Notices

PAWS Related depression

Old 05-01-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS Related depression

I have been dealing with PAWS for 2 years 3 months. While I'm proud of myself for making it two years, and things are much better than in the beginning, I still have symptoms that will take who knows how long to improve. One of them being depression. I get so depressed some days it's crippling, and I tried the SSRI Zoloft and it helped but it made it harder to sleep/exhausted during the day. Does anyone have any tips? I know the best thing is just more time, time and patience are the greatest warriors, but some days it's hard and I have suicidal thoughts occasionally. Not that I would act on them. It's just that life is extremely bleak. I would appreciate any tips from anyone that's gone through this.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Thompson

the best tips I know of about PAWs are in this article:
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

The length of time tho makes me think something else might be going on.

over two years is a long time to suffer with anything, especially if it brings you to the point of suicidal ideations.

Apart from the Zoloft has your Dr/Therapist suggested anything?

D
Old 05-01-2018, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

HI Thompson. I'm so sorry you're depressed. 2 years is too long! Years ago I tried many anti-depressants. In my case, the cure was worse than the disease. I may try them again.

Anyway, as my doctor was moving me from one med to another, he said that anti-depressants are like trying on shoes, "Not all pairs fit correctly on you." So, my advice is similar to Dee's. Go back to your Dr.. He may prescribe another med or add something to it.

Congratulations on your sobriety.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

This could be clinical depression and could have nothing to do with PAWS.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

The length of time tho makes me think something else might be going on.

over two years is a long time to suffer with anything, especially if it brings you to the point of suicidal ideations.

Apart from the Zoloft has your Dr/Therapist suggested anything?

D
Thank you for the article. I think it is PAWS, yes two years is a long time, yet I've talked to people who have gone through it for years and hear about others who have a been sober for years and still have flashbacks of PAWS. I do know it has gotten better since I am able to do more activities like travel more and perform in piano recitals that would have given me anxiety attacks one year back.... doing the things I like to do again. But I'm not back to my old self, can't do everything. I think it depends on the body, everyone is different. I don't have a therapist anymore since he retired in January 2018, but he always suggested I stay away from sugar and chocolate since I crash and not doing too much--that's what seems to make my symptoms and depression worse esp when I can't do everything I used to do, try to, and then get burned out...
Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
HI Thompson. I'm so sorry you're depressed. 2 years is too long! Years ago I tried many anti-depressants. In my case, the cure was worse than the disease. I may try them again.

Anyway, as my doctor was moving me from one med to another, he said that anti-depressants are like trying on shoes, "Not all pairs fit correctly on you." So, my advice is similar to Dee's. Go back to your Dr.. He may prescribe another med or add something to it.

Congratulations on your sobriety.
Thank you two years is something I'm quite proud of. I think I will do that. I'm afraid to honestly i had intense side effects from Zoloft but I did feel happy....happy but uncomfortable. I wonder if my body needs to adjust more before I introduce an SSRI to my system.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have to add two years is a long time but the first year I covered my symptoms best I could with caffeine and sugar. Maybe that held me back on getting my body reset back to normal, since when the rush wears off from I feel worse...now I avoid caffeine and minimize simple sugars.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings? I only ask because you say you've talked to a lot of people in recovery.

My personal belief is that we believe what we tell ourselves. If that script that is running in my head tells me I can't do it, I'm doomed, life is bleak, I'm lonely, I'm old, I'm depressed, I don't have _ _ _ _ _ _ - then I start to go down the dark and sad paths and created a bad habit of thinking negatively.

If I focus on gratitude and the abundance in my life I begin to see everything differently. Not comparing myself to others but just the regular abundance: like I have food for today, a warm place to sleep, hot running water, medical insurance, a cat, enough clothes, etc.

I look out the window and see the glory of this planet. The plants and animals, the sky.

I don't believe life is bleak, although some people tend to tell me I need to do XXXXXX in order to be happy.

I just don't listen. That's happiness according to them.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you have not, I would suggest seeing a Therapist or Counselor. Psych meds mainly just treat the symptoms of things like depression and anxiety, not the core cause.

PAWS is not a medically or psychologically diagnoseable condition - so while it's certainly something that seems to be common with addicts, it should not preclude you from seeking professional help for your depression. Too many times PAWS is used as a scapegoat for real/explainable issues both physical and psychological.

I would add that while I did not deal with depression, I dealt with ( and was eventually diagnosed with ) Anxiety for literally years after quitting. It was cyclical and I also at one point thought it might be "PAWS" or something like it. But I finally decided to get some help, and turns out I had GAD. And I found that there are a whole host of non-drug related tools that can make it a very livable condition.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

See a therapist and/or a psychiatrist. Two years is an awful long time to have PAWS. Sounds like you have clinical depression, as someone noted above.

