all these years to my son. I'm not losing the thread this time.

Good luck man! It's quite a ride and I'm so excited to be present and sober this f'king time around.

Keeping it moving.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband is also a normal drinker who gets drunk once a month or maybe two months. When I'm drinking I love being around my husband drunk, but when I'm sober I feel like he is super immature and boring. Didn't take long for me to realize my judgments of him are actually all about me.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
My husband is also a normal drinker who gets drunk once a month or maybe two months. When I'm drinking I love being around my husband drunk, but when I'm sober I feel like he is super immature and boring. Didn't take long for me to realize my judgments of him are actually all about me.
Yep. We have an allergy normal drinkers don’t have. Yes, pangs of envy indeed. The wife had a ball, she was in a very good mood. Wish I could do that. I can’t ever. Hello steps 1 & 2.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
This resonates. Drink makes me a nasty, judgy person and people in glasshouses DEFINITELY shouldn’t throw stones!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My husband will drink if we are out socially. I Don't really find him obnoxious when he drinks. He repeats himself, an interesting observation I saw the last time we were out, there were 8 people at our table and only 4 drinkers. Being sober I seem to have developed drunk-dar and naturally gravitate to conversations and sitting with other nondrinkers.
My husband got 2 bottles of whiskey for Christmas and had 3/4 of one left from last summer. We regifted a Christmas one. The rest is still sitting in the cupboard. He is not a big drinker, only if offered by someone else or we are out. He doesn't understand pleasure from drinking. It is like a necessary evil in social situations and one he is starting to avoid.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
My husband will drink if we are out socially. I Don't really find him obnoxious when he drinks. He repeats himself, an interesting observation I saw the last time we were out, there were 8 people at our table and only 4 drinkers. Being sober I seem to have developed drunk-dar and naturally gravitate to conversations and sitting with other nondrinkers.
My husband got 2 bottles of whiskey for Christmas and had 3/4 of one left from last summer. We regifted a Christmas one. The rest is still sitting in the cupboard. He is not a big drinker, only if offered by someone else or we are out. He doesn't understand pleasure from drinking. It is like a necessary evil in social situations and one he is starting to avoid.
Gosh, I wish I could be that way. Oh well.🙂
Old 05-06-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well that turned into 2 glasses of wine, 3 Jaegaer bombs, and a beer.
Sounds like breakfast. Haha. Just kidding. Well not really. Ugh.

Well I don't know how bad you get when you drink, but I get 'that' bad. Worse actually. I'm an, um, alcoholic.

Alcohol is an interesting drug. And it makes sense that I like it so much. You see, I actually don't like getting high. What? You say. No really. So alcohol is perfect. Because I don't know I'm getting completely wasted...that's kinda the hallmark of the drug. It lowers the inhibitions and completely distorts, well, everything. "I didn't get THAT drunk last night...." she says as she's cleaning barf off her shoes. I mean, that's the deal. So no one, including addicts, know they are behaving like morons. I mean, if we did, while it was happening? We wouldn't do it. I used to smoke pot when I was young. I would get a little high and then stop because I didn't like getting totally high. I've done a bunch of different drugs and not one of them made me so out of touch with me that I had no idea how high I was. Probably why other drugs don't appeal to me.

Yes, drunk people repeat themselves. Over and over. And yeah, I'm sure I did all of it. Until I was so deep in my addiction that I only drank alone.

Ah alcohol. So much fun....

Congrats on day 9 my friend.