Notices

Dear boss of my dream job

Old 04-25-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dear boss of my dream job

Dear boss,

After 15 years of hard work to finally reach my career goal of becoming a Sr. Global [blank] of [blank], I'm now no longer able to perform any of those duties because I have become one royal alcoholic.

Because of the specialized nature of my field and me being the single point of contact for most of it, I know it would be detrimental if I were to ask for extended time off. Hence why my alcoholism has absolutely exploded over the last 4 years... there's simply never a good time to take off and fix it.

With hundreds of millions of dollars on the line, do you think our customers would mind pressing pause on their projects for 30 (preferably 90) days, while I go get sober and start getting healthy again? Or should I keep drinking because the company and our customers depend on it?

-
Get real. I mean seriously, who can afford to take off work for 30 days and expect their job to be right there where they left it? Even with benefits, I can't take off for that long.

So I keep drinking and dying. Hating myself while nobly feeding my family.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you considered maybe a week off at a hospital for detox and attending meetings of some sort and working a program of recovery?
It has been done and you too can do it. You have to want it.
I would do whatever it takes to be sober... I did do whatever it takes as my life and my son's life depended on it. Money, can't take that **** with you to the grave but the influence you left behind you will still be around, hopefully the torch won't be passed down. That's what I hope for my son, to see sobriety and not want to follow the path of drugs and alcohol like I did.

I wish you well,
DC
Old 04-25-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That’s why IOPs exist.
They often have AA & SMART meetings too.
Plenty of people work and seek treatment at the same time—including guys in finance, management consulting, equity derivatives, corporate lawyers & medical professionals alike.
I’ve heard lots of very good things.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not necessary to take 30 days off work to get sober. Going to rehab can be very helpful, but if you want to stop drinking, you can do it. I'd suggest talking to your dr and then detoxing over a long weekend or a few days off. You could find support at AA or check out AVRT. Many of us use SR as a great support for our recovery. I hope you decide to stop drinking.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, I thought getting prescribed benzos minimise withdrawal symptoms so you could possibly take these in place of alcohol and get through the detox while working. Of course, if you go cold turkey or try to do it yourself, you'll be sick and need time off. But my understanding is doctors prescribe medication which essentially mimics the effect of alcohol in the brain so you can just take those until detox is complete and then gradually taper off them as per your doctor's advice. This makes withdrawal symptoms minimal. There's additional medication the doctor can prescribe like naltrexone which gives you a terrible reaction when drinking so you are forced to abstain without having to go to meetings and do a proper program if this is something you don't feel like you'll have time to do with your work schedule...
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newlyaddicted View Post
Hey, I thought getting prescribed benzos minimise withdrawal symptoms so you could possibly take these in place of alcohol and get through the detox while working. Of course, if you go cold turkey or try to do it yourself, you'll be sick and need time off. But my understanding is doctors prescribe medication which essentially mimics the effect of alcohol in the brain so you can just take those until detox is complete and then gradually taper off them as per your doctor's advice. This makes withdrawal symptoms minimal. There's additional medication the doctor can prescribe like naltrexone which gives you a terrible reaction when drinking so you are forced to abstain without having to go to meetings and do a proper program if this is something you don't feel like you'll have time to do with your work schedule...
Though should mention this is just based on what I've read, and some people might still need medical supervision even when taking the appropriate medication to make coming off alcohol safer. Based on your situation, I think it would be best to see a doctor, tell them about your situation/time constraints etc and see what they advise. I'm sure they'll prescribe some medications to help.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

There are a lot of very powerful business executives who are forced to take 30 days off (or more) and do so, finally ridding themselves of their alcoholism.

Sorry, but I find that sort of thinking a way to talk yourself into remaining an alcoholic.

Depending on your state law, there may not be anything they can do, as it's a perfectly legitimate health reason. You would also be surprised how many people facing this situation are accepted back because they had a problem and dealt with it. Going back to the same job where people know you had a problem and are trying to beat it is great accountability to KEEP you sober.

Try no rehab and doing some program of recovery...AA, SMART, etc, and see if that works for more than six months. If not, try IOP, see if that works for six months. If neither, then you probably need to try inpatient rehab. If you need medical detox, that can happen first. You can probably do that over a long weekend. If it would take longer than that, your job security is the least of your problems.

Do you really think you're the first senior VP/Director or whatever to have to go to rehab?

Sorry bud, you're just not that special nor entitled. There are lots of people in your situation who manage to get sober through outpatient rehab. I have known two in a very competitive industry where I used to work, and have met many others in recovery.

Also as I said above, there are many solutions other than outpatient rehab that won't require you to be away from the job for 30 days.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The other side of the coin is what happens if you keep drinking and lose your job?

D
Old 04-26-2018, 01:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got to the point where it was a certainty that I would lose my high-powered, high-paying "dream job" if I kept drinking.

