Notices

Day 1

Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

So

I made a post last night asking if I was an alcoholic and someone suggested going to a bar and drinking one or two then stopping.

so I went to the pub and spent my last two pounds on a pint of lager. If I had more money I probably would have had four or five.

I woke up this morning dreaming about alcohol and intense cravings, so me and alcohol are done.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read your post - no one suggested that.

Pretending that they did, a stranger on the internet making a suggestion would result in you throwing away 10 days of sobriety?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I didn't see anyone suggest that either.

Who cares about the label?

If you want to quit, quit. If you want to drink - you'll find any excuse, right?

I had to be DONE. Capital D. No more experimenting, no more, "just this one," or, "just this one time," no more excuses and rationalizing. Pretty simple. I don't touch alcohol to my lips.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Guys,
To be fair - Gottalife suggested that in the ‘10 days’ thread on 5/1. It’s from the Big Book suggesting that if you have doubts you try controlled drinking.

Schizodoc, good for you that you’re done now. Do you have a plan in place to make sure that you’re able to follow through?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac4711 View Post
Guys,
To be fair - Gottalife suggested that in the ‘10 days’ thread on 5/1. It’s from the Big Book suggesting that if you have doubts you try controlled drinking.

Schizodoc, good for you that you’re done now. Do you have a plan in place to make sure that you’re able to follow through?
Got it - seemed so strange.

Does that book really "recommend" that? Jesus.

Schiz - welcome again. How are you doing now?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you came back Schizo. I see 13 replies to your post last night. 12 of them pretty strongly suggested or flat out said that yes, you are an alcoholic. The 13th recounted an experience a user had and reaffirmed that it was a bad experience. No where did anyone directly "suggest" to you that you should go try drinking. Your AV/Addiction definitely did though.

Having said all that, I believe you have your answer now, which is what's most important - correct?
Old 05-03-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its not my favourite part of the BB but in the pre internet pre TV pre smart phone pre multi recovery choices context in which it was written it makes a kind of sense.

I'd contend - and I have said it before - that anyone who's been looking for and found SR has very likely already tried that test and many others.

I hope that you can make some good from it and draw a line under you and alcohol Schizodoc.

I reckon thats the outcome the writers wanted

D
Old 05-04-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 2. Just been paid and didn't drink. Thanks for all of the support
Old 05-04-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

[QUOTE=Mac4711;6883865]Guys,

I decided to follow an idea I found in the AA Big Book. It says if you dont think you are alcoholic, step over to the nearest bar and try controlled drinking. Have a couple and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. If you are honest with yourself you will soon know the answer.

Good for you - You're done now and that's what counts.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today Schizodoc ?

Old 05-05-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
how are you today Schizodoc ?

still sober. I managed to pay off some debt this month because I'm not saving for drink. Just started clozapine which is already starting to work and have come to realise I was self medicating with alcohol.