Notices

PTSD/sepsis

Old 05-03-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PTSD/sepsis

Its been a number of years and I find myself struggling again. I had sepsis last year and nearly died. I had PTSD to begin with. Alcohol causes suppression of the adrenaline and its the only thing that has worked. they gave me meds in the hospital they did not work. Its apparently an after affect of sepsis. I just want to be able to sleep! and nothing works but to get drunk. I'm worried about my health.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back bubblehead. Alcohol is indeed a CNS depressant, but it's also bad for your health. I had a lot of sleep problems after I quit but drinking to cure insomnia is kind of like trying to put out a fire with gasoline - it's gonna make it worse. Have you ever considered seeing a counselor or therapist to try and find more healthy ways to help you overcome the PTSD and insomnia?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bubblhead
UI really urge you to keep trying to find another solution here., Work with your Drs.

Eventually the booze will stop working and trust me that place is not a good place to be.

By the end I had to be drinking enough to pass out...and I'd wake up an hour or two later with a start about 2 or 3 am and then that was it for me for the night.

There's another solution to your problem. There has to be

D
Old 05-04-2018, 12:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi there- see a doc
support to you
Old 05-04-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are meds that are safe, non addictive and effective. You do need to see a good doctor to find out what works for your situation. I feel your pain, sincerely! Been there. Still have trouble.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ps

I have severe PTSD. From two terrorist attacks that I survived in Israel (in my twenties and thirties), a horrible accident years later and what happened in a jail from hell when they canned me for DUI recently.But we need to sleep and get better. I can not post what exactly happened because it is too traumatic and not helpful to anyone. But one thing I know is that I don't want cross addiction (heavy pills) or trade alcohol addiction for another addiction. The right doctor ought to be able to put you on short term meds to get you over this hill and long therm safer meds. In due course you will not need them anymore. Perhaps counseling will be good but it is like a marriage, you have to find the right council. With all my best to you! Hope to hear a great recovery story soon!!! From you!