This Changing Role of "Parent."

Old 04-28-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Cool This Changing Role of "Parent."

I have never known greater pain than being a parent of an addict son. I have never been more challenged mentally, physically or spiritually, not even when experiencing the collapse of my marriage to someone I deeply loved!!!

A child is a different entity because not only are they actually from our body, but they literally could never have existed if we as parents did not nurture, protect, love, and care for them. We were once responsible for teaching them almost everything! We were told we had the greatest influence on them, so I know I thrived in my role to show my child the way of life. I LOVED being a parent and nurturing!
There will always come a time when our children will make bad decisions and we as parents and family are supposed to speak up and show them how to “Right the Wrong.”
It doesn't matter how old they are. They are still our child.
That is our job! Right?

….Until it isn't.

Because when our child is an addict and addiction is their illness: The Rules Change!
I know I fought this change. I still do!
When I first began to deny/ignore/fight this change is where my baffling, crazy-making behavior began.

I tried to use the old rules to solve this new problem.
I am new to my own recovery ( Nar-Anon/AlAnon etc.) so I do not claim to have answers or to have this process down. I am a work in progress.
I too know this struggle and fight it daily. The mental fights are a constant battle of what is helping and what is actually hurting. I have to constantly assess before I act or speak. It can be exhausting.
And yet, lately, this realization has also been my biggest “Ah Ha” moment.
I have come to realize that the rules of parenting change when your child is an addict.
So I am trying to learn the new rules.
I go to meetings and read here on SL, and listen to other parents whose children are in recovery, or not, and see the focus has shifted to us. I learn techniques of detaching with love etc.. I am learning that the parenting techniques that worked when they were sober such as Giving good advice, long heart-to-heart talks, punishment/rewards, do not always have the same effect as they did when my child was sober.
I HAVE to accept that: I cannot fix this, I cannot Control this, and I cannot Change this! That is a tall-task of change for a parent well versed in the old rules.

I have learned that even during the “Old Rules” days, I probably enabled some then too.
Sometimes I will hear/read things that rub me wrong. But I also know the saying, " Take what you need and leave the rest.” Yet, sometimes later, when I have come back and reread a post I have realized the reason it rubbed me the wrong way was because I wasn't ready to hear it. And that is okay too.
My own recovery is not supposed to be another place to beat myself up for doing one more wrong thing! I can only, "Do what I can do," for that day, sometimes for that hour, or even that minute, to work on my own recovery to sanity and serenity.
Today I am working on understanding that the New Rules take time to become the new normal.
I am thankful for the support I have found here!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Very well written, cece. As a parent who has gone through losing my son to addiction, I "get" every word you are saying.

As the parent of an addict, all the old rules go upside down, as does our world.

I too had to learn to not enable...which meant to not help my so when he cried and felt that he needed help most. "Not helping" was the best way to "help" and that would only make sense to the parent of an addict.

Your son is in my prayers, I am walking with you all the way here.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Thank You, Ann,

Tonight I have been brought to my knees asking my God, My Higher Power to heal me. For tonight, I can only see my son as my small child, not the Angry, Lost, Adult Addict he has become. Luckily, no phone calls, because that would not have been good. So I have really needed some healing. Having you say you are walking with me brought me such comfort and a little moment of Peace.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Asking for healing and then getting no call is no coincidence, I think. God is at work in your life...and also in your son's although it may be hard to see.

Every morning I give my son's care to God and then live my day in faith that He will. Sometimes it is deep faith, sometimes it is blind faith, sometimes I just roll with it knowing that God's plan is bigger than me.

I'm never alone, you're never alone. As long as we all have each other to help us along on our journey, there will be comfort and courage and light.

Hugs