Notices

Nitrous oxide addiction.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nitrous oxide addiction.

Help, my wife is using nitrous oxide for several hours every few days. She has depression & anxiety issues & is in therapy.
She tried going to an addiction group, lasted 3 sessions but she felt the other people in the group thought the nitrous oxide was funny. (insert laughing gas pun here)
She doesn't want to quit. She's miserable, I'm miserable.
The therapist & I feel inpatient rehab or depression treatment would be good for her but she wont go.
She has agreed to attend a AA or NA meeting so we're looking for a local one.
How do I keep my sanity?
Old 05-05-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Teeroy View Post
Help, my wife is using nitrous oxide for several hours every few days. She has depression & anxiety issues & is in therapy.
She tried going to an addiction group, lasted 3 sessions but she felt the other people in the group thought the nitrous oxide was funny. (insert laughing gas pun here)
She doesn't want to quit. She's miserable, I'm miserable.
The therapist & I feel inpatient rehab or depression treatment would be good for her but she wont go.
She has agreed to attend a AA or NA meeting so we're looking for a local one.
How do I keep my sanity?
I don't know much about this drug. I do know of an instance where the 21 yr old son of a friend had a part time job at a veterinary hospital. He was alone on the weekends, looking after the animals, walking them,. etc. He was on a full scholarship to a university studying to be a doctor. Anyway, apparently he got into the habit of using this drug recreationally. He used too much one day, and sadly died.

It's a dangerous drug. I wish I had something constructive to offer.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It’s got to be difficult to get.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplyFree View Post
It’s got to be difficult to get.
It's not..most auto performance stores sale it. I 'toyed' with it in high school and it's VERY dangerous! You can 'freeze' the vessels in your lungs.

Edit: Computer duster spray was the big thing in my HS,so they started locking it up and you had to be 18 to purchase it.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Whipped cream dispenser chargers. They're sold on Amazon & at your corner head shop. Cheap & legal, I'd post a picture but I don't have enough posts.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI teeroy - welcome

I remember this from when it first became a thing back in the 90s - it's no joke - it didn't do much for me and the headaches got too much.

I hope your wife will look for a local meeting. There must be forums and support on the web for things like this for her too.

Let her do the legwork - its best if we fix our own mess.

You need support understanding and encouragement as well, of course and you'll find that here Teeroy - both in this forum and in our Family and Friendly forums too

D
Old 05-06-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very easy to get and I knew 1 person from rehab, 10 years ago, that was addicted. He had other addictions as well but this is the one that got him. While it is not one of the more 'popular' addictions, it is a wicked one and very dangerous. It is ironic that a bunch of people, doing the crazy shlit that any addicts do, can find another addiction 'funny'. That right there shows a how nuts a group of us can be. I've been to meetings were only addicts that use a 'certain' drug can share. Very stupid. But there are lots of meetings out there, particularly NA, where people won't give a hoot what drug your wife does, just that she is there. Keep trying until you find the 'right' meeting.

If she cannot stop with the support of meetings then rehab is a good option. Maybe short term you can take away all her access to money. Cards etc. Don't know how that will go over but maybe she'd agree to that and the meetings. Does she know in brutal detail all the serious and potentially deadly consequences of habitual nitrous use?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

She knows the dangers and doesn't care, she asked me "why do you care if I harm myself?" I told her the answer but that didn't seem to matter. She has her own job, cash etc.
There is very little info about this available. One of the best things I found was an article by a writer for the Cracked website. He went into detail about his problems during his recovery.
She went to a meeting yesterday and afterwards said she's willing to go back. At the meeting she told them she was an addict and didn't want to change it. I guess there's hope...?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

She doesn't want to quit.

How do I keep my sanity?
These to me are the most relevant phrases in your initial post.

You can't change her. You didn't cause her addiction, you can't control it, and you can't cure her. She has to want to quit for herself. The desire for recovery has to be stronger than the desire to continue using, and it doesn't sound like she's anywhere near that point yet.

All you can do is take care of yourself, because being the loved one of an addict -- no matter the drug of choice -- is a tough road.

I recommend Al-Anon or Nar-Anon to help you learn coping strategies, as well as looking into the Friends & Family forum here on SR: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to my first Al-Anon meeting last night. They were nice, hopefully it will help.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear the meeting went well Teeroy, I am sure it will be helpful.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Rehab? I had friends in up-state NY whose only son died of that. It's very dangerous. He was an A student and was about to graduate from high school and his parents had no idea that he was doing it. It was terrible. He ODd at home in his room. She needs help! All drugs and alcohol are dangerous but there is an immediate life threatening situation here.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

I agree Icewater. My friend's son was also from upstate NY. Though a college student, an A student as well.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
Rehab? I had friends in up-state NY whose only son died of that. It's very dangerous. He was an A student and was about to graduate from high school and his parents had no idea that he was doing it. It was terrible. He ODd at home in his room. She needs help! All drugs and alcohol are dangerous but there is an immediate life threatening situation here.
She's refusing all attempts, we did get her to go to a NA meeting.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

She's refusing all attempts, we did get her to go to a NA meeting.
All you can do is let her go and focus on your wellbeing.