Discipline and drive got you to where you are. Now apply them to the biggest job of your life. Getting sober.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m a senior global blank of blank myself.

I didn’t take time off to get sober. I went to AA, therapy, my doctor, here.....

I actually saw my performance drastically improve and my respect within the organization go way up and my morale toward the career bolstered and my whole outlook on life lifted.

Feeding one’s family while killing oneself with booze is less noble than one might like to believe.

I feel for you, but what I hear in your words is an alcoholic’s rationalization to keep on drinking.

We all have commitments and responsibilities. Your fancy global dream job doesn’t make you special. It doesn’t make you trapped. What’s making you trapped is your choice to keep on drinking.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So I keep drinking and dying. Hating myself while nobly feeding my family.

that al sure reads like an excuse to keep drinking and i hope youre not looking for cosigners of the lie here.
there are LOTS of people here who have gotten sober without taking time off of work.

BP, take this how ya want, but youre here talking about a job, yet what about your family and how they are being affected? what about how YOU are being affected?
why are you making a job a higher priority that the well being of yourself and your family?

With hundreds of millions of dollars on the line, do you think our customers would mind pressing pause on their projects for 30 (preferably 90) days, while I go get sober and start getting healthy again?

you say youre no longer able to perform the duties for them as is.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It sounds certain that you should quit drinking, with the only question being when. The choice then becomes one between quitting now - when it feels like a hassle and not strictly necessary and quite uncomfortable - and later, when your health forces you to or you lose your job, which will bring your life crashing down, perhaps in a very humiliating fashion, forcing you to reassess your priorities. How do I know this? hmmmm
Old 04-26-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I was a victim of circumstance, too.
I got better when I decided not to be.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't think many people would want the decisions that affect their retirement and investments to be made by someone who is losing control to alcohol.

It's illegal and unethical to operate a motor vehicle under the influence.
To handle other people's millions under the influence is somehow OK?
Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The other side of the coin is what happens if you keep drinking and lose your job?

D
That is the reality. At some point, the alcohol charade will end. You just don't know when.

As others have mentioned, you don't have to disappear for 30 days, as there are other ways to address this.

"Where there is a will, there is a way."
Old 04-26-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As my husband likes to say, graveyard is full of Very Important People, and the companies they worked for kept on moving. Many Very Important People left their jobs abruptly for new ones, and the companies they left kept going.

I’m a Vice President of blankety blank and I’m still fighting for sobriety because my life is the most important thing. My kids won’t comfort themselves about my being arrested or possibly dying by remembering that I was Very Important to my company.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds like self sabotaging behavior. Get real and figure out if you actually want to fail, if perhaps you lack the horsepower or will to take on your demons.

TomSteve says it best:

'that all sure reads like an excuse to keep drinking and i hope youre not looking for cosigners of the lie here. there are LOTS of people here who have gotten sober without taking time off of work.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

try being hourly with only 2 weeks vac 1 week sick time and 1 week personal.. and you have to hang on to 3 days of off time to use for holidays.. I had a small stroke in March right here at work.. know what that means.. yep I could become someone they need to get rid of ASAP because I am a liability to the company and to the staff.. or try the week after.. just starting to feel better have been back at work for 4 days and a dumb ass rear ends my car..

drink kiddo if I could afford to have one every night after work.. and it would not help anything .. my right shoulder is screwed from the hit.. emotionally I go in to tears at the drop of a hat. miss my kids my Mom my family... and know what there is nothing for the hourly employee..

you are an exec there are a ton of programs for your group that can help so much.. time at a spa a detox group Team building..and you have a staff.. have them help .. a Team is more then just 1. and you can beat this.. I did. and will keep holding tight.. it was hard.. in the 1980's I was part of Marketing and Advertising... had to sign forms that said I did not drink .. well much.. comparing to the group I ended up with.ekekek.. ok so I had a Tea.. it turned out to be a Long Island Ice Tea .. I had a ball.. in complete clown face that was part of our team building and I was off to the circus in the best style.. the Hotel to this day has a photo of me with the staff all in face makeup.. hahahahah... there were no programs back in the 1980's... just buck up grow a pair and have another... or get patted on the butt. hahahahah ....

you can do this kiddo .. you have the best reason in the world for doing it.. YOUR FAMILY>>>>>> prayers love and an old LadyClown that sends lots of laughter..
Old 04-26-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

love this to bits .. for it says so much.. and back in the day. why did so many lose so much.. yep... hang tight you can do this..

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I don't think many people would want the decisions that affect their retirement and investments to be made by someone who is losing control to alcohol.

It's illegal and unethical to operate a motor vehicle under the influence.
To handle other people's millions under the influence is somehow OK?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There are a few of us big cheeses of big cheese round here and you know what? One day at a time. Start now. Simples.