Notices

I guess there's never a good or right time

Old 05-03-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I guess there's never a good or right time

Im going through some very trying times. My oldest son is struggling with mental health and drug addiction. He is in the hospital and comes home on weekends.
Without getting too bogged down in his details it has been extremely steessful as of late.

I keep gavong the thought WOW and you chose to wuot drinking NOW with all this going on??? Really?

I have to talk myself down.

I have to remind myself that maybe this IS the best time. Not only for all of the obvious reasons on why i need to do this for myself but I need to set a better example for my son. How can I expect him to abstain when I myself am using a crutch when things get tough?

Life is awfully hard these days. Im struggling with the physical symptoms of stress and also with alcohol cravings.

Anyways my thoughts for today. Still here and still fighting, could use some gentle words. Thanks
Old 05-03-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are fighting the good fight Mandy. It's so much harder to do when we are drinking so i'm very glad you are not. And I agree that setting an example for you son is a great step forward. It's not a guarantee that he will follow it, but it's a lot better than the alternative.

Make sure you are taking time to take care of your own basic needs too - rest, good food, maybe a few minutes to relax and take a walk now and then too.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay sober, no matter what! It gets better, and easier, the longer you stay sober.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

not drinking is the BEST gift you can give to yourself and to your son. we don't do the right thing because it's easy. we do it because it's the right thing!

make sure to get some down time, naps, rest. while i'm not suggesting eating non-stop, do make sure to get in good food on a regular basis....don't skip meals. you are now in the process of putting good FUEL into your body!!

up your support program, even when you don't wanna. especially when you don't wanna!!!
Old 05-03-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I keep going the thought WOW and you chose to quit drinking NOW with all this going on??? Really?

and with everything going on drinking would help how?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mandy I feel for you and can relate to what you're saying. I too have a son with mental health, drug and alcohol problems and it's very stressful at the moment. However, despite the obvious temptations, it's a lot easier to deal with sober and not hungover. Your son is a big part of your life but not all of it so remember to spend some time on yourself! And you're doing yourself and him a lot of good by staying sober so well done and keep it up.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done Mandy your doing brilliant
Sorry to hear about your son
Hopefully things will get better
The best thing you can do pet is stay sober for you both
Keep rocking
Keep posting
Caralara ❤
Old 05-03-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Life is hard and sounds like your plate is overflowing. Sorry to hear.

On the other hand you have to know, as I'm sure you do, that your son deserves not to have a drunken mom.

I say that as a parent who has drank for most of my kid's life.

Stay sober for him.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I keep going the thought WOW and you chose to quit drinking NOW with all this going on??? Really?

and with everything going on drinking would help how?
I guess that's exactly my point, it won't. I know it, my AV would like to convince me otherwise. It was used in the past for temporary relief of anxiety and stress, and it did a good job of that but only temporarily and when those feelings returned they were worse combined with hangover.

As long as I keep those intrusive thoughts as just that..thoughts
Old 05-03-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Mandy I feel for you and can relate to what you're saying. I too have a son with mental health, drug and alcohol problems and it's very stressful at the moment. However, despite the obvious temptations, it's a lot easier to deal with sober and not hungover. Your son is a big part of your life but not all of it so remember to spend some time on yourself! And you're doing yourself and him a lot of good by staying sober so well done and keep it up.
Ty it really does help to know I'm not the only parent in this situation here, I appreciate you sharing that with me so much. You are right, feeling stress or feeling stress + hangover? Drinking won't help, trying to find new ways to cope!

Last edited by Mandy73; 05-03-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Sorry re-read ...I assumed you were a Mom you could be a Dad lol
Old 05-03-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mandy you're doing GREAT! Keep at it. Have a clear, sober mind to deal with what life throws at you. Big hugs. ❤❤❤
Old 05-03-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like the old proverb say the best tome to plant a tree is 2- years ago the second best time is today

I'm sorry for all you have going on Mandy but I absolutely agree that sober is the only way to deal with stuff like this

we're with you

D
Old 05-03-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ty everyone for your kindness I know everyone has their own stuff and battles they go through I'm very grateful for this group.