Notices

Alcohol and eating in recovery

Old 05-04-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and eating in recovery

This is a stupid question and maybe ought to be in the alcoholism forum but have any of you had trouble eating in recovery? Asides from detox when I have been incredibly sick for days and could not even keep water down I have no appetite. I take vitamins and supplements such as magnesium but just can hardly get a mouthful of food down even when friends (that have largely given up on me) take me out. Been to the doctor and prescribed ulcer and gastric meds but usually people eat and enjoy food. I think alcohol has burned my digestive tract! Just need some support here. I am not starving by any means and trying to be healthy.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't have that problem, but then I quit drinking as soon as I realized I was having gastric issues and/or subbing alcohol for food.

Are you losing weight unintentionally? For me, food is medicine so I make sure to hit my basic protein, fats and some carbs/vegetables every day and sometimes that also means cookies and ice cream.

Have you ever suffered from an eating disorder? Do you think it could be partly psychological?
Old 05-04-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I was bulimic as a teenager.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I see you were back on "day 1 again" only a few days ago,so I'd give it time. Took me about 30days to start eating 'normal' for me. I've never been a big eater anyways. Give it sober time. Right now you're trying to rush to 'normal'..that never works.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
Yes I was bulimic as a teenager.
Ah, well maybe it's time for a little counseling. (?)

When one addiction (coping tool) is removed, often another one pops up. If you used to be bulimic, that was a control/anxiety response. Makes sense that you have turned back to restricting.

I struggled back and forth between food and alcohol for a lot of years until I got better life tools. Have you considered any therapy or 12 Steps or read any books about better ways to deal with whatever is bothering you?

Moderate exercise and good nutrition will help you remain sober, too. It helps reset the hormonal balance and evens out moods.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had some pretty bad GI issues in the last days of my drinking as well. I didn't even really eat much, I drank many of my meals. I had horrible heartburn that kept me up ( when I wasn't passed out drunk ) and bad reflux to the point of spasms out of the blue sometimes. Other bad issues with things at the other end of GI tract too not worth repeating here.

Almost all of those issues got better after I was sober for a while and started eating better. You need to give it time though - it's not going to improve in just a matter of days after quitting unfortunately.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would hide food under a pile of library books and then...! Yes I pretty much have had every disorder other than being on drugs, bipolar or worse.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you ever had treatment for the eating disorder(s)?

I think maybe a lightbulb would go on if you figured out the root of this, because the alcohol and the food problems may be enmeshed.

Don't do like I did and go back and forth. There is a solution for both.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do go to AA and just called my therapist. I am a healthy weight I think but it's a struggle. Been hospitalized on IV fluids recently for being dehydrated as I could keep nothing down.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great Question,

I have trouble eating solid food for the first while so its soup and green juice and water. Further on in recovery, I have rice and other light food's but as I also have gastrointestinal issues I drink Kefir(probiotic) and aloe vera juice this helped restore my gut health along with leaving out the bad food.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol for sure completely fries your digestive tract. I couldn't eat normally for at least a couple weeks once it was stopped.
I would just keep it light and eat what you can until things level out.