Notices

This time I want recovery

Old 05-01-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This time I want recovery

I have struggled with alcoholism my whole adult life. I have been vomiting nearly everyday making bad decisions and sufferring severe anxiety the morning after the night before. It's always been a vicious circle of getting drunk bad hangover sober for a day or two and then back to drinking. I am desperate to overcome this.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I got sober cause I was sick and tired of always being sick and tired. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a lot of support here. Feeling sick every day — physically, spiritually, emotionally — is no way to live your life. Make today your first day of doing better by yourself: don’t drink. It really is as simple in the end as it sounds. All my very best to you: I’m rooting for you and so is every single other person here. Use our support to help yourself; use our support to do the right thing by yourself.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I hope so too. I will need support.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you're here.

Have you thought about what you will do to get and stay sober? Have you stopped drinking? After doing that, most of found that life changes were crucial to making sobriety then recovery stick.

Best to you.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome HigherCall

SR is an amazing community. I became an all day everyday drinker and had been for several years. The advice, support and understanding here helped me turn my life around.

I know we can help you too

Have you any ideas on how you might stay sober? any plan?

D
Old 05-01-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
Your post described me to a t.
Drink. Suffer the fear and remorse and anxiety. Wait three days ad do it all again.
I lived that way for twenty years. Despite my best effort's to quit. Solemn oaths, swearing it off. Dumping it out. Coming here. Going to AA.
Alcohol always won. I am an alcoholic and could not control my drinking.

It is possible to quit. This seemingly hopeless drunk has been sober for over nine years now.
What it took, for me, was never giving up trying.
Coming here made sense to me. AA made sense to me. Here were people like myself-trying to solve our common with drink.
I went back to AA and opened my ears and looked for the similarities, and there were many.
The folks here helped. We had one common problem, and that group mentality is very important to me.

I hope you find help, and hope, here. Maybe try AA? At this point, if you've sunk as low as I did, what have you got to lose?

Best to you my friend. I'm with you. I've been there. I know what it's like.
You are not alone.
Best to you and I hope you stick around.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-01-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
Thanks for the reply. I hope so too. I will need support.
The support is here. And do what August suggests: draw yourself up a plan of what you’re going to do differently and how. It’ll make it all much less overwhelming and it’ll give you some structure, accountability and encouragement. I don’t do AA — I may yet; I feel I need a real-life sober community now — but I have had other goals and waypoints in place, and other sources of support, and these have made all the difference in me staying sober. Please set yourself up with something similar. And, for you, I’d like to suggest getting in some good nutrition and some hydration as a priority; constant sickness is very debilitating.

Keep posting, you can do this.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will always find lots of support here.

Getting out of the vicious cycle is tough, but you can do it. It's good to have a recovery plan in mind to help you get through the days and weeks to come.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, Highercall. The encouragement here is wonderful - it helped me get free. You can do it! Posting helps with the anxiety. We all understand what you're going through.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 1 proper no sleep

This is day 1 proper for me. Drawing up a plan sounds good. Allcohollism is a vicious disease. I often find total loss of control doing something I regretted feeling the fear and the anxiety has led me to do what I did this time last night which was to throw my booze down the sink and get on my knees and pray to god to grant me recovery. I have not been sober for more than 3 days for a long time. As soon as the anxiety wears off the drink seduces me again I start thinking about it and end up drinking. I have been sober many months before and then have had a bad day started ranting and then ended up drinking and it has taken years to get sober again.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

wanting recovery is key......that means you are willing to reach towards a better way of life. welcome. you are on a magnificent journey!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

last time I had a period of sobriety I drank a lot of alcohol free beer. Should I go for that again?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

if I went to a shop bought some food ate it and then became physically sick lost all my money have to take time off work because it made me so unwell I would never buy it again. Keeping on drinking despite negative consequence why have we all done it?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Most people here don't like the alcohol free beer/wine. It seems to lead some people back to the real thing. As for me, I drank to get drunk, not for the taste.