Notices

I found AA to be quite interesting.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I found AA to be quite interesting.

Hi everyone, I just got back from my AA session, I was wrong to doubt it. What surprised me was how similar it was to the SR community, easy going non judgmental people.

I had my say, and i let out some details.

Iam not much of a "social mingler" so at end I said bye and got out of there.

I Did notice that alot of new timers had the same look of hopelessness, lossness and concern in their eyes, the old timers looked happier then the new folks that's for sure.

Did I get a huge impact out of it? Well it has distracted me from drinking today. 'so that's big enough. But iam that uptight atm that not much is unwinding me down. Iam not looking forward to tomorrows anxiety. At least I'll have 8 hours of sleep peace.

My mother had said to me today that iam a glutton for punishment, I don't like it if things are calm, I have to have emotional distress in my life and I have to cause it, she said I need to re route this pathway to get finally get some happiness.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your mother sounds very wise in this case.

A lot of us get just as "addicted" to the drama and chaos. We're so on-edge that it becomes a way of life. Oh, and an excuse for a drink, by the way.

Sobriety lets things settle down.

I hope you keep going to meetings and absorb some of that long-timers' happiness. In time that will be you, too.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholism - The disease of big deals.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As we AA ers say- keep coming back! There is a lot of things to see and learn that will get you on a solid road to recovery. Best to you.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I first went, it was nice to see people with years of sobriety.

I remember seeing someone who was celebrating 90 days at one of my first meetings. I was thinking, 'no way...how is that even possible!?'
Old 04-30-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Renvate View Post
What surprised me was how similar it was to the SR community, easy going non judgmental people.
Glad you had a good experience. I would say that just about every recovery community is filled with easy going/non judgmental people whether it's SR, AA, or any other. Our addiction likes to keep us in a box and fear seeking help because of how the others we may meet might act towards us. But when you get out there into the "real world" you find that most people are pretty much just like us ;-)
Old 04-30-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was welcomed warmly at my first AA meeting. It helped to put me at ease that a neighbor and her friend took me, both were in AA.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

12 Step was huge to me in early recovery. Keep working it. I was a raw nerve for the first 120 days or so. Meetings were the best distraction from free time which would have been all to easy to start to fill with drinking!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience is that people who have faced addiction and recovery are likely to be non-judgemental because of what they have gone through. I'm glad that you had a good experience at your meeting.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

I heard some pretty eye opening sad stories last night. Some of the things people are going through is pretty tough. Interestingly enough, Most mentioned the reason they drink is due to emotional instability, something just isn't clicking correctly in their heads.

The way my life has been going I could agree with that.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Renvate, i encourage you ti pick up a copy of the big book( best if not used as a coaster,too. )
you should be able to pick up a copy at a meeting.
you can also read it on line with a search for "big book online."

it still amazes me that a book published 28 years before i was born described me pretty good.
pretty good solution,too!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep coming back. The longer you stay sober the better life gets! Let the miracle happen.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you had a good experience at the meeting.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just making steps like walking into the rooms of AA are so often ignored, yet open so many doors. Great work!