Notices

Swollen stomach

Old 04-27-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Swollen stomach

Hey guys,
I’m only 9 days sober but I had been drinking extremely heavily for the past 2 years. I had a question... most of my withdrawal symptoms are gone or have dwindled down significantly except my stomach seems to be getting more swollen and bloated every day. I’ve never seen it this big. I eat healthy foods when I’m hungry but I haven’t had much of an appetite so I know it’s not weight gain from food. I drink probably at least a gallon of water a day and that’s the only liquid I drink. Is this normal? I have noticed my face looks better.. less bloated and clearer skin. I thought for sure by now the swelling in my stomach would be shrinking as well. Anyways, if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated. Thank you! Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 04-27-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dearsobriety View Post
Hey guys,
I’m only 9 days sober but I had been drinking extremely heavily for the past 2 years. I had a question... most of my withdrawal symptoms are gone or have dwindled down significantly except my stomach seems to be getting more swollen and bloated every day. I’ve never seen it this big. I eat healthy foods when I’m hungry but I haven’t had much of an appetite so I know it’s not weight gain from food. I drink probably at least a gallon of water a day and that’s the only liquid I drink. Is this normal? I have noticed my face looks better.. less bloated and clearer skin. I thought for sure by now the swelling in my stomach would be shrinking as well. Anyways, if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated. Thank you! Hope everyone is having a good day!
Dearsobriety, my swollen belly was the last of my physical symptoms to improve.

My swelling was not too prominent, though.

You are only 9 days sober (which, in the total scheme of things, is still very early times) and it may take some more time.

We cannot give medical advice here. You need to be the best advocate for, and ally with, your body and health.

HOWEVER, while the liver is a highly resilient organ, I would strongly suggest a visit with your GP or a visit to the ER to discuss your concerns. Your fears may be allayed. If there is a problem, it is likely important that it be treated in a timely fashion.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you're concerned see a Doctor..took around 30-60days for me to get back to my handsome self. My 'beach body' isn't exactly what I want it to be after a year.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Dearsobriety, my swollen belly was the last of my physical symptoms to improve.

My swelling was not too prominent, though.

You are only 9 days sober (which, in the total scheme of things, is still very early times) and it may take some more time.

We cannot give medical advice here. You need to be the best advocate for, and ally with, your body and health.

HOWEVER, while the liver is a highly resilient organ, I would strongly suggest a visit with your GP or a visit to the ER to discuss your concerns. Your fears may be allayed. If there is a problem, it is likely important that it be treated in a timely fashion.
Thank you, SoberLeigh. I appreciate your feedback. I go to see my doctor again next week. I know I’m still very early on in the process. I just have never detoxed before so I didn’t know if this is just all part of the struggle. Everyday is different. Some days I feel great and the next day, I’m down and out. But it’s mostly just from the stomach pain. All other withdrawal symptoms have significantly declined. Thanks again for responding.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
If you're concerned see a Doctor..took around 30-60days for me to get back to my handsome self. My 'beach body' isn't exactly what I want it to be after a year.
Thank you. Good to know I’m not alone. I am seeing my doctor next week so I’ll ask him about it. Thanks for the response!
Old 04-27-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad that you are seeing your doctor next week, dearsobriety.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The digestive system can take one heck of a beating while pouring massive amounts of alcohol down our throat for a period of time.

I'm at 7 weeks and just barely getting back to normal movements.

As others mentioned, if it's something that concerns you, you may want to schedule a visit with a GP.

Congrats on 9 days!! Keep it up!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you may have mentioned the same concern in your post from a few days ago. I'm really glad you're seeing your doctor, it's great to seek possible answers even as you're working through some of the things that crop up in early sobriety (and unfortunately take time to go away).
Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing your Dr too - always good for peace of mind

D
Old 04-27-2018, 11:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The bloat in my stomach seems to get a little worse in the first five days or so of sobriety normally - then it abates.

Just my experience,
Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses! It puts me a little more at ease to know I’m not alone. I love all of the wonderful support I get from this group. You all are amazing!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm at day 2 here and my swollen stomach is really bloated. I feel sick and bloated actually as soon as I eat small amounts.

The doctors examined my stomach and no pain so I think I'm fine.

My stomach was actually less bloated when I drank wine. It seems to be something which gets worse initially when we stop drinking.