Notices

Job loss

Old 05-05-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Job loss

Is losing employment necessarily a bad thing for an alcoholic to go through? Will it lead to being on th streets?
Old 05-05-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I imagine the answer to both question is "it depends."
Old 05-05-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

depends on a lot of things. Savings,living situation,why the loss of job happened,ect..The number one to me would be;Is the Alcoholic planning to stop drinking and work a hard recovery plan for their future.

Edit: I'm self employed and took 6mo 'off' from work to get focused on my sobriety. I still had some income,but probably 'lost' about $45k-$60k(usd) doing this. Without doing this I would have eventually lost everything anyways.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Edit: I'm self employed and took 6mo 'off' from work to get focused on my sobriety. I still had some income,but probably 'lost' about $45k-$60k(usd) doing this. Without doing this I would have eventually lost everything anyways.
Exactly what I am doing dontremember, toyed with the decision for ages...what if I don't get more work after...will it ruin my chances but the reality is if I don't I WILL end up with nothing!

Agree with ProffessorD, there are so many factors to consider it is an impossible questions to answer.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
Is losing employment necessarily a bad thing for an alcoholic to go through? Will it lead to being on th streets?
There are so many variables its impossiblr to give an answer HC.

It was bad for me to be unempoloyed, sick and without a purpose for sure. I drank all day.

Somehow tho I always made rent so I was never that close to being homeless.

Are you thinking you'll lose your job?

D
Old 05-05-2018, 09:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i agree with Dee it have been devastating for me to lose my job because i have no purpose and losing it making feel such a lost i mean i always knew i was a loser but losing my job just cemented that so i was drinking way more. im still without i job it was my doing 2 months out of a job i got another one but was drinking too much and quit because i though they were going to fire me and i could not handle it.

get sober it will get better