Notices

Day 7

Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7

This is genuinely the longest I've been without a drink since I started drinking in my late teens. I'm now 35.

I may have had a bad case of flu about 10 years when I didn't drink for around 7 days or so but that notwithstanding, I feel chuffed and proud.

Not only that, I made a real breakthrough last night. I went out on a date, I drive up to central London, which driving an hour into London normally would have given me immense anxiety that I would have had a drink. I then went into a bar surrounded by people drinking, I bought my date a glass of wine and I had a lime soda. Sat there for 3 hours. At first I must admit I had anxiety, I was like 'what am I doing here', 'This is crazy' 'maybe I should just have one drink. But I said no. I no longer drink. It's poison.

After about 20 minutes in the bar I felt good. Relaxed, it was great to have a date sober (on my side anyway). When I got home I was genuinely chuffed. Felt I'd passed a big test. As the days go by my alcohol induced anxiety is reducing. I can feel it receding. Im generally quite an anxious person anyway but alcohol made that anxiety debilitating when actually now I realise I can deal with it without relying on alcohol.

Anyway just thought I'd share.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on the first of MANY weeks!
Old 05-03-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Well done for sticking with it!

And on a side note it's always nice to find another person who uses the word "chuffed". I hope you get to use that word more often
Old 05-03-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome to read that. I am on my first week and it's inspiring to see you coping with a social situation without alcohol like that. Keep on going!
Old 05-03-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week primativo

I could not have gone up to town and had a date in my first week - I avoided alcohol entirely for a while an I think thats one of the main reasons I'm still here and sober.

don't hesitate to be gentle with yourself for a while

D