Notices

Binge drinking at 25 weeks pregnant

Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking at 25 weeks pregnant

I posted this same post under alcoholism earlier but I’m posting it here as well in hopes I can talk to a few more people- I’m alone with my thoughts feeling scared.
Sorry if you’re seeing this for a second time..

I’ve had a problem with alcohol for about 5 years. I found out I was 7 weeks pregnant in December. For the first couple of months I obstained from alcohol but in the last few months I have slipped a couple times and had 4-5 glasses of wine on one occasion.
I feel terrible, like I want to die. I have so much guilt it’s hard to look my husband in the eye.
He doesn’t know but if he ever found out he would leave me. He knows I’ve had a problem and left me in the past but came back to work on things when we found out I was pregnant.

Yesterday I drank while he was at work and I feel disgusting. I just keep praying and hope my baby is ok. I feel terrible.

As of now all of his ultrasounds and my blood work has come back normal but I’m so afraid I’ve caused new damage.

Does anyone have any advise/ stories?
I’m desperate.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi E1234 - welcome

I'm a man so no experience to share, but I really do encourage you to see your Dr ASAP - be honest, get yourself and bubs to be checked out...maybe your Dr will have some suggestions for you to help you stay sober.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel your pain.
When i found out I was pregnant, do you know what the first thing I did was? I had a glass of red wine. I "justified" it by saying to myself well I only did a pregnancy test as the Dr suggested it and I would not have actually known right now that I would be pregnant and would have drank anyway....
The shame. But I was an alcoholic who didnt know I was an alcoholic I only knew I could not function without alcohol.
I didn't drink a lot during my pregnancy but there were at least 2 occasions where I drank a few glasses of wine. My daughter is nearly 6 . She is amazing and has not been damaged by it.
My advice to you is STOP NOW!
Get to AA.
Use your time now to do everything you can to quit.
Learn all your new tools to cope without alcohol NOW!
I wish I had. I wish I had gone into AA when I was pregnant. M daughter is nearly 6 and I have just nearly killed myself with my latest binge. It ends for me NOW. but don't let that be you... you are posting here. You know you have a problem. Please do something now.
Wishing you all the best.
Please pm me if you feel you need to talk.
Lots of love x x
Old 04-26-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Hi.
Im a man so cant say i have experience either but it does sound desperate and please please get help and dump all the poison.

Im a dad of a girl of 5 years and I am an alcoholic.
Get on the sober road now and give your child a wonderful life.

V.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello....
While pregnant with both my children I drank intermittently...( not benders)
But a few glasses of wine.
& like yourself was utterly terrified of what I'd done.
On my five month scan my little girl,was showing small for
Dates.
This was the moment in time that I knew I had to stop.
I'd read about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome....in fact I couldn't stop googling it...& giving myself sleepless nights...
Pregnancy shouldn't be like that ...
Stop now...yes it's hard..but try & give yourself other little treats to take the edge
Off how ur feeling.
And yes go to your Doctor ...or speak to ur mid wife she will be understanding.
My daughter has turned in a beautiful young lady... i thank god I stopped when I did.
Big Hugs ..you really can get through this xxxx
Old 04-27-2018, 02:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, I’m so pleased you are seeking out support here.

I didn’t drink when I was pregnant but my full-blown alcoholism hadn’t kicked in at that stage and I was able quit drinking and smoking together for those times. Had I been pregnant in my mid-30s, I’m not sure what I’d have done.

However, I have worked all my life with children who’ve been damaged by FAS, foetal alcohol syndrome, and I know only too well the affects that heavy and sustained drinking can have. You are not at that stage (yet), but you have to quit right here and now before you slide into it. As we alcoholics know, we can justify the odd drink here and there, but having 4-5 glasses of wine is a new level, and I fear you will only slip further without help.

Please go and speak to your Doctor, seek out an AA meeting and find another lady to talk to you. Worrying about what your husband will say should be less of a concern than damaging your baby.

My alcoholism started when my kids were little and I drank most of their childhoods away. Even if your baby is physically unaffected, think of the gift you are giving to him/her of being sober and present throughout their life.

Having a baby and watching them grow into adulthood is truly one of life’s miracles, don’t miss a minute of it.

I will be thinking of you, and keep in touch ❤️
Old 04-27-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello:

I am so glad that you have reached out! You are not alone and you are not the first or last woman that has gone through this. Prayers and hope will do NOTHING for you and your baby, only action. Start hanging out here, read a lot and build a plan.

Looking back will only be helpful as a reminder and a lesson but NOW is the time (look at my name!!!) for change.

