Notices

First Post... 7 days sober

Old 05-05-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post... 7 days sober

First of all I just want to say I have been reading posts all week and you are an amazing helpful group of people! I have rarely read any unkind or discouraging words to anyone only hard truths.
I have been a closet functioning alcoholic going on 9 years that started in my mid 30’s after a devastating breakup after battling (and beating) cancer. Things got worse after the death of my mother over a year ago which found me rarely going a day without drinking. If I did it was only because my hangover was so bad. Many a wasted day off was spent on my couch with the blinds drawn even on beautiful sunny days. I had no ambition to clean my house or yard and things piled up and worsened my mood and outlook on life. I had 3 liquor stores I would frequent to fool the cashiers that I wasn’t there everyday... they were not fooled at all I am sure😏
Long story short this is the longest I have gone without drinking and it feels great! I have motivation, I am sleeping better and I finallly see through the “fog” to a future.
Today however is a little rough as I am craving a drink really bad. I can feel the bargaining thoughts coming into my head that maybe just today I can “reward” myself with a drink. I am fighting it and I will get outside and do some much needed yardwork and hope it passes. I never really settle until I know the liquor store is closed so I need to keep busy till 9! Anyway I just want to say you are a very supportive group of people and I look forward to sharing my journey with others. ONWARD AND UPWARD!
Old 05-05-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done Trala, 7 days is great keep up the good fight.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome Trala and congrats on getting to 7 days!! Why not join the Class of May? Great support here, lots of us are in our first week of sobriety and we can support each other to keep fighting the good fight

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html
Old 05-05-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SWB

Traps, 7 days here too and like yourself I’m having just an ever so slight craving. I play the tape ahead and finds that works usually. You can do it.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

7 days - how wonderful, Trala. I hope you stay around - it really helps to have the understanding of those who care. Welcome!
Old 05-05-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Trala ,.....

My early days were filled with those kind of " bargaining * thoughts also ,...but the times between when they occurred became greater and the intensity dropped as the weeks went by .

You never have to suffer another wasted day on the couch , ....that upside alone is huge ,..

How did the yardwork go today ?
Old 05-05-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great and nice to see you here. Good job on a week.

Have you thought about a plan? Dee always recommends them (I know there is a link somewhere, sorry - anyone?) AA is my path and there are plenty of others, but most of us with any amount of sobriety (I have 26 mo and change and consider myself a newbie) have a plan of action to support us.

Best to you.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Hang tough and take it one day at a time. I'm joining a local AA group Thursday and I think it's very important to have a support system. Plus you can make lifetime friends with people who are on your team.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Trala

here the plan link August mentioned

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D
Old 05-05-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Trala; very glad you found us.

Well done on 7 days.