There are drugs that can help with PAWS. I am on Campral. It gets great reviews. I have just never given it enough time to work. We’ll see. But again, go see a doc.

Look up Campral, btw.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a rough time with PAWS too, but there came a point where I had to accept that my brain had “reset” as much it was going to. I had to accept that I didn’t come out the other side of alcoholism with quite the same brain that I went into it with. This included the way I experienced emotions.

If you’re still having depressive symptoms severe enough to cause suicidal ideation more than 2 years down the line, then I would say it doesn’t really matter what you ascribe it to, whether it's “PAWS” or something else. The thing is to do something about it. That would include revisiting the idea of medication, as well as taking action to fight the depressive symptoms on your own with diet, exercise, meditation, therapy, etc. — whatever it takes. As Scott said, don’t let your self-diagnosis of PAWS give you an excuse to wait passively for things to improve on their own.

Congrats on 2+ years, and I hope things improve for you soon!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
See a therapist and/or a psychiatrist. Two years is an awful long time to have PAWS. Sounds like you have clinical depression, as someone noted above.

There are drugs that can help with PAWS. I am on Campral. It gets great reviews. I have just never given it enough time to work. We’ll see. But again, go see a doc.

Look up Campral, btw.
So far as I am aware, Campral is used only to reduce cravings for alcohol, and has nothing to do with treating withdrawal, whether acute or post-acute. As Scott pointed out, PAWS isn't even really a diagnosable condition -- it's just a way of referring to various withdrawal-like symptoms that persist or recur beyond the typical period for acute withdrawal.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
So far as I am aware, Campral is used only to reduce cravings for alcohol, and has nothing to do with treating withdrawal, whether acute or post-acute. As Scott pointed out, PAWS isn't even really a diagnosable condition -- it's just a way of referring to various withdrawal-like symptoms that persist or recur beyond the typical period for acute withdrawal.
Andante is correct here. There are no drugs that can specifically "treat" PAWS because it cannot be diagnosed to treat in the first place. It is a term that was coined by an individual from the recovery community. There is certainly anecdotal evidence to suggest that some recovering addicts experience a wide range of symptoms that non-addicts do not.

A reminder too that direct medical advice for specific drugs/conditions is not allowed in the public forums.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
I had a rough time with PAWS too, but there came a point where I had to accept that my brain had “reset” as much it was going to. I had to accept that I didn’t come out the other side of alcoholism with quite the same brain that I went into it with. This included the way I experienced emotions.

If you’re still having depressive symptoms severe enough to cause suicidal ideation more than 2 years down the line, then I would say it doesn’t really matter what you ascribe it to, whether it's “PAWS” or something else. The thing is to do something about it. That would include revisiting the idea of medication, as well as taking action to fight the depressive symptoms on your own with diet, exercise, meditation, therapy, etc. — whatever it takes. As Scott said, don’t let your self-diagnosis of PAWS give you an excuse to wait passively for things to improve on their own.

Congrats on 2+ years, and I hope things improve for you soon!
Thank you, Andante. 2 years feels like a big accomplishment esp battling PAWS. How I did it I don't know, things are a lot better than the hellish first year which honestly I don't know how I got through. Yet every now and then BAM depression hits like a punch in the gut and I feel awful, like the emotions are too intense to go through life and pretend things are okay. I hope things improve and I'm sure they will or I will just adapt... I read something somewhere that recovery is like a growing child. When it's your own kid it grows slowly but other people's kids seem to grow up so fast; in analogy my own recovery seems to be more gradual than others I don't notice improvements at all and get hopeless and depressed. Maybe i do have clinical depression and i just am just not addressing it correctly.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
If you have not, I would suggest seeing a Therapist or Counselor. Psych meds mainly just treat the symptoms of things like depression and anxiety, not the core cause.

PAWS is not a medically or psychologically diagnoseable condition - so while it's certainly something that seems to be common with addicts, it should not preclude you from seeking professional help for your depression. Too many times PAWS is used as a scapegoat for real/explainable issues both physical and psychological.

I would add that while I did not deal with depression, I dealt with ( and was eventually diagnosed with ) Anxiety for literally years after quitting. It was cyclical and I also at one point thought it might be "PAWS" or something like it. But I finally decided to get some help, and turns out I had GAD. And I found that there are a whole host of non-drug related tools that can make it a very livable condition.
Thank you. I hope I can find a similar way to get help. Paws is getting less and less intense so I do wonder if depression really is a symptom or has other causes.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Are you going to AA meetings? I only ask because you say you've talked to a lot of people in recovery.
No, just talking to people online.