Again, you are NOT alone! We are with you.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too

Hi

Just found your post through my daily Google search of alcohol in pregnancy. I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant and also still drinking. I only drank once a week (around 2 drinks) in my first trimester but have been worse in second, one or two drinks most days. I've managed to resist bingeing but I havent been able to resist that one I need to ease my anxiety issues. I am in AA but haven't found it helpful yet, keeping at it though. I am also having private alcohol counselling which is how I managed to cut down from more like 2 bottles of wine a day before I was pregnant to one or two glasses a week in my 1st trimester but it is creeping up again just want you to know that you are not alone and it is so hard. Addiction is an illness and we can't just "turn it off" when we discover we are pregnant. As a group we (alcoholics in pregnancy) are very misunderstood sadly.

Take care and feel free to contact me if you want x
Old 04-27-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Pumpkin

D
Old 04-27-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

"As of now all of his ultrasounds and my blood work has come back normal but I’m so afraid I’ve caused new damage."

Doctors can't diagnose Fetal Alcohol Syndrome before a baby is born.

But, your dr can help you get through the rest of your pregnancy without drinking. Please talk to your dr for the sake of your baby.

I hope you check out the information we have on FAS:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pregnancy.html
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, it breaks my heart as to why you're here.
I was deep in my alcohol use prior to being pregnant. Meaning I was a weekend warrior, binge drinker. The moment I found out I was pregnant I didn't touch it until he was 6 weeks old.
My regret, I didn't go to AA and start working a program of recovery while I was pregnant. Things old be much different (however I'm greatful to be where I am currently).
Please, stop drinking and start working on your recovery, build a foundation of sobriety for when the hardship of motherhood hits you (it will) you're ready with a toolbox to utalize.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're here, E1234! Not drinking during pregnancy was hard (I kept it down to a glass of wine or two here or there) and freaking out about FAS was the worst (I got wasted before finding out I was pregnant). He was perfect and healthy and he's smart and darling.
BUT. This is really important. PLEASE get yourself locked into a recovery program now. Postpartum hormones are a cyclone of chaos and postpartum depression is incredibly common. I thought I was free of the addiction because I was able to moderate in pregnancy, but then it joined forces with the PPD and the sleep deprivation and the crazy pressure of keeping the little critter alive and healthy. and now I'm struggling to quit because I know that I'll never have control of it.
It's going to be harder after the baby is born. Please get help now! I wish I had!!!
Old 05-07-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep talking. Find whatever help you can face to face and stick close here.

When we drown ourselves in fear, shame and isolation it's a fast road back to a drink.

Don't compare anyone else's situation to yours. There is no way to know what will happen. The best thing for you and baby, is to stop drinking and take, very, very good care of yourself.

And when I put the emphasis on very- I mean emotionally, mentally, spiritually as much as physically.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome E1234,

So glad you found us. I did not drink once I found out I was pregnant, but did drink prior to knowing I was pregnant with each of my kids, and they all turned out fine, stopping now is very important.

Like some of the others have said get a plan for recovery now. I started drinking again a few months after each of them were born, and I wish I hadn't. Being a sober parent has been so much better.

It would be great for you and pumpkin to support each other. You can do this.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As a person who has signs and lives with the effects of a mother who drank and smoked during her pregnancy, I am begging you to stop.

I didn't ask to be born, and I certainly didn't ask for all of the issues I have as a result of her choices.

You don't "own" the person growing inside you. Since you decided to keep the baby, start making choices in the child's best interest.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Have you spoken to your obgyn or midwife? Do that ASAP and heed the advice they give you. You won’t be the only person ever to have been in your position, so try not to worry too much about the reaction; the important thing is that you get help now. All my very best to you.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey pumpkin <3 I haven’t seen any activity from you recently, I hope you’re doing ok <3 thinking of you..
Old 10-03-2020, 12:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by E1234 View Post
I posted this same post under alcoholism earlier but I’m posting it here as well in hopes I can talk to a few more people- I’m alone with my thoughts feeling scared.
Sorry if you’re seeing this for a second time..

I’ve had a problem with alcohol for about 5 years. I found out I was 7 weeks pregnant in December. For the first couple of months I obstained from alcohol but in the last few months I have slipped a couple times and had 4-5 glasses of wine on one occasion.
I feel terrible, like I want to die. I have so much guilt it’s hard to look my husband in the eye.
He doesn’t know but if he ever found out he would leave me. He knows I’ve had a problem and left me in the past but came back to work on things when we found out I was pregnant.

Yesterday I drank while he was at work and I feel disgusting. I just keep praying and hope my baby is ok. I feel terrible.

As of now all of his ultrasounds and my blood work has come back normal but I’m so afraid I’ve caused new damage.

Does anyone have any advise/ stories?
I’m desperate.

How did your baby end up?
Old 10-03-2020, 01:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LissyLou
you may not get answers from these posters cos the threads are old - 2 are from 2015 and one from 2013.

you might find that starting your own thread might get you more response